Security & Privacy, Personal information, Stolen Identities, Protecting Our Family - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
Big Borg Reptiles
Talk about paranoia.

If someone wanted to find my information they could do so whether or not I have a fauna account lol. The point of requiring a real name and real location is so that people know who they're actually doing business with. I've actually looked people up based on their name and location to decide if I trusted them to send money for an animal. If I don't even know who you are, why would I want to do business with you?

As Dan said, if you feel it poses that great of a threat to your safety for people to know your name, you don't need to be here. There are other places you can be, I'm sure.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #12
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I am not one of these ponzi importer scammers. I am a local guy wanting to get a couple inexpensive snakes for his daughters,.
And I'm sure if you WERE a scammer you'd be the first to tell us, right?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #13
skygear
My question is this. If I am a buyer, and you are a retailer or breeder with good rep. Why would there be an issue.? I send money via PayPal, you and I are both protected. NOW, you know my name and info since PP shows all that.

I PP invoice people multiple times daily without issue. In the rare instance there is a discrepancy, we handle it through PP and the funds are reversed, refunded, or a case is made with supporting facts.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #14
skygear
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
And I'm sure if you WERE a scammer you'd be the first to tell us, right?
Traditionally a scammer would be as low key as possible. I am an in your face enthusiastic poster that voices my opinions publicly,.

From my dealings with scammers on boards I run, they have a go with the flow and blend into the crowd persona. Nothing that would trigger red flags in the registration process and bring attention to themselves.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #15
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
My question is this. If I am a buyer, and you are a retailer or breeder with good rep. Why would there be an issue.? I send money via PayPal, you and I are both protected. NOW, you know my name and info since PP shows all that.

I PP invoice people multiple times daily without issue. In the rare instance there is a discrepancy, we handle it through PP and the funds are reversed, refunded, or a case is made with supporting facts.
That's actually not true. There are people who will send funds via paypal and then reverse the transaction, or claim that the charges made were fraudulent, or any number of other excuses to have the payment reversed. It might end up working out fine for the seller, but it will be a HUGE headache either way. If I can look you up and make sure you sound like a legitimate person, then I will do business with you.

I have sold a lot of animals online. I ALWAYS look up the buyer to make sure that they don't have a history of screwing people over. It is simply good business sense to avoid feeling like an idiot later. If you asked to buy something from me and told me your name was moto mike from FEMA Region III, I literally wouldn't even respond to you.

I don't think you understand how safe people play things in the reptile world. If ANYTHING seems fishy or out of place, I will back out of the transaction. End of story.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #16
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Traditionally a scammer would be as low key as possible. I am an in your face enthusiastic poster that voices my opinions publicly,.

From my dealings with scammers on boards I run, they have a go with the flow and blend into the crowd persona. Nothing that would trigger red flags in the registration process and bring attention to themselves.
That's also not true. You haven't been here very long.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 AM   #17
Big Borg Reptiles
I'm not going to argue this with you any more, either you'll put your real name and location or I won't see you again. Doesn't matter to me either way, just telling you the facts.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #18
skygear
The difference is this though. If I wanted to do business with someone, I would PM them and introduce myself. Divulging my real name and contact details.

If I found you on the net and emailed you, or called. You wouldn't have any reference to base a transaction off of.

In the instance of your site in particular, If I wanted a python or boa, I would call and do business over the phone. Again, most likely introducing myself as 'Mike' and giving you my real details and CC info that matches that. OR under my business name "Moto Mike" or the other "skygear" and conduct business as usual.

I know some of the reptiles are tens of thousands. I am trying to track down a $100 specimen, then buy 2 of them. Leucistic Rat & Melanistic Rat - Nothing like a high end ball or boa.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #19
Big Borg Reptiles
I understand what you're saying, but from my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong Rich), the fact that people post their name and location has NEVER led to any form of identity theft on this site. I personally have my business email, personal cell number, and picture of myself available on my website that is posted at the bottom of every single one of my posts. The fact of the matter is, I have nothing to hide. I am completely transparent with people because that's the sort of business I believe in.

I have had people who I have never spoken with call me or email me with questions about snakes. It has never been an issue. If they're looking to buy, I usually tell them to text me or email me with details (so that it is documented), but there is absolutely no need for someone to send me a formal message first to introduce themselves. I don't need to know someone's life story to give them a snake, I just won't deal with someone that sounds fishy from the get go. That's all there is to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #20
skygear
Quote:
That's also not true. You haven't been here very long.
Nope, I haven't been. I have stuck to the for sale sections for YEARS just looking at Pics not getting involved in the politics of things. We are ready to get what we had our hearts set on and thus why I registered. I see people upset over scammers. I am not an 18 year old trying to impress some high school sweet heart, nor a middle aged man having a mid life crisis over a $5000 reptile.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue this with you any more, either you'll put your real name and location or I won't see you again. Doesn't matter to me either way, just telling you the facts.
I understand and still anyone could give a false name upon registration is my point here. No one would be the wiser. Anyone could put in a false location or use a proxy to spoof the IP location so everything seems in line. If someone was going after some high dollar animals or scamming, that would be a method I could see people using.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!