A good book on Monitors? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
polasian
A good book on Monitors?

Can anyone recommend a good book on Monitors? I'm looking for something with general info....something that doesn't just focus on one Monitor species.

At this point, it looks like "Monitor Lizards, Natural History, Captive Care and Breeding" is a good bet?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
hhmoore
This may not be what you are looking for, but it's a great book. http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Lizards-.../dp/0866226346

That IS an older book, but there is always the 2nd edition, which has a 2009 copyright:
Giant Lizards: The Definitive Guide to the Natural History, Care, and Breeding of Monitors, Iguanas, Tegus, and Other Large Lizards
http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Lizards-...d_sim_b_4#noop

Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
TailsWithScales
I feel books yes are great and infromative but very generic. If you want more information anyone is more then welcome to PM me and I'll do my absolute best to help out.

Living Dragons: A Natural History of the World's Monitor Lizards

Author: Rodney Steel

Hardcover: 160 pages
Publisher: Ralph Curtis Publishing (November 1, 1996)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0883590409
ISBN-13: 978-0883590409

A well done general overview of varanid lizards featuring individual accounts for all the monitors, plus coverage of the Burrowing or Earless Monitor of Borneo, Beaded Lizards and the Gila Monster, and the extinct marine varanids the Mosasaurs. Much information on each species habits and habitats. A must have title for anyone interested in monitors. Fully illustrated with 36 excellent color photos, b/w line illustrations, maps..

And for some even deeper reading

Monitors: The Biology of Varanid Lizards

Authors: Dennis King and Brian Green, illustrated by Frank Knight, Keith Newgrain and Jo Eberhard.

Published by Krieger Publishing Company. ISBN 1575241129. Recommended retail price $25.50.

Australia is home to a rich and unique fauna but few Australian animals are as intriguing as its monitor lizards. Their abundance and bold behavior has made them a familiar favorite with generations of Australian bushwalkers, campers and even picnickers. In an easy-to-read style, Monitors: The Biology of Varanid Lizards covers the fascinating natural history of these ancient animals, which includes the world's largest lizard, the Komodo dragon.

This book is an update of the successful 1993 Australian Natural History Series title, Goanna. Since the publication of the first edition, many major studies have been undertaken in Australian, Asian and African species of monitors (goannas) and much fascinating new information regarding varanid lizards has emerged. For instance, research on Varanus albigularis has revealed that they can count, while work on V. salvator shows that they swim in the ocean when not searching for food. These findings plus other new information in areas as diverse as taxonomy, diet, breeding, behavior, and energetics have been incorporated into this text. Two new additions are chapter on parasites of varanids and a section on foraging strategy. Soft cover, 116 pages. This edition published in 1999.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
Can anyone recommend a good book on Monitors? I'm looking for something with general info....something that doesn't just focus on one Monitor species.

At this point, it looks like "Monitor Lizards, Natural History, Captive Care and Breeding" is a good bet?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Are you looking for natural history information or husbandry?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
Are you looking for natural history information or husbandry?
A bit of both...a book that focuses on husbandry, yet doesn't ignore the natural history. Back in the day (wow, just typing that makes me feel old) when I was reading up on the husbandry aspect...I often found myself asking the question "Why?"

Why does this monitor require so little humidity and why does that monitor require so much...etc... I need a book that wont just give blind instructions...but one that will also elaborate on them. I think the best way to do that is to describe what part of the world diff monitors come from. These monitors come from the desert and those monitors come from the tropics ..."I get it now...that's why the diff in humidity requirements...it makes perfect sense!"

I want the read to stimulate some thought, so an all inclusive book would be best. Actually, Christine, you posted on that thread dealing with the kid who couldn't tell the difference between a Nile and a Water monitor...this book is for him. So yea...we got our work cut out for us lol...it needs to be a very informative book . By the way Christine, that was very nice of you to offer advice and info to that kid. I PMed him to make sure that if hes serious about learning this stuff, to take you up on that.

After researching the above titles, I'm thinking that the second book that Harald mentioned is the one! I'll end up buying a book within the next couple weeks, so if anyone can provide more titles, that would be great. However, at this point... "Giant Lizards: The Definitive Guide to the Natural History, Care, and Breeding of Monitors, Iguanas, Tegus, and Other Large Lizards" ...looks like the winner. Thanks Harald.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
TailsWithScales
Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
A bit of both...a book that focuses on husbandry, yet doesn't ignore the natural history. Back in the day (wow, just typing that makes me feel old) when I was reading up on the husbandry aspect...I often found myself asking the question "Why?"

Why does this monitor require so little humidity and why does that monitor require so much...etc... I need a book that wont just give blind instructions...but one that will also elaborate on them. I think the best way to do that is to describe what part of the world diff monitors come from. These monitors come from the desert and those monitors come from the tropics ..."I get it now...that's why the diff in humidity requirements...it makes perfect sense!"

I want the read to stimulate some thought, so an all inclusive book would be best. Actually, Christine, you posted on that thread dealing with the kid who couldn't tell the difference between a Nile and a Water monitor...this book is for him. So yea...we got our work cut out for us lol...it needs to be a very informative book . By the way Christine, that was very nice of you to offer advice and info to that kid. I PMed him to make sure that if hes serious about learning this stuff, to take you up on that.

After researching the above titles, I'm thinking that the second book that Harald mentioned is the one! I'll end up buying a book within the next couple weeks, so if anyone can provide more titles, that would be great. However, at this point... "Giant Lizards: The Definitive Guide to the Natural History, Care, and Breeding of Monitors, Iguanas, Tegus, and Other Large Lizards" ...looks like the winner. Thanks Harald.
Book are definitely an excellent learning tool. But they do not teach for the reasons you already stated. Each species can have their over husbandry requirements even though they're from the same continent or even close in locality. So that's where getting in touch with long time keepers (IMO) is important for learning. I hope he (?) also takes you and I up on the offer. I'm more then willing to help pass on what little pearls of wisdom I have.

Glad a book was decided upon and thank you for taking the step in helping another herper learn. Very important in this hobby.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Tim Cole
Thumbs up

It might be overkill but I highly recommend "Varanoid Lizards of the World".

Edited by Eric R. Pianka and Dennis R. King with Ruth Allen King.

Not only is this an excellent id book but the natural history information is excellent for providing proper husbandry.

Each species account is broken down to Geographic Distribution, Diagnostic Characteristics, Size, Terrestrial, Arboreal, or Aquatic, Time of Activity, Foraging Behavior, Diet, Reproduction, Fat Bodies, and Parasites.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
TailsWithScales
Thumbs up

Quote:

Not only is this an excellent id book but the natural history information is excellent for providing proper husbandry.

Each species account is broken down to Geographic Distribution, Diagnostic Characteristics, Size, Terrestrial, Arboreal, or Aquatic, Time of Activity, Foraging Behavior, Diet, Reproduction, Fat Bodies, and Parasites.
Oh good one. Completely forgot about that. Huh. Way to go!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
polasian
Quote:

Thank you Tim! I just checked it out and it has a lot of great reviews.

OK, so Its between Varanoid Lizards of the World and Giant Lizards: The Definitive Guide to the Natural History, Care, and Breeding of Monitors, Iguanas, Tegus, and Other Large Lizards. I'll go pick up one of those two books within a couple weeks. Thanks Harald, Christine and Tim for your help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!