Your #1 choice of cageing for hots? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
ccole74
Your #1 choice of cageing for hots?

If you had a good deal of money to spend on cageing and environmental controls, and handling tool what would you get. Ware would you spend less and ware would you go all out ? To make it easey say you were keeping small to mid sized snakes.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
hhmoore
IMO, much of what I would want/need would vary according to the snakes I was keeping.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
ccole74
Say you were getting it for Pygmy rattler or copper head size snakes. None of the exotic ones and no tree dwellers.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
hhmoore
I would look for Neodesha cages - they had their flaws, but the slant front made for great access with a hook (+ they are easily secured/locked and double screened).
-A couple of decent hooks - for that size range, species selection, I prefer something with a narrower V style opening (vs the wider C style) - one in the 30-36" range, and one around 42". There are a number of options to choose from - comfort and ease of use are huge factors (some just don't feel right to me, I don't care how much anybody else loves them). Personally, I don't like tongs...never have; therefore, they were never part of my equipment list. Regardless, they are a good option for animals in that size range. 18 inch hemostats for feeding, restraining tubes, and specula. These items can all be obtained through Midwest Tongs. (note - the use of restraining tubes and oral specula involves hands on, and accordingly increases the risk to the inexperienced. As a rule, I would say if you don't know what you are doing, don't...but if the care of the animals requires hands on, do it correctly and safely).
-Environmental controls - the options are numerous, and the choices dependent on a variety of issues (cage choice, setup - especially if multiple cages are involved, room temp, temp stability, etc).
IMO, the project does not necessarily require lots of money...obviously, the acquisition of suitable caging will likely be the biggest expenditure (especially if you are talking about keeping multiple animals).

Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Tim Cole
Lots of choices...

Like Harold, I prefer neodesha cages. I buy my hooks from Animal Capture Equipment, INC. I especially like the poly carbonate hooks.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
hhmoore
*my prior post was not intended to be a plug for Midwest Tongs - it just happened to be a place I knew carried all the items mentioned. Honestly, my hooks were made by the husband of a friend, using golf club shafts. I'm sure some would consider them awkward and unwieldy, but I've been using them a long time and am very comfortable with them.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Tim Cole
My post

was a plug! LOL What ever works and you are comfortable with is the way to go. Used Neos are out there and are worth the money. I just had a litter of 16 atrox born in a 6ft vision and they were tricky to find due to the window tracks.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
ccole74
I bet you had fun digging them out of there!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
christophermchale
i used neodeshas when i lived in the states.

over here i use herpteks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!