my leos got a stomach bug - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
Clucky
my leos got a stomach bug

I bought an albino gecko from regal reptiles in providence RI AND IT APPEARED TO BE IN GOOD HEALTH ALTHOUGH it was not housed properly and was propably stressed being on mulck with about 6-7 other leos without any hides. anyway ,after a couple days it ate but not much and about a few weeks later it was not eating at all and had diarreah . Now a few of my high yellows have stopped eating and they too have diarreah so i think that it may be a bacterial infection. My vet wont just do a fecal ,thhey need me to bring in the gecko for an exam then do the fecal. so what im going to do is take the stool samples from all the sick geckos and mix them and tell the vet the stool is from the albino because if i tell him the stool msamples are from other geckos he will me to bring them in as well for a 40.00$ examination fee before he does the fecal. I hate pet shops that do not house animals properly were someone like me takes an animal home and it infects all the other animals.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
xlb57
That's why they say you should always quarantine any new animals when you bring them home and introduce them to other animals. Good luck with yours.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Milwaukee Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clucky
I bought an albino gecko from regal reptiles in providence RI AND IT APPEARED TO BE IN GOOD HEALTH ALTHOUGH it was not housed properly and was propably stressed being on mulck with about 6-7 other leos without any hides. anyway ,after a couple days it ate but not much and about a few weeks later it was not eating at all and had diarreah . Now a few of my high yellows have stopped eating and they too have diarreah so i think that it may be a bacterial infection.
Diarreah is usually a sign of internal parasites. The geckos will contract them quite easily when placed in groups, and they may not show signs of it until they get really bad.

Many caresheets will recommend a quarantine period of anywhere from 60-90 days. This means seperate dishes, seperate food, seperate encloses, and sometimes seperate rooms. There is a reason that caresheets suggest this (Especially for pet-store bought animals), and your problem is a prime example. If you need some info on this, see:
http://www.milwaukeereptiles.com/leopardGeckoCare.php
the page contains links to over 10 caresheets, multiple pages on other Care issues, and even two books (including 'Understanding Reptile Parasites').

Quote:
My vet wont just do a fecal ,thhey need me to bring in the gecko for an exam then do the fecal.
Maybe your vet won't but another might. The two vets closest to me are the same way, but I found one about 20 minutes away that will do it, and all they need is the weight of the animal. The best part is that it's only $14 each. You should call around and see if another vet will do it without a visit.

Quote:
so what im going to do is take the stool samples from all the sick geckos and mix them and tell the vet the stool is from the albino because if i tell him the stool msamples are from other geckos he will me to bring them in as well for a 40.00$ examination fee before he does the fecal.
Bad idea... each one will be infected at a different rate. If the vet prescribes some meds, they do it based on the amount of parasites they find. Since each gecko will likely have varying amounts, you may give the dosage the vet recommends, but be giving some not enough meds (bad, cause they'll never get rid of them), or too much meds (Bad, cause some meds can do serious damage when overdosed). Of course that doesn't take into account the varying weights of an animal, and since dosage is usually based on weight, unless they all weigh the exact same amount, dosages will be off again.

Quote:
I hate pet shops that do not house animals properly were someone like me takes an animal home and it infects all the other animals.
Don't we all. Almost as much as I dislike people who buy animals without having the financial resources to back it up, or without knowing all they can about their care... but I won't go there right now.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Clucky
I think it the two others got this parasite because when i purchased the albino the first week it seemed fine but then the second week it went downhill and i probably threw its leftover food into the others cage (bad thing).

Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Clucky
also why do i have to charged for each gecko exam which is 45.00 just to see it. They appear to be very healthy but they have the sqirts .Ill bring one in so the vet can tell that they appear healthy and pay the 45.00 plus the 18 .00 fecal not countin meds. So im not about to bring evrey one in 4 x 45.00 =180.00 just to look at healthy leos because its their crap is what im concered about.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
Milwaukee Reptiles
Quote:
I think it the two others got this parasite because when i purchased the albino the first week it seemed fine but then the second week it went downhill and i probably threw its leftover food into the others cage (bad thing).
That would do it. If the crickets ate a little bit of the parasite-infected poo, it's very feasible that the new ones got it from eating the crickets.

Quote:
also why do i have to charged for each gecko exam which is 45.00 just to see it.
As I said, call around long enough and you're bound to find someone who will do a fecal without doing an entire exam.
Quote:
They appear to be very healthy but they have the sqirts .
The fact that they appeared healthy has nothing to do with actually being healthy. Leopard Geckos (like many wild animals), have to hide their weaknesses for fear of becoming prey, and this is something still seen in their instinct. Most geckos are pretty far along by the time they start showing symptoms.

Quote:
Ill bring one in so the vet can tell that they appear healthy and pay the 45.00 plus the 18 .00 fecal not countin meds. So im not about to bring evrey one in 4 x 45.00 =180.00 just to look at healthy leos because its their crap is what im concered about.
I'm not so much against only taking in a few in at a time to see what's wrong, but I am against mixing their poop when doing a fecal. And again, look around. Surely there is more than one vet (even if you have to drive a little bit). If that won''t do, maybe you could take one in, get the exam and the fecal, and mention that you have a few that are displaying similar symptoms, and were hoping that they could do just a fecal. Bring photos and weights with you to show them. Surely they'd be more open to a paying customer. The point is you don't have to spend a fortune, but you DO have to get the leos the care they need, and that includes proper diagnosis/dosage.

I still stand by my statement about not buying animals you can't afford to take care of. I'm not saying that you should have to spend the full $180, but you should be prepared to spend whatever is necessary to help the little guys/girls. If you can't afford to keep them healthy, you should save the money you're spending buying/breeding leopard geckos. I'm not saying you can't, but you can stop ranting about the cost anytime. There are plenty of other people who would give them the care they need.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Clucky
what is not getting through to you is that the vets are out sqeeze that last buck out of your pocket plus the vet visit isnt till next friday and is the only one my area that deals with exotics. I love my geckos and I will everything possible to see them thrive. I just hope this vet will give me break so I dont have to bring in every leo for the same parasite .

Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
I agree, call around, my vet is a part time science teacher and does my fecals for $10 if I take in only a few and when I do random testing every few months I take in 30 and she does them for $4 each by letting students do them and her checking them.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Milwaukee Reptiles
You obviously don't have a high view of vets... kinda sad really. How about Doctors? You think it costs them $2000 for an x-ray and a cast? I found vets to be pretty reasonable if you call, explain the situation, and try to work something out.

You can try calling local vet schools or universities... the point is that there are options, but you have to look for it. I don't want to hear complaining about the cost when you refuse to spend a little effort and look around. Now it really sounds like you're just looking to complain about the cost. Guess what, if it's too expensive send them to me and I'll make sure they get the care they need, regardless of the cost.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
Clucky
no need to be all tensed up about the situation , it seems that its something other than my post that is pickin at ya little fella

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!