Aggressive Behavior - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #11
shaunfe23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Are you familiar with what stuck eye (cap) shed is? If so does he have that or any other eye condition that you can see. Any chance of attaching a picture of his eyes?
Name:  2018_10_16_23.08.27.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  374.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20181014_231310352.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  261.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20181014_231318158.jpg
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20181014_231330267.jpg
Size:  241.0 KB

From what I'm seeing online it doesn't look like he has a stuck eye cap but I'm no expert on the matter. If these aren't good enough quality I can work on getting some better pictures.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
shaunfe23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I think that Robert's question about his eyes is a very good one. I had a very "strike-y" snake who was blind in one eye and sometimes struck out inappropriately.

I don't think he'd take the smell of your cat as food, but I always think it's a good idea to wash hands thoroughly before handling a snake anyway - gets rid of any food smells you have on you, as well.

I understand completely that you are now nervous of him - the problem is you may be communicating this to him as well. If you are nervous and jerky, he'll feel less secure and will tighten his hold, making you more nervous , etc etc.

Just a few suggestions that have worked for me...

Limit handling to once a week or less. More is probably too much.

Make sure the environment is calm and slightly dim, not too much light or other people dashing about (perhaps no TV...)

When you handle him, concentrate on the back half of his body, stay away from his face

Don't let anyone else handle him for now - stick to just you and him

Sit down to handle him so that he is on your lap, not grasped in your hands

Handle him on a towel laid over your lap, with a few folds in it so that he can hide under it if he wants to. (And so that you can throw it over his head if you feel he is getting agitated)

Let him roam around a bit, only move him gently back onto your lap if he is getting away from your area of control

If you are really nervous, wear gloves for a while until you have regained trust. Don't make them too thick though - you do need to feel that you are not squeezing him too hard.

And finally - my snakes feed every 2 weeks. I like to handle them about 5 days after I have fed them - not too soon after feeding so that they stress out and regurgitate or poop on me, but not when they are most hungry. Can you work out a handling schedule on a similar basis?
I appreciate the advice and I'll work on some of these strategies when handling him in the future. I like the idea of using a towel and I think that will help me feel more comfortable with handling him if he starts to get too agitated.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Helenthereef
Eyes look clear and bright to me. It's hard to tell from these photos, but he looks a little less chubby than many ball pythons - what's your feeding regime? (maybe he's just a bit peckish?)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!