Our Pastel Has an Overbite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
ClairJ246
Our Pastel Has an Overbite

We purchased an early 2010 male Pastel from a friend who we have bought MANY snakes from and we trust completely. I never asked him where he got our boy from (I can if it matters) but he said that the snake came with a short bottom jaw. He says its from bad incubation, and that it will grow out soon. He is a wonderful eater topping at 505 grams. He hasn't eaten for us just because he was stressed from the move, then we had an accident with him where he got stuck on a bar and was smashed in our new tank and broken a large number of ribs. Don't worry that bar was quickly cut off. He is ok, moving everything and just has a few scraps. We are just giving him a rest and healing him up. He's feeding on sm f/t rats. I guess the reason Im posting all this is Im wondering if he will restore that bottom jaw, and does it affect his value if we were to sell him. I have a pic of just his colors, not his jaw. Ill get one up soon.

Name:  Senor.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  198.7 KB

Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
KY Reptiles
Sounds like a birth defects that will stay that way, especially if he is already 500g.

If he is gonna be a pet then great! But I wouldn't breed him for fear of passing it on.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidkitty View Post
Sounds like a birth defects that will stay that way, especially if he is already 500g.

If he is gonna be a pet then great! But I wouldn't breed him for fear of passing it on.
As far as his value, I would certainly think that the birth defect would effect his value.

How long have you had him? How long ago were his ribs broken? And what did you mean when you said, "He is ok, moving everything and just has a few scraps."?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
phoenix-cry
Looks like this guy has been through a lot! As far as value, unfortunately with such a large flaw he's worthless as a breeder. However he's priceless as a loving pet! I would go back to the guy that you purchased him from and ask for a refund (with you keeping the snake). It was *very* unethical of him to sell you a snake with a lower jaw and tell you that he'd 'out grow it'. That's a defect of the bone and will never change.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Focal
How bad is the overbite? Any closer pics? That's a damn good looking pastel!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
snakesRkewl
With friends like that who needs .....NVM
I agree with Lauren, the snake is not worth anything as a breeder and is a rescue
at this point and needs to be treated as such.
IMO the snake has been damaged and has no monetary value.

Quote:
then we had an accident with him where he got stuck on a bar and was smashed in our new tank and broken a large number of ribs. Don't worry that bar was quickly cut off. He is ok, moving everything and just has a few scraps. We are just giving him a rest and healing him up
Who told you the ribs were broke?
I'd hope a vet but it doesn't sound like it...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Focal
Why could it not be a breeder? The overbite isn't genetic, doesn't hinder food consumption, and won't make breeding difficult or painful. Just curious as to the opinions on this. Spiders, caramels, and super cinny's are all produced knowing the outcome could be genetic deformities. They are prepared for the worst that could happen, why not with this snake? Not looking to argue, just curious.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
phoenix-cry
It could be genetic, it's not worth the risk. Just cause this seller said it was from a bad incubation doesn't mean that's true. There are any number of reason that the jaw could have been malformed and genetics is up there on the list. As for breeding others with possiablity of genetic defaults like wobble a good breeder will only breed his/her animals with the *least* amount of these faults in hopes of reducing them. A good breeder wouldn't take a spider with a horrendous wobble and breed it even if the wobble didn't effect it's ablity to breed.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Why could it not be a breeder? The overbite isn't genetic, doesn't hinder food consumption, and won't make breeding difficult or painful. Just curious as to the opinions on this. Spiders, caramels, and super cinny's are all produced knowing the outcome could be genetic deformities. They are prepared for the worst that could happen, why not with this snake? Not looking to argue, just curious.
How do YOU know the overbite isn't genetic? I could just be in his gene pool. You don't know if it is, but why take the risk?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Focal
I realized that post didnt capture what I was actually thinking. I'm not trying to say the guy is lying or not, but we haven't seen the jaw yet and going off what was told, let's say it isn't genetic. Would it be a personal preference or something unhealthy for the snake? I don't think it would be passed on if it wasn't genetic but I have not the experience to say it isn't possible. I'm really looking for reasons why he would not be a good breeder if it isn't genetic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!