Ship your reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
jenco
Ship your reptiles

With ship your reptiles i have a few questions.

1. Are they registered with ups to send live snakes?
2. Do I need to have an invoice in the package, if so what on it?
3. Do I need to label the containers/outside/inside box, or any part with anything? How about common/scientific names of animals.

I just want to make sure I will do everything legally and not break any laws.

Thanks,
Levi

Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
1. Yes.
2. Yes, itemized with quantity, common & scientific names (pretty sure). It needs to be accessible without opening the box. Behind the shipping label with directions to it wrote on the label has been suggested.
3. Yes, common.

4. The first thing that should be visible when the box flaps are open is LIVE HARMLESS SNAKE/LIZARD (which ever you're sending)

If you run a search here you'll pull up a ton of info, syr has instructions on their site and fauna user Triple Moon Exotics (I think that's right) has a really good breakdown on her site.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
jenco
thanks!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
hhmoore
IATA requirements are that both common and scientific names be listed - it doesn't matter which shipping company you use.

An invoice is not strictly required, though some form of itemized listing of the contents is.

I believe that the requirement is that the outside of the box needs to be labeled as containing LIVE animals. There is some difference of opinion on just how specific one needs to be. Personally, I label my boxes with Live Harmless Reptile (or Reptiles), as I don't feel THAT indicator needs to be any more specific than than that.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
jenco
Thanks mate

Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
snowgyre
I agree with Harald. "Live Harmless Reptile" is what I like to use, since some people have a phobia of snakes. People are typically much less inclined to handle a box labeled live snake than live lizard.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
If you run a search here you'll pull up a ton of info, syr has instructions on their site and fauna user Triple Moon Exotics (I think that's right) has a really good breakdown on her site.
Here is the link that goes to my shipping article. It should be noted, SYR does not mention the federal labeling requirements even though it has been requested they do. It is however listed on my site (as well as links to the actual documents provided by F&W).

http://triplemoonsexotic.com/article...less-reptiles/

Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
angie.h
Stephanie[ Triple Moons] break down on shipping is perfect for snakes and up to a point for lizards.Just a slight adjustment if shipping beardies.No heat pack unless temps are below 60,and very little insulation...they are much better off on the cool side,and many delivery trucks heat up if it's sunny out.Also,bearded dragons can even be fed lightly the morning of shipment with no ill effects as long as it's about 5 hours before packing.Baby beardeds cannot go w/out food for 2-3 days.Just thought I'd throw that out there ---no criticism intended.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
The point of not feeding before shipments is to prevent regurgitation and defecation (which I see I forgot to mention) during transit. A long time ago when I dealt with Bearded Dragons I shipped in this manner successfully. But thanks for your opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!