LI Serpentarium-inquiry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
ChaosCat
Angry LI Serpentarium-inquiry

I ordered an '02 male rosy from Patrick (I do not have his last name) at LI Serpentarium.

Has anyone dealt with this person?

I find it rather weird that when we spoke on the phone I swear he said he was shipping it UPS overnight, and instead I get a tracking number for USPS and its scheduled arrival is on Thursday!?!?!

I thought shipping USPS is illegal?

I also hope that there are plenty of very good heat packs in the box, if it arrives dead I am cancelling the CC transaction ASAP.

Old 03-11-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
Shipping snakes via USPS is illegal, and I would not do business with anyone that shipped in that manner. Personally, I would report the individual to his local post office, just so they know what he has been doing.

Hopefully, he will start shipping responsibly. However, anyone shipping a reptile in a manner other than overnight in cold temps, doesn't instill a great deal of confidence in me for doing the "right thing."

Old 03-11-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
ChaosCat
Well, I called Patrick Smith to ask him about it and he tracked the snake. According to him, it was on its way here-left seattle's post office at 10:30am pac.

When I checked USPS' website, they had finally updated the information-and there was a package that left there under that tracking number, but like usual, their website won't give anymore info.

He did say he marked the package 'live reptiles' and that its well packed with a heatpack-and that his local USPS did accept it, knowing there were reptiles inside. (which is odd?)

It is now 5:45 pm Pac time, and still no boa. I'm a little concerned-I thought USPS didn't operate after 5pm?

I really hate writing 'bad people' posts, but folks-never, ever ship your herps via usps, its just not worth the risk! If I would have known this is how he was going to ship, I would have demanded delta or something a little more reliable.

Old 03-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
Beardedsbloods
Try giving your post office a call. There might be someone there that might be able to help

Old 03-11-2003, 09:10 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
The below is my opinion on this sutuation:

If that snake was shipped to you (and I am assuming you meant a Rosy Boa) by way of the post office and not by U.S. Postal Service Express Mail with guaranteed overnight delivery, and you were told instead that it was to be sent via United Parcel Service with overnight delivery - then Patrick owes you a refund of the shipping fee at the very least, in my opinion. If the animal arrives dead, I believe, he owes you another animal or a full refund. If the animal arrives and is cold, I would think, he owes you another animal - free of charge that is sent correctly this time around to arrive in good shape and good health. In my opinion, if the first animal should be returned to him, postage paid by him if it arrives sickly, dead or even chilled.

Hopefully it will arrive warm and healthy, but it was pretty cold here yesterday and today on Long Island, NY (just in case that is the LI you mean).

By the way, how on earth could you do busniess with someone and not know his/her last name? Before sending any payment, by plastic or otherwise, you should have the full name and address of the person and business with whom you are dealing. Finally, the BOI is the way to go before you pay.

I hope it all works out ok for you, Patrick and the snake.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 03-11-2003, 09:17 PM   #6
ChaosCat
I did have his last name, just didn't have it when I made that first post.

He claims it was sent USPS express overnight. The USPS website says it left their seattle dept. this morning - but does not give any more information other than that.

Its only about 50 here right now, but the USPS offices are all closed-they closed an hour ago.

Old 03-12-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
ChaosCat
Thumbs up

Well, the little guy arrived here this morning-he was shipped overnight express, was supposed to be here yesterday according to the post office lady who dropped him off. She did apologize, apparantly there was some hang-up that she didn't know about (so she couldn't tell me exactly what happened.)

He arrived very warm, well packaged, and healthy. I'm quite happy with him

Not happy with the way he was shipped, but definitely happy with the snake.

I should also mention he was packaged with lots of labeling that said 'live rreptiles, keep warm'

Old 03-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #8
Wilomn
I just got off the phone with the USPS and here's what they had to say. They will ship lizards, crocociles and caimans under twenty inches. I don't know if the size only applies to caimans or all lizard like animals, the twenty inch limit was simply at the end of the sentence. No snakes, no turtles, which to them also means no tortioses. All animals must be packaged properly, need no food or water, and have no smell an d be of no danger to the carriers. Blood worms, salamanders and crayfish are OK.

They were specifically speaking of cold blooded animals. So, if you want to split hairs and debate the whole cold blooded vs. unable to self regulate heat the government is probably a good place to start.

wes pollock

Old 03-12-2003, 02:04 PM   #9
ChaosCat
Just for clarification (since I feel like some people are thinking I *CHOSE* to have the snake shipped USPS-though that may not be the case, just stating my feelings here)

I did not choose USPS shipping, I thought the guy said 'UPS' and I've had many other animals shipped UPS without any problems.

If I would have known it was USPS I would have said no, I want UPS/Airborne/Delta.

Regardless, the snake got here safe and still warm. (and I should also add well-fed, since he's only a few months older than my other rosy and nearly twice as big!)

Old 03-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #10
E2MacPets
This is in regards to recent Ads by LI Serpentarium.

There are pictures accompanying the Ads. I will post them in the following replies, resized but otherwise unaltered by me.

They are for Salmon and Snow Bearded Dragons.

I feel the pictures have been doctored.

If you look at the rocks that the Beardeds are laying on, it appears to be the same substance but the color is extremely red in the Salmon picture and extremely light on the Snow picture.

Now if you look at the background in the Salmon picture, you will see that the background had a great deal of red bleeding into it. This is completely abscent in the Snow picture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!