Hitting aggressive snakes?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
PlatinumRosePythons
Warning! Hitting aggressive snakes??

Is it the norm to hit or 'tap' very hard your snake on the head to get it to calm down and stop snapping at you? I've just seen this infuriating video of a teenage girl who says her 'mentor' taught her this and she's now giving this advice to inexperienced snake owners! I don't know if it's just me but in this video 90 percent of the snakes she shows seem scared of her. Maybe it's just me because I'm so very PO'ed with this video. The reason I put this under ball pythons is because that is her focus in the video. I have never ever heard in anywhere I have read to ever hit or tap your snake, at least not the 'tap' she did! The poor thing seemed stunned after the first 'tap'! as for the care and habitat advice she gives, I guess that more depends on your personal preferences.

Here's the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYX8D7xH2E

Here's my video response since she blocked me after I replied telling her what she is doing is infuriatingly wrong (i'm painthorselover101):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeDhh...eature=mh_lolz

In my reply video I show the hit in slow motion twice and its heard to watch (for me anyway)
The hit in her video happens at 10:00
The hit in my video in slow motion and regular motion starts at 5:50
Please note that she antagonized the snake first to make it strike on purpose starting at 7:48 and on top of that this poor boy is also in shed.
I've had and still have some aggressive snakes and I've never heard or even thought of treating them this way. This video still makes me very angry just talking about it

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
snowgyre
I know this video made you angry, but I think you may be overreacting. The tap wasn't that hard. I've 'tapped' my snakes before when I open the cage for cleaning and they're obviously trapped in a feeding response. It does make them take a defensive posture for a moment, but none of my snakes have ever suffered damage from such taps and aside from the initial "OMG WHAT WAS THAT" response, they uncoil rapidly and seem to suffer no undue stress. Overall I thought she was rather well educated for a 17 year old, although granted I didn't watch all 18 minutes of the video. Do I think the method should be encouraged by inexperienced keepers though? No, there's too much room for going overboard. The distraction at the front and coming from behind method works just as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I know this video made you angry, but I think you may be overreacting. The tap wasn't that hard. I've 'tapped' my snakes before when I open the cage for cleaning and they're obviously trapped in a feeding response. It does make them take a defensive posture for a moment, but none of my snakes have ever suffered damage from such taps and aside from the initial "OMG WHAT WAS THAT" response, they uncoil rapidly and seem to suffer no undue stress. Overall I thought she was rather well educated for a 17 year old, although granted I didn't watch all 18 minutes of the video. Do I think the method should be encouraged by inexperienced keepers though? No, there's too much room for going overboard. The distraction at the front and coming from behind method works just as well.
I don't know if you saw the slow motion in my reply video but it seems like she hit that snake really hard, not once but twice. That snake bounced and seemed stunned after the first tap.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Mickeyblueyes
If you really know what you're doing you never have to physically put your hands on them in that way. It's a matter of being able to pick up on their movements and behavior and reacting in a calm and gentle manner.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Her attitude is poor and condescending in her comments made about the discussion. So is her self importance of her youtube channel and subscribers. Typical for a lot of people on youtube.

I did notice she claimed you were making racist comments at her. What is that about? I must of missed it.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyblueyes View Post
It's a matter of being able to pick up on their movements and behavior
I agree with this position. I also don't mind aggressiveness.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Her attitude is poor and condescending in her comments made about the discussion. So is her self importance of her youtube channel and subscribers. Typical for a lot of people on youtube.

I did notice she claimed you were making racist comments at her. What is that about? I must of missed it.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Lucille
I don't think there is much to be gained by hitting a snake, it isn't as if the snake is going to learn to not be aggressive by being beaten.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
jack2682
On one hand we can condition our snakes with repetitive behavior (why else would we remove a snake from its enclosure prior to feeding so as not to condition the snake to expect food every time the tub is opened) I don't think we can apply the concepts of 'trust' and 'training' to snakes, the same way we would to dogs for example. I'm not sure snakes are capable of learning the way dogs are and so I don't think we can predict their response... One snake may become conditioned to "flight" while another may be more antagonized and want to "fight". I haven't studied this, its just my theory

I don't necessarily think its wrong (morally, ethically) to "tap" your snake so that it is conditioned to a "flight response," however, I personally don't think it's necessary. I am in no danger if my ball pythons want to be aggressive toward me when I open their tub. For me I just don't see the need to condition them one way or the other.

just my opinion

Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Mickeyblueyes
I've noticed that a lot of keepers don't give their snakes enough credit. I realize they have different personalities and some require a different approach. But in my experience most of them recognize the difference between my hands and a food item. Now I'm not saying that when I have a rat on tongs I would stick my hand in their face, but I don't have any problem cleaning around them and feeding at the same time. Is it just me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!