Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset (Miami) - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #111
Prestige Reptiles
Everyone I know that this thread is already closing but I ask you all to read this carefully including Mike. I have purchased a descent amount of snakes from Mike “Snakes at Sunset” including in the order of purchased: Pastel Ball Python, Albino Ball Python, Red Tail Boa, Albino Red Tail Boa, and an Ivory Ball Python. I am not sure if at this time Amir still owned the store of not but, he first two ball pythons I purchased from Mike “snakes at Sunset” were in excellent condition this must have been almost two years ago. The two Boas, which, I purchased about a year ago, were in awful condition. I was very new to the reptile industry at this time and I had to call Mike for help. Never once did he offer to trade out or return the animals for their lack of health he simply told me to go to the store and by lice shampoo and clean them. Though, it was descent advice it still did not help. After about a month my regular red tail was clean. The Albino however was an ongoing struggle. Eventually the snake cleared up and it is still alive and healthy to those wondering. My Ivory was also in great condition however this snake did not come from his store and was not there for more than a couple of hours.
Mike I would like you to know that in my opinion you are one of the worst business people I have ever had to deal with. Not because two of the animals I purchased from you had mites because like many have said and I do agree with “shit happens” but because you were absolutely rude. The first time I went into your store you were preoccupied with your computer and it took me a few minutes to get you off of the thing to take a snake out of the tank for me. This was not the only circumstance that you were rude but, earlier this year when my partner and I walked into your store to look for some males we noticed a yellowbelly ball python. My buddy popped “him” just to be sure and who would have thought it was a female. We asked you to pop “him” just to be sure and you agreed. We wanted that female for the $50, which you should have sold her there for the $50 since it was your mistake but no you now wanted $120, which is absolutely ridiculous. I do understand that a guy has to make money but that is a terrible way to treat a previous client. Later when we called you to try to renegotiate you stooped down to the level of a child and decided to call my partner names, and myself, which were totally inappropriate.
Mike I do not wish to fight with you or bad mouth your store. My only goal for this thread is to make sure that everyone who may want it knows my opinion on you and how you handle your previous clients.
As to the original thread of the Green Tree Python I must agree with those who say you should have had it nowhere near display. I also must say that if you had no where else to put it you should have probably taken it home where you could have kept a close eye on the animal and keep it away from all of the other animals. To support my above comments on you being rude and referring to name calling your replies to this thread only support your accused behavior. For example you had to go on and bash the original posters trade rating. Who cares if he does not have one he felt a need to allow people to nowhere your store has gone. You also had to go on and call Jonathon from Breeders Circle out like that. To be quite honest that just makes you look bad you know absolutely nothing about the guy and you had to go and do that. For your knowledge Jonathon is one of the best beardy, and gecko breeders in the state of Florida. Mike im not sure if others noticed this but you contradict yourself. First you said that your baby beardies only had 3-4 to a cage and later in the post you said 4-5. Lastly in your defense about purchasing the GTP you had said you did not notice the mites. You either did not look, did not care, or don’t know what you are looking for because those are the BIGGEST mites I have ever seen and most here will agree with me.
Needless to say I will never be doing business with Mike again. I hope Mike that you take this thread in the right way and learn and grow from it. If you do not then you do not understand how life works. I do not believe people purpose was to come on here and destroy your reputation or shutdown you store but only inform you and fellow herpers of what is going on in the community.

Thank you,
Kaleb

Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #112
Snakesatsunset
Kaleb, you have only purchased three snakes from me. An ivory , a pastel, and an albino ball.
Boas? pretty sure you have not.
Also your friend is one of the most annoying people I have ever had to deal with. You guys called consistently EVERY hour, for a few DAYS to try to get the "female" yellowbelly for $50.00 as you thought it was mislabeled and I was giving you a deal on it at $50.00 if it was a male. It seemed to be female, as it did not pop, and I said its a female so its cost me more. BECauSE I PAID MORE FOR IT.
I was selling you a MALE yellowbelly for $50.00. Not a female yellowbelly for $50.00
$120.00 was also $50.00 cheaper then list price as a common ground for you. You refused and over phone told me that I should sell her to you for $50.00 becuase you guys wanted it real bad and your partner wanted it to breed to make money, etc etc.
I even told you I paid more then $50.00 for her SINCE it was female, and couldnt do it, simple as that.
You guys nagged and nagged, called and called, came in, etc. and would not let up. One of you got nasty on phone with ME and said if I dont sell her to you for $50.00 you wouldnt come back! I might have said for $50.00 I would pay for you to never come back! In total though there was no name calling from me, your comment on that is a straight out lie.
You broke me to an extent with the constant pestering, and i am SUPER glad I do not have to deal with you two anymore. More then happy! People, you dont understand, these two guys were a HEADACHE from day one. Yes they bought snakes, they got snakes at cheaper prices then marked, we talked snakes, etc. but that is no reason for me to sell them a snake for less then what I paid. I dont have to do it, sorry. I would and have done it for others, who were nice about it, and we would have talked and thrown options around. I have done it before. But with you guys, hell no.

P.S. all this for a female yellowbelly "at the time", and it PROBED male. Just one of those hard to pop ones.....go figure. So in the end if I had sold them a "female" yellowbelly, they would have raised a male for 2 years to 1500 grams for no reason. Did you mention the list price for the MALE yellowbelly was $129.00? I was giving him to you for $50.00? No you did not. Also an Ivory for $2500.00, and gave it to you for $2200.00? Never gave you a deal?

I am almost positive you did not buy ANY boas from me. I know you bought boas at other stores and would ask stuff about snakes at other stores since the names are similar. Snakes at Sunset, Snakes at South Dixie, Snakes at Lakes. You even told me you liked my snakes better! Now since your buddies with jonathan, you decide to post? I have no idea who jonathan was/is and I have asked around.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #113
Snakesatsunset
Also Caleb, I think it is old news that the snake had Mites and I knew about it? Did you not read the part where it says the snake is no longer in the store, and left that same day? or the part that there was no better option for the snake but to put it ,where it was seen ,without infecting the rest of the store? The other 50 posts say that.
Sorry we do not end on good terms, but there is a line that neither buyer or seller should cross, and you guys crossed it more then once.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #114
StrictlyExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesatsunset View Post
Kaleb, you have only purchased three snakes from me. An ivory , a pastel, and an albino ball.
Boas? pretty sure you have not. Also your friend is one of the most annoying people I have ever had to deal with.
Ok so let me get this straight. This guy spends like 3000.00 in your store and hes the most annoying person you have had to deal with? Wow, I wish I had your problems. Personally, I would have chalked up that YB for 50.00 as a SERIOUS "preferred" customer discount as he seems to have no problems dropping 100.00 bills on your cash wrap.

I have been refraining from posting in this thread because I dont know you and have been on the retail side of this industry. I, while some dont, understand your quarantine. This is what we did in the old days, with the exception that we hid it from display with brown paper bags or newspaper so it was out of sight. If caging and space is an issue in your location, rememebr that just because its out on the floor, it doesnt necessarily HAVE to be seen.

While I cannot believe you didnt notice the beetle-sized mites on the snake, that would definitely say that something is preoccupying your attention. I am leaning more towards the fact that, yes, you are on your computer entirely too much when you are having issues as well as customers all around you. Seriously, get off the internet, its not going anywhere. The information is STILL going to be there when you get back to it.

You need to start taking care of the matters at hand or you are going to end up losing ALL of your "annoying" customers. Maybe thats what you want, I do not know. But from what I have been reading from you, is that you dont mind taking a dump where you eat. If this is the case, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #115
Suncoast Herpetological
Deans post brings up a good point that has been mentioned before. I have been doing this for well over 20 years an I have never seen a mite any wheres near that size. On examination of the less than perfecr pics, those markings look a lot more like freckling on the animal.

Are those spots in the first pic mites Mike?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #116
Snakesatsunset
Strictly, no its not a bad thing he spent 3k, just happens to be HE spent 3k and not someone else. I have lots of people that spend close to that or more and they are extremely satisfied. Hell, I give them free snakes as it is or open credit. We have that kind of relationship. His situation was way different then others, and there are alot of details failed to be mentioned on my part for not wanting to turn this into a flame war. His situation did not merit him any kind of break, or discount, and the snake was mislabeled. He pretty much began with if you dont sell it to me for less then $129.99 I am walking out. So I said, well he has bought before, so fine, $50.00
Then the fiasco began. I already went through the he spends money, satisfy him, but in the end its not worth the aggravation!
Other then that, yes I am constantly busy on the computer, or with other customers, I try my best to help everyone. No one walks in that door with out a hello, what can I get you, or need any help question. If they say no I am good, I am not going to pester them like a salesman, cause I dont like it done to me, and highly dbout my customers want to be hounded. If you say no, thats no, I just respond with, Ok, well let me know if you need anything or want anything to look at. Then I go back to work. Not 100% of the time, but as much as I can to everyone.
I bend over backwards for people that deserve it or are in the right. I do not give my snakes away, but do know the importance of repeat customers. Didnt he come back three times to purchase ?

John, yes they are Mites. They were a few on the snake when it was in bag visibly, but most were under the skin around the eyes and nostrils after closer inspection like stated. We placed her in tree away from store animals. There was a piece of that yellow no pest strip on top but it was old so I am not sure, I think the fumes that it might have still been emitting made them come out and start crawling around?? Mites are not always all visible, even in a serious infestation you have to agree there are lots more in the nooks and crannies of a snakes anatomy, under scales, eyes, noses, pits, cloaca, under chin, scales, etc. Seems to be alot of people think mites are just crawling on snakes all day and not hiding under the above places?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #117
MorphX
All I gotta say is that, this place is lucky PETA hasnt walked in.

Seems like everyone is trying to give you advice to fire your current employees and get new ones that actually work.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #118
BreedersCircle
Quote:
Other then that, yes I am constantly busy on the computer, or with other customers, I try my best to help everyone. No one walks in that door with out a hello, what can I get you, or need any help question. If they say no I am good, I am not going to pester them like a salesman, cause I dont like it done to me, and highly dbout my customers want to be hounded. If you say no, thats no, I just respond with, Ok, well let me know if you need anything or want anything to look at. Then I go back to work. Not 100% of the time, but as much as I can to everyone.
I bend over backwards for people that deserve it or are in the right. I do not give my snakes away, but do know the importance of repeat customers. Didnt he come back three times to purchase ?
Did you even say a word when I came in your store? Not one until I started asking the questions.... your attitude was like if I were annoying you. Seems like a lot people annoy you....

Look Mike,
Im not here to try to bring your business down. Like I said I know plenty of people that have had horrible experiences with you guys, if I was really trying to hurt your business I would call everyone of them and get them to post the negative experiences they had on here. Im not going to do that.

My intention is to get you to realize your attitude and demeanor is way off base.
Not only does it bring resentment but YOU LOSE MONEY.
For example my experience with you might have lost you $15,000.00. I see you posting you buy 3000 beardies a year. Lets say you bought them from me (a local) and saved $5.00 a dragon. Your attitude just lost you big money.
The situation with Kaleb couldve lost you big money too. The guy spent 3k with you, you mis-sexed the snake and want to charge him more? for $70.00? is that a joke? For that little bit of money you just lost a lifetime customer that is not afraid to lay a stack of hundred dollar bills on your table?

How many more of these situations has there been?
The herp community needs to be respected. Newbies that get bad experiences leave the community and lever look back.

Think about it for second

Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #119
Snakesatsunset
Its not about the money.....its about the sentence before last. Respect. When someone pretty much disrepects me or anyone , they dont deserve squat, doesnt matter how good their money is. You were not there , I was, and Caleb was with his friend. They made it feel like they wanted to swindle me for my snake. Doesnt matter the price, matters how it is done. I would have had NO problem selling it to him for $50.00 if he had not approached it the way he and his friend did. My mind set, and willingness to fulfill his want went out the door after a while. I gave them a 79.99 DISCOUNT to begin with. The price was RIGHT, the sex labeled was not.

Jonathan, I apologize for not talking to you and making you feel like I was annoyed, but I was not. I may have had my mind somewhere totally different, it happens to the best of us. We all have good and bad days. It is NEVER intentional. Caleb lied about name calling, etc and that is just not right.
But in the end, I would bend over backwards to make someone happy and have many many times. With the volume of people that walk through the door to buy or sell, I cant make everyone happy. If you look at numbers, you can see 1%-2% unsatisfied customers is actually very good. Thats the business side of things.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #120
Snakesatsunset
Jonathan,
If a newbie were to walk into my store and looking to get into the hobby they are in luck recently. I have given away over 50 C.B.B. florida kingsnakes in the last 3-4 weeks to potential customers who show any sign of wanting to get into the hobby. Be it they didnt have enough for a more expensive designer snake, or similar, I actually have given the snakes away to them, so they can enjoy a new hobby. Alot of kids come in with ringnecks, and I trade them a king for the ringneck, and let the ringneck go. So they can have a snake that wont die on them for not feeding, etc.
I have given away more then 50 bearded dragons this year alone as well, I give ball pythons out like they are going out of style. I have done positive interviews with the media, opted to be in pictures with big snakes for PRO-snake keeping campaigns, and articles. Had thousands of people sign letters for USARK int he store. Give huge discounts to schools, camps, and more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!