New York state law issues - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:34 PM   #101
Tribal Gecko
::SIGH::

Good ole NY. And they wonder why everbody wants to leave this state and the economy is crap. This does not effect me personally atleast, but I must say it is a stupid law, and if the NY high ups have there way, anoles and leopard geckos will be considered dangerous prey to have.

Old 11-20-2004, 07:03 PM   #102
necoris
I can understand people being upset about hideously large animals (i.e. crocodiles, tigers and burmese pythons [and other large reptiles]), but to ban it outright doesn't make sense. I wish the law would at least let an individual apply for a permit (just to have the animal in their collection).

However, boa constrictors and ball pythons do not fall into the category of outlawed reptiles (as well as many other reptiles). In fact, the only reptiles to be banned are venomous reptiles, as well as the larger species of pythons (African rock, Burmese, reticulated) and some lizards and crocodiles (and the like).

At least I can still breed my ball pythons...

Dustin

Old 11-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #103
areptileguy
NY Pet Dealer feeder ban

Does anyone here know the status of NY bill AB9988? This would restrict the sale of rabbits, rodents, and other mammals under 8 weeks of age. This seems to me that it is a subtle ploy to further restrict reptile ownership in NY. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is still in the Assembly.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09988

Old 11-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #104
Karen Hulvey
Now THAT is a scary bill. Did the bill say the reason why they want to restrict the sale of these animals under 8 weeks of age?

Okay, I read the bill on the link you provided and I think I know part of the answer. People have been trying hard to stop the sale of unweaned baby birds for some time now. California has already got a law on the books regarding this. This bill has unweaned baby birds included and for some reason they took it as far as every unweaned mammal?? Not good if you need a pinky or fuzzy. I guess everyone is gonna have to breed their own food.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #105
areptileguy
Here is what the Assembly's "justification" was: Supervision of the sale of animals by pet dealers, by the state, is within the public interest and for the purpose of safeguarding the public. Insuring the humane treatment of such animals by guaranteeing their good health throughout the course of sale is for
the benefit of the public.

It may be however that this bill has died in the Assembly, since no action was taken on it since April 21 of this year (several months ago). I would still keep on eye on it however.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #106
Karen Hulvey
Supervision of the sale of animals by pet dealers, by the state, is within the public interest and for the purpose of safeguarding the public. Insuring the humane treatment of such animals by guaranteeing their good health throughout the course of sale is for the benefit of the public.

Now is that a load of hookey or what?

The public will really be safe when you can't buy a pinky any more.
I do agree with guaranteeing healthy animals but it needs to be brought about in a different manner. What manner is that, I don't know.

I'm really afraid that every state is going to have legislation such as this. The animal right's groups are really working hard on ending the sale of unweaned baby birds. I breed birds and I also buy unweaned babies to handfeed out so I've tried to keep up on the bird legislation. Now it looks like they're adding all mammals to this legislation. I hope it doesn't go through.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #107
old guy
at one time we went

through the same deal when we had a pet store in Missouri that also was to effect small animal dealers/breeders. It was the humane law of space occupied by animals and presented by the USDA of the state. It was concerning space per given animal in cage. It was really ment for contained dogs, cats, etc. It was shot down by the stipulation that all animal cages were kept clean ( yeh, sure on the animal breeders ) and food and water always present. Yes , they visited a lot of times to try to catch us not providing the above. It was a forgotten scenario very soon with us complying. In other words, they stopped visiting us exept for the yearly mandatory visit. Going with the proposed law, it would of had us keep about 3 mice per 10 gallon tank, 2 rabbits in a cage of 24 by 24, and about 2 hamsters, gerbils in a 20 gallon tank. It was also considered to be passed along to reptiles. Where we would of only been able to keep like 2 anoles in a approx. 12" by 24 " cage. All of the above was the proposal of the caging requirements of the animals awaiting to be sold by retail. But like I said, it also was to be the proposal of breeders and wholesellers to do the same. The thing that was most stupid of this regulation was the watering of the animals. They wanted no open containers of water in furry animal cages ( in which i could understand ) but on mice they wanted a water bottle as large as the rats and the rabbits bottles which the dispensing tubes being WAY to big for the little mice to suck or lick. In other words, when i showed a USDA agent the problem of where the mice would probably DROWN by the release of to much water, or die of thirst by not being able to make the ball bearing move up in the bottle tube, they backed off.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:09 PM   #108
Sand&SunReptile
I think they need add a clause in the bill, something to the effect of...
"All mammals must be 8 weeks old, minimum to be sold as pets. Anything meant to be fed to a predatory animal may be sold under the aforementioned age requirements."
Just my $0.02 I bet NY will consider that as valuable as such too...

Old 12-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #109
lostathome69
New york repti

I live in new york. I also have bearded dragons and other lizards. i have friends who own petshops and breed their own dragons as well for their shops. I have not heard anyhting and it is dec 20. I also red in the reptiles mag, that bush put out a law on small reptiles, for giving them care in the vets office.

Please let me know if you have heard different, but i don't think it is any of our problem.

Lostathome69@yahoo.com

-John

Old 12-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #110
areptileguy
The law (which has been signed by the way) only restricts the keeping of large reptiles: crocodilians, boids (burmese/indian, anaconda, rock, reticulated, scrub), venomous snakes, and certain monitors (nile, blackthroat/whitethroat, crocodile, water, and perentie). Which issue of Reptiles magazine did you see the Bush article in?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!