I built a web site, I'd like your opinions please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I built a web site, I'd like your opinions please

Well, I built a site, and I *think* I published it. (Finally!)

I'm a bit nervous about it after all that work, but I need opinions on what I still need to work on.

Thanks!

thereddragonsden.com

Old 02-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
cricket
Nice site

I checked out your site, and I liked it. Some photos are a little fuzzy but you can still see the detail.

Tracey

Old 02-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks for checking it out for me. I really appreciate the feedback.

I think I know why some of the photo's are fuzzy, because I saved them as gif's, and someone helpful clued me in that jpg's would have kept better detail. Really a shame as those pics were a LOT of work to get ~ my digi camera is older and I get maybe one good pic for every 20 I take!

Old 02-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
Randy T.
Looks pretty good Cheryl..everything is fine but the fuzzy pix..which you can remedy that problem as you get new good pix..(may take a while but will work out)

Congrats on getting it set up.

later

Randy T.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
NEWReptiles
I think its looks wonderful Cheryl.

I too will soon have a site up, I only hope it turns out as well as yours.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
It looks good Cheryl. How much does a site like that is going for?

Regards.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Going for?

I'm not sure if I understand the question~ but this is what it cost me~

I built the web page in an old copy of Front Page 98 (Free, someone gave it to me) and used photo's taken on my old digicam (paid for in 2000, so no cost at this time) and did the photo editing (Making the wallpaper and cropping/re-sizing photo's) in Microsoft Image Composer (Was on my PC so whatever the cost was, it was paid for at least a couple years ago)

It took me several months of frustrating trial and error to build the page on a PC that kept breaking in a program I had no user guide for and did not know how to use~ so depending on who you ask~ my time is worth anything from Nothing to Next to Nothing~ so no real $$ cost there.

I paid $14 each for one year registration on 3 domain names (thereddragonsden.com the-red-dragons-den.com and reddragonsden.com) So that was $42. I paid $155.40 for one years hosting service (but I get to host up to 6 domains for that cost, so I will be hosting my husbands site at the same service. His site HAD been costing me $20 per month, so I am actaully SAVING $84.60 on hosting service)

Then I spent another several frustrating weeks trying to figure out how to publish that web page. So again~ what was my time worth?

So~ it cost me $197.40 for a year with three domain names. Or~ if you count what I saved by swapping services, it actually is only costing me $112.80 more per year than I was paying anyway to purchase the names and host both my site and my husbands.

But the cost in frustration was pretty substantial! Oh~ and gut wrenching worry that perhaps I spent so many hours looking at the stupid thing that I couldn't tell if it was ugly or not anymore.

Did that make any sence?

Old 02-07-2004, 11:48 PM   #9
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Wait, I think I did the math wrong~

I had been paying $20 per month for husbands site. That is $240 a year, plus he has two domain names, ($14 each) so that is $28 per year, plus his program charged him an extra $2 per month for the second domain name(alias) so that was $24 for a year.........for a total of $292 a year (in 2003) to keep up the site my husband has forgotten about and ignored for two years.

When I swapped service pacakges so I could host both his site AND mine I saved $84.60 per year, because the entire year only cost $155.40. Then you add MY 3 domain names at $14 each is $42, and his 2 domain names is $28, and there is no extra charge for the domain alias's.....the total for 2004 is $225.40

The difference between 2003 and 2004 is $-66.60......so the cost is I'm UP $66 a year.

Bonus for me!

Old 02-08-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
The BoidSmith
Thank you for the information Cheryl. I'm thinking on putting one together in the near future and was curious about the costs.

Regards,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!