Help - 2 Females Fighting - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
geckoluv13
Help - 2 Females Fighting

I have been a proud owner of leopard geckos for over 4 years. I currently have two females who are not getting along. I have had one, Geeky for 4 years who always had a tank buddy until her female friend, Gecko died 8 months ago. Recently I purchased a adult female carrot tail who is a bit smaller than the other gecko, and placed her in the tank. At first they watched each other and were fine then suddenly Geeky began to stake the new gecko and bit her tail. I quickly separated the two, but don't understand why the two females aren't getting along. I checked both of them and neither have large pores or a V. Any ideas??

Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
shrap
Some leos get along fine with one another, others dont. It is really as simple as that.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
geckoluv13
ok yeah that makes perfect sense. The only other thing I was thinking could promote the behavior of my older gecko is that the new one is a bit younger and a bit smaller. I have them housed seperately and in a few months I may try, but ready to separate them. Thank you for your imput! ^_^!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
geckogrl6
It is true and simple- some just are not a good match. I'm not sure how much of a size/weight difference you have, but they may be slightly more tolerant of each other if you try to re-introduce as they are beginning to brumate. Perhaps after a winter of acclimating to each other, and low energy levels, they will emerge in spring as better friends. I will say that an occasional nip on the tail does occur even in my well-established 1 yr+ colony of four. Just be vigilant! Watch weights, eating habits, and outright aggression.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
geckoluv13
I have great news. I have a very large tank so I decided to buy a divider and that way the two girls could at least get used to each other. The younger one is a little smaller than the 4 year old so that may be the problem. Because the younger one crawled up the divider (because it had holes not anymore) and when on the other geckos side. The older gecko wasn't bothered at all this time, she just ignored her, walked over her and slept. But the younger one was having a bit of a heart attack. I think I will probably put her back with my older one, but once she grows and is very close in size. The older gecko seems to have no problem with her now, the younger one is just a little afraid of the "big mama". Hopefully everything will work out in a few months of growing! Thanks for your help!!

Michelle

Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
LadyGecko
Michelle-I would separate them again just to avoid stress on the smaller one and competition for food with the larger female

Honestly-as was said-some Leos do fine together and others are best kept alone

I believe that with babies and young juvies that the best weight gain and general growth is achieved when they are housed alone

Oh and it is rather difficult to keep young Leos apart with a tank divider unless it is snug against the glass and goes up past the top of the tank and fits up against the lid
The young ones can climb really well-lol

just my 2 cents

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!