Best bearded dragon vivariums - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
chefdragon
Best bearded dragon vivariums

So im new to the world of reptiles and will be starting off with a bearded dragon. I'm not in a rush to bring one home. I'm currently doing all the research on Vivariums, lighting, etc. I'm probably going to buy a juvenille and thinking about providing him with a big home from the start. 4 feet max I'm considering. What are some of the best options out there? I've seen alot of people talking about Exo-Terras but read mix reviews about them having open slots for crickets to escape and other cons.

Look forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Snake-Queen
I like the exoterra and I don't feed in their tank, so open slots don't bother me.

A 40 gallon breeder works well, I think zilla makes the ones I have. There are also custom built cages out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
chefdragon
Thanks for the info. I'm now looking at custom cages

Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
BeardedDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdragon View Post
So im new to the world of reptiles and will be starting off with a bearded dragon. I'm not in a rush to bring one home. I'm currently doing all the research on Vivariums, lighting, etc. I'm probably going to buy a juvenille and thinking about providing him with a big home from the start. 4 feet max I'm considering. What are some of the best options out there? I've seen alot of people talking about Exo-Terras but read mix reviews about them having open slots for crickets to escape and other cons.

Look forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks
I have a 40 breeder critter keeper and a exo large wide basically a tall 40 breeder. I like them both but I think I prefer the exo terra because of the doors. The cricket thing is an easy fix just close the slides.. I also use a 75 gallon for my big guy, a lot of tank to clean and heat. Whatever you choose look for used because I didn't on my 40 and paid top dollar then got my exo used for less then 1/2 price and my 75 gal for $75.00. I also just picked up a double unit on wheels complete with lights each unit 36x24x24 and they thru in a 40 gal breeder all for $150. gotta love craigslist

Frank

Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Ed Clark
4 ft cages work well for me, it's easy to set up the lights and heat. the cost is not alot, the ones I use cost 140 each.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
BeardedDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
4 ft cages work well for me, it's easy to set up the lights and heat. the cost is not alot, the ones I use cost 140 each.
Ed, Do you use melamine? and what do you think about tile for flooring. I have the option to use it and I am up in the air, I did all my lighting today on the 2 -36inch units that I am housing a few juvies in and I am gonna tackle a few 4 footers next, it is def not expensive but a bit time consuming, still better then being a my 9 to 5 lol.. Thanks Frank

Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Ed Clark
Using the 4 ft Boa Master melamine cages, had all my dragons in plastic cages and did not like them. the melamine cages hold the heat better they are easy to set up the lights in. thought about the 3 ft cages but you can set up a 4 footer for the same price, you can create a better heat gradient in the bigger cage.

It is time consuming putting the cages and lighting together. just put together 6 new cages and it took forever.

Don't like tiles.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
suzuki4life

I like our new setups

should be easy to duplicate if you are a DYI type for person

Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Ed Clark
Gary,are you going to put a flourescent fixture with a UVB tube in those cages? if so you need to get the dragons about 10-12" from the light. you can put a brick in there or a branch so they can get closer to the light.

Should be easy to keep clean with those plastic trays.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
suzuki4life
Plan is to place log corner to diagonal corner to allow use usage of height on side with headroom. Cage has built in uv fixture slots.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!