Outdoor Squirrel Housing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
IMAJACOBIAN
Outdoor Squirrel Housing

I am conisidering obtaining my permits to keep Eastern Squirrels. I want to have an outdoor cage that exceeds the state required size, which is 4 x 4 x 8 feet for a single Squirrel and 2 addtl sqaure feet per additional squirrel. I plan on potentially having a pair of squirrels and potentially breeding them in the future. For now, I want to stick with one or maybe two females. I'm only going to get the permit to possess them for now, but not breed them now, with a potential to change the permit and breed them in the future. With that said, I need a fairly large cage. To hold a pair with babies, that would require the 4 x 4 floor plan with 2 sqaure feet for the mate and the 2 sqaure feet for the addtl babies. If there were 8 babies(large litter), that would be the 4 x 4 (16 sqaure feet)plus 18 addtl sqaure feet(9 addtl animals x 2 sqaure feet), totaling 34 sqaure feet. If I go with a 6 x 6(36 sq feet) layout and the needed height, I think it would be a good layout and size. What else I want to do is have a two door entry. That was you enter one door, close it behind you, and then open the inner door. Similar to a small scale outdoor bird cage like at the zoos.

I'm just looking for some good ideas for the best way to do this. I'm thinking a steel sqaure tube frame with wire sheeting streched between the framing. The wire sheeting I have in mind is 1/2" x 1" spaciing, but I can get it in varying spacing types. I need to come up with a good way to put the floor in and what to make it out of. I want the floor to be easily cleaned, but it has to be something I can get in and walk on, so I don't want to suspend the bottom with a wire bottom. I don't want to have to be changing bedding since they will be outdoors and it will become saturated at some point. Concrete maybe? Should I be concerned about them falling onto concrete and injuring themselves? Should I just leave it as soil and use a rake to scrape it from time to time? If I used concrete, I could use a flange to attach the wire mesh to the floor to prevent digouts. If I used soil, I suppose I would dig a small trench around the perimeter of the cage and put a concrete foundation to prevent digouts.

On top the cage, I plan on having a roof to block the majority of the rainfall and having weather proofed hides and windbreakers on the sides. Inside the cage, I plan on having multiple branchs and hides to simulate a natural environment with nesting built into tree trunk(s), etc, etc.

The next thing is winter housing. Since they are native to my area and even colder northern states and Canada, is there a need to bring them indoors for the winter. If not, should I supply a heated nesting box or similar. I can easily have a heated water supply to keep the water from freezing. I don't want them to just survive, like in the wild, but to be well cared for

Any input on the cage contruction, materials, flooring, or anything to add is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
IMAJACOBIAN
I found an outdoor aviary designed for birds that is similar to my needs.
http://birdcageportal.com/inc/sdetail/1467/1496

I'm thinking a very similar design with wire mesh and steel frame done in a similar fasion. I'm thinking a 6x6 size though and keep it square rather than octagonal, but still with the safety area

Any input anyone?

Jacob

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!