Questions on possible gravid female Veild - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 AM   #21
Reptayls
Shari,
All this moving around can upset her too. Once in a while, you will see a cham dig a few practice holes - but once they start really digging - you have to leave them alone! Even if she has to sleep in the hole overnight - we have had a few do that too.

I would advise to leave her in the tub and let her dig. If she is trying to dig, there is hope she is not eggbound. She should deposit those eggs soon - if not, there is a problem.

Keep us posted - best of luck to her.
Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #22
gemdreamer
Talking She Finally Laid !!

Thank You for all your Help!!

She laid yesterday evening, it took her a long time from start to finish. She was still covering her eggs at 11pm last night. She laid 53 eggs.....as I was taking them out I was thinking Whoaa, thats alot of babies..

Its funny too because my male is across the room from her and I think he was awake all night...lol my husband said he was excited and he was naming all his children...lol

Im currently working on hatching crickets...but Im sure all be asking questions about incubation periods, What is the best temp to incubate at? and is there a website or place I can go to look at eggs that have gone bad? that way I can tell, my book does not talk about these types of issues.

once again, Thank You to everyone. Wish me Luck...

Shari

Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #23
Reptayls
Congratulations...!!!!!!!!
And thank goodness.

I hope she gets a few days of R&R for that effort - 53 eggs is a bunch alright. Some folks might think "the bigger, the better", but we have found that long-time breeders think the opposite. Clutches with approx 30-35 eggs is much better for the females. To help accomplish this, we fed the females less as an adult than the males - and they live longer lives than when producing maximum clutches. I hope that makes some sense.

If you are concerned with incubating the cham eggs, we have found that temps between 70-75 are best. Some people incubate at higher temperatures to make them hatch sooner - but we have found that this weakens the hatchlings and the "success" ratio drops considerably. We have seen folks lose their entire clutch because of this.

If concerned about the veiled eggs being good - as long as they are plump and white - they have promise. When they yellow, dent in, leak, or turn dark - then there is a pretty good chance the egg has gone bad. I'll see if I can locate some links or pictures for you.

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 AM   #24
gemdreamer
Hatchling questions !!

I just wanted to let you all know that on October 25th we had to baby veileds hatch.... So, so cute...

I am curious though, is it normal for them to hatch out like this. I mean on different days? I can still see babies moving around in the eggs, I have 51 eggs left to hatch out.

Any help on this issue would be great.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 AM   #25
gemdreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemdreamer
I just wanted to let you all know that on October 25th we had to
I meant to say TWO...lol

Old 10-28-2005, 03:13 AM   #26
Reptayls
Yup.... they can hatch at different times. Keep close eye on them, you should see more pipping any time.

Good luck with them all!
Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.
www.reptayls.com

Old 10-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #27
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemdreamer
I just wanted to let you all know that on October 25th we had to baby veileds hatch.... So, so cute...

I am curious though, is it normal for them to hatch out like this. I mean on different days? I can still see babies moving around in the eggs, I have 51 eggs left to hatch out.

Any help on this issue would be great.
Howdy,
I helped a friend hatch her 57 veileds. The hatching occured over about 10 days. I hope that you have a zillion fruit flies and pinhead crickets. When you have 50 babies, you could go through as many as 500 pinheads in a day or so. I went through several thousand pinheads in the first 10 days. Do you have a plan for their futures?

Here's a photo of one of the ones that I hatched...
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2005, 03:27 AM   #28
gemdreamer
Yes, I have plenty of crickets as I order them by the thousands and I have been trying my hand at fruitflys with not alot of luck. I have other reptiles that I breed, but this is the first time with Veiled Chameleons.

I appreceiate the info on the hatching times, as I could not find anything online regarding from the time they start hatching until the whole process is over.

I am curious at one thing thou, today I noticed that a couple of the eggs had some unusual patterns on them, almost as if they were thinning? I guess thats how I should describe it. I also noticed that the eggs are growing and which is making the egg peel and I am assuming this is all normal. They all seem to be healthy, no denting in or molding.

Well I will keep you all posted if anything changes or we have any new hatching.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!