Updates- Hatched Veileds LOTS OF PICS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
dragonflyreptiles
Updates- Hatched Veileds LOTS OF PICS

So far we have 8 completely out of the egg and set up, 1 hatched today still in incubator with 3 more with their little heads poking out of the eggs only 51 more to go lol.

There are quite a few pics so it may take a while to load them.

I feel very blessed to have these babies, all girls so far and hope you enjoy the pics.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
And more..............

More pics

Old 04-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
and one little clip of a baby snagging a fruit fly. The clip is on my site as an AVI file, hope it works for you!

http://www.dragonflyreptiles.com/veiledeating.AVI

Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Night]-[awk
Wooooooooooooohoooooooooooo!

Dr. Jon Benelli

Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Chris Anderson
Wendy,

I don't see a UVB bulb on your baby cage...just thought I'd remind you that the UV light is vital, especially in periods of rapid growth.

Chris

Old 04-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Thanks Chris, I have a Reptisun 10 on them in the house, pretty nice bulb. They are now outside on the nice days in a screen cage so they are getting the real thing too.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Chris Anderson
Wendy,

Careful, studies have shown that extended exposure to high UVB radience levels are detrimental to reproductivity in chams. That bulb produces more than the standard levels of UVB captive chams are exposed to and in your setup, does not allow for any type of UVB gradient for the babies to naturally regulate their exposure. With the standard 5.0 tube, the radience distance is shorter than in this bulb allowing for better self regulation and the intensity is less minimizing the negative effects of high levels of UV radiation while still providing UVB levels that have shown themselves to be sufficient under most circumstances. Just something to keep in mind. I'm sure in time those bulbs will be used in more of these studies and a better idea of their usefulness and pitfalls with chams will become apparent but at the very least, in the mean time I'd make sure a gradient is available to avoid potential complications.

Chris

Old 04-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
Thanks for the info, also those pics are over 2 weeks old from when they hatched and I sorted them in the tank for the first few days until they were eating, they are all in screen cages now and outside during the day.

When they were in the tank that few days the light was tilted so that they could get in the area they needed, there is alot of focus towards the left side and alot less on the right from the angle of the bulb. And lots of plants for them to hide under.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
whitey4311
Studies do not show that in fact. My recently published book on cham keeping states clearly that 1 hour of a higher rated UV bulb is more adequate. The lower level bulbs have nearly no effect on that chams. This is why they must sit there the entire day to achive adequate amts of UV for the day. However the book clearly goes on to state that there are not enough studies to solidify the claim that a lower rated UV light is better. It seams up in the air for now but I can attest to its beniefits from the moment i plugged it in.

I use mystic bulbs and I can persoanlly account for the immediate color and behavior changes from it. When my baby Nose Be grew up under the 5.0 bulb he had no visual response to it at all.
In my opinion she is doing every thing correctly now that she provided cover for the babies.

Please note that that bulb may be too strong for such a small tank and one made of glass at that. My chams are in a massive cage(6ftx3ftx3ft) and the bulb is at closest 9-10 inches from them unless they crawl underneath the screen, which rarely happens. One other note is that with that bulb and my mystic bulbs are not needed all day as with the weak 5.0 ones. Cycle it on and off during the day for 1 hour at a time to prevent over exposure. Since the chams like it so much more they will stay there and burn themselves.

Mine goes on 4 times a day for 1 hr each, 8-9, 11-12, 2-3, 5-6 respectively. I have tons of cover as well. There are pics under the "massive cage thread"

Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
whitey4311
PS I do currently use the 5.0 bulb for raising up my new baby cham (sambava) as did I with the Nose Be, and yes it served its purpose but for my large cage the more powerful lights are a must. I do agree that using that hard core of a bulb in a small cage would create issues with over exposure.
Do not read into others opinions or Hypotheses, try one out and I gurantee you will notice immediate color changes in your chams. You can easily affirm this by placing them outside during mid noon and seeing them come alive as compared to being under the 5.0 bulb.
In the wild they do not sit under the direct sun 12 hrs a day but rather expose themselves for shorter periods. When my chams are outside I see them at most basking in the direct sun for 1 hr then going deep into the ficus tree to roam around.
These are simple basic observations of mine not taken from 1 single internet site but rather from having my 3 chams with good sucess. I read a lot of research and ask a lot of questions from breeders and then formulate what I think will work best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!