trying to pic a cham - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
tcr03
trying to pic a cham

ok, im thinking of getting a chameleon. i dont know much about them, but im willing to learn. what i need is pics of the diff types, and some info on that type.
im also doing searches online, but while im doing it, if you dont mind posting some pics i would apriciate it.

thanks in advance.
matt

Old 11-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
YJHB
Well, that depends on what colour you like the most...with Tamatave's, you get a predominantly red or red/orange animal. With an Ambilobe, colors can range from blue stripes over a green background to red stripes over a yellow background and everything in between. Then you have Maroantsetra's, Ambanja's, Sambava's, Ankaramy's...the list goes on. You probably found out a lot from your web search...here's a site that will give you detailed descriptions.
http://www.bluebeastreptile.com/locale.htm
http://chameleonsonly.com/ has a lot of nice pix; ALL my chams came from them.

The caging and environment needs WILL be more expensive than the animal itself...the ones from superior lines have no peer when it comes to sheer color, but they have very specific requirements and you can't cheat. They require a significant amount of your time every day, you can't just throw crix in. They can't be handled too much. The rewards are worth it, though.
Have you ever kept reptiles?

Old 11-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
tcr03
i have two crested geckos, and am getting ready to get a pair of mourning geckos.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
YJHB
Well, you will have fun with these; Cresties need fresh air circulation too, so you probably are familiar with that. Chameleons need more fresh air circulation than even cresties, and they do best at a humidity level of around 80% which means misting at least once a day, depending on the ambient humidity of your house. I am by no means an expert, though. I'd suggest you do what I did when I first got interested in chams, and look around the internet for care sheets; there are plenty. One thing I can tell you, is there IS such a thing as an ugly Panther; you need to see pix of the parents. I'd want a pic of the dam's father as well if I decided to go with a private breeder to save cost.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
tcr03
yeh i know. i mist my cresties several times a day. the only real diff i can see is that they need more heat and humidity. i will probly make a full screen cage for it, im just trying to figure out what kind to get. not to worried about color. i think they all look cool. im more worried about the size the cham is going to get and how hardy it is. i dont have alot of room to devot to this one cham. so it cant be one of the larger types.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
YJHB
I think the sizes are pretty much the same; I don't recall having read that there is any significant difference in sizes between Panther locales.

As far as heat, adults need about 90 or 95 degrees at their basking site; babies need slightly lower basking temps. That's all the heat I provide and mine do fine. You put their lights and heat on a timer because it needs all shut off at night; the temp drop does them good as long as it's not below 68 degrees in your house at night.

I learned a hard lesson I'd like to pass on about buying WC animals...DON'T. My bad experience was with ATB's, but it applies. WC is unacceptably risky under the best of circumstances, especially with Panthers.

Take a look at these little gems...they are more friendly too
http://chameleonsonly.com/fischer's_chameleon.htm

Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Dave W.
Howdy,

If you have room for 24x24x48 then you can comfortably keep a full-grown panther or a veiled. Those two are less tricky than a jackson or a fischer which are smaller and might do ok in a littler smaller enclosure.

Check out:

http://www.chameleonjournals.com/

and in particular, the database:

http://www.chameleonjournals.com/icham/icham.php?The_Species=Chamaeleo%20(Trioceros)%20ja cksonii%20xantholophus

Old 11-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
tcr03
i doubt i will be getting a panther. they are just alittle out of my price range. its between the veiled and the rudis. any thoughts on those two.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
tcr03
anybody.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
YJHB
I'm sorry, but I'm not qualified to comment on either of those as I haven't kept them...I'm hoping somebody will help us here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!