Mites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Bahamut
Mites

I have been raising my own mice for several years now, and recently I bought a new group to replace my old breeders. Long story short, I am having a problem with some sort of mite that is infesting my colony. They do not affect my reptiles (Thank God!), nor do they affect my family (Thank God even more), But they are an annoyance to me as well as my mice. I have sanitized the cage and used no pest strips like those you would use for reptiles to no avail. Is there anything I can use on the mice that won't hurt them or the pinks? Any other strategies? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeremiah

Old 04-22-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
DAND
Question

What color are the mites? They may be wood mites.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
What color are the mites? They may be wood mites.
I agree. I have been seeing this more and more lately, even with the so called "sterilized" beddings. Wood mites are usually white while reptile mites are black. Are you sure they aren't fleas? I have never heard of or seen any type of mite on mice.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Bahamut
No, the mites on the mice are dark colored, maybe brown but not black. I could look at a couple under the scope at school, but I didn't realize this is so uncommon. They are definitely mites and not fleas. They are tiny, round, and do not jump.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
DAND
It is possible for them to have hitched a ride on the rodents. Did the place you bought the mice from have reptiles also?

Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Bahamut
The place I got them from does have reptiles in a seperate room, but I don't think they are reptile mites. Even though my snakes were exposed to the mice none of them have gotten mites. I check them every week at feeding time to be safe. I haven't had a problem with reptile mites in years (knock on wood). I am stumped on this one. I have kept reptiles of various sorts since I was 12, personally and professionally, and I have never had mouse mites.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
When I had a rat colony a few years ago, I had a mite infestation that I nipped in the butt with a product I found in at PETsMART. I did do a search for the product on their website, but came up with nothing. It was in the rabbit / guinnea pig section.

EDIT:

Found it!

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2026351&Ne=2

Old 04-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Bahamut
Hey, thanks for that info, I didn't know they were making products for small animals. It didn't affect your pinks? Do you guys think it is safe to feed these animals to your herps after they have been treated? What do you think?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!