Carpet Python ID? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
joyful girl
Carpet Python ID?

I bought this snake as a Jungle but now after looking at IJ and Coastal pictures all over I'm not sure. It's suppose to be a male but I haven't probed yet. He's about 6 1/2 feet long and thought to be around 2 years old.

I took these the day I brought the snake home.. he doesn't live in that tub.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
RyanT
Jungle x Coastal? Complete guess.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
hhmoore
I've looked at this a few times since it came up, and will avoid answering in the following manner.
Carpets are a pretty variable group. There are locality differences, as well as natural intergrades, and a bunch of manmade crosses. Further, people have been known to hang their own labels on generic carpets, just to make them more attractive to potential buyers. That said, without knowing the history of a given snake, and/or trusting the word of the seller, there are relatively few people I would trust to ID anything but obvious specimens (but many that wouldn't hesitate to give their opinion, lol)
This could be a jungle.....but as Ryan suggested, there are traits that suggest coastal influence to me. Then again - I look at many of the snakes sold as coastals & would never identify them as such, as they look so little like the coastals that were available 15-20 years ago.
6.5 ft at 2 yrs is quite big for a carpet....especially a jungle (that would be a big male jungle, period...but not unheard of).

Without knowing for certain, my opinion is........ that it is a carpet python. Unless you NEED to identify it specifically, just call it that. If you do NEED that specific ID, you may have purchased the wrong animal. If it absolutely, positively has to be a _____ carpet python, one should buy from a breeder that can verify things to his/her satisfaction.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
joyful girl
thanks for the responses!
I don't need to know but I was just curious. When I bought him I was told the person had the snake for 1.5 years. I then found out that the seller actually got the snake on craigslist for free a week before the reptile show I went to. So I'm guessing the original owner told the snake seller it was around 1.5 to 2 years old. It doesn't matter either way I guess. He's a cool snake whatever he is. I was thinking he was more Coastal though.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
MikeCurtin
IMO, the head looks more coastal, but it could be a very drab jungle or a cross.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!