Shy Cali king Hatchling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
Cryptic
Shy Cali king Hatchling

So I got my first snake, a Cali king, 6months ago from an online place. When I first got Bandit I knew he’d be skittish and gave him a week or two settle in. After that I worked with him a little bit. I’d sticking my hand in the terrarium until he’d get used to me everyday. I was able to scoop him up a few times when he was crawling up the side of the cage when he wasn’t noticing me. Then he stopped eating for about 2 1\2 months. I just got him feeding again a few weeks ago. In that 2 month period he was under the substrate 24\7 to the point where the rest of my family joked I didn’t even have a snake I just made him up. I’m guessing he came out at night to drink. For awhile, he was still quick to hide if anything happened he didn’t like, but was spending a lot of time above ground. Then one day I went to scoop him up when he was crawling up on the side of the terrarium, but I hadn’t noticed his head was facing me. So he saw me and thought I was reaching for his head. This happened about 2 weeks ago. Ever since then if he was out and I walked past his cage he’d “run” to his burrow and hide for the remainder of the day. He’s always been shy and would pause if you peered into his cage, but it’s never been this bad. I’m usually a very patient pet owner, but I’m starting to get frustrated. If I take one step towards the terrarium, off he goes into his burrow. It’s difficult because I try to be aware of him as to not stress him out, so I basically have to tiptoe around my room not to disturb him.Sorry for the really long post. Does anyone have any advice? Or has anyone been through something similar?