How hard to raise silkworms? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
VipVenom
How hard to raise silkworms?

Just wanted to see if anyone has tryed raising silkworms out there. Also if there are any suggestions on what else to raise (that is easy) that has a high fat content as well.

thanks,
Chris

Old 01-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
jenn_jeffery
Silkies are easy to raise, if you have the time. The chow takes longer than anything to prepare. Other than that, it's routine maintainance.

Check into roaches. Most are supposed to be easy to care for (if you can get over the ick factor). They are cleaner than crickets....

http://roaches.arbreptiles.com/index.phtml

Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
John Apple
[quote=jenn_jeffery]Silkies are easy to raise, if you have the time. The chow takes longer than anything to prepare. Other than that, it's routine maintainance.

Check into roaches. Most are supposed to be easy to care for (if you can get over the ick factor). They are cleaner than crickets...]

Yes they are easy to raise, having raised them before. The problem I see with silkies is that the food is more costly than the worms themselves [not a problem with roaches as they will eat anything ]. If you were to go into production of silkies be prepared .
meal worms are a good source for feeding and they eat oats [how costly are oats]. Zoophobes are a bit different as they will eat more meat products for this I use dogfood. The adult beetles make good food for some of the bigger lizards.I have had roach colonies and mealie colonies for many years
keeping all food items clean are a prerequisite for captive raising.
Good luck and let me know what you decide and I'll help you as much as I can

Old 01-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
VipVenom
thanks

Thanks Jon and Jen. I read the link that you left me and I am now thinking of doing roaches. How are lobster roaches? I looked at them and they look like the least "roach" looking one. Can they fly? Also are the roaches easier and less expenssive than breeding mealworms? Right now I purchase my mealworms and as I get more and more mouths to feed it is seeming less and less economical. Also if you know of any places to get roaches near Florida that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
VipVenom
P.s

Forgot to mention that I was feeding leopard geckos. Which roaches would be best for them?

Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
John Apple
For the geckos I would say the lobsters or juvie deaths heads...try this for your mealies...put them in a drawer with a few pounds of oatmeal and leave them be...the worms will grow and turn into the chrysalid stage and then shed out as egg laying beetles..withen a couple of months from the start you will have baby worms...keep in mind these are not a good steady diet and supplimentation is necessary [other bugs]
What I do in the summer is go out and get meadow plancton[field bugs from a 'clean' field] or I set a bucket hanging from a light at night and cherry pick the bugs for my critters.
Lobsters are pretty cool as they are not to hard and they are rather small.
But they can climb smooth surfaces.
I keep giant cave roaches but they take a couple of years to be a productive colony. Had them for 4 years now and juvies to adults are not that hard [hard hissers anyone], the baby roaches are perfect for small lizards such as geckos and baby monitors

Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
VipVenom
John,
Do you know anymore info about the false death's heads? I am thinking now I am more interested in these more than the lobsters is that the lobsters which ,from what I hear, are a little fast for leos. Have you ever worked with these guys? Just out of curiosity what species of cave roach is it the gigantus *sp*?
Thost guys are about 4in long if I am not mistaken.

thanks,
Chris

Old 01-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
John Apple
The false deaths heads are pretty easy to raise [as roaches go] and you should have no problems raising these for food, the only problem they can burrow under pretty fast and your leos might miss them
Yes the roaches I have are the B. giganteus Chinese cave roaches
once they get started they take off pretty fast [just takes a couple of years from baby to adult]

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!