How to breed hognose in hot climate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
HerpMasters Inc.
How to breed hognose in hot climate

Hi I am considering breeding hognose just on a personal basis. The problem I have is that I live in S Florida and it does not get cold enough consistently in the winter to brumate them. I have considered a converted beverage cooler set up, etc. Would love to hear from hognose breeders all over whom might have ideas. Thanks

Old 10-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
I have not bred hogs (though I have a pair), but I do breed mountain kingsnakes and rosy boas, and I've been hibernating box turtles for 20 years. I use a dorm fridge on a Ranco thermostat -- works fine. Nothing fancy, just a fridge on a thermostat. It works better than my main hibernaculum, which is a cold room in a fieldstone basement, since I can control temperature more tightly, and I don't have to deal with winter coming too late for my schedule.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
terrylove
I've used a wine fridge before and a chest freezer on on a Herpstat thermostat. I had the freezer outside over the winter with heat rope in the bottom and the weather was 95 F in December.... soooo I had to plug the freezer into the thermostat too! Worked great! Freezer set to 57, heater set to 50. My temps were 55 most of the winter.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
Desert Hogs
I've only been breeding them for the last 2 years but I've never brumated mine and I've gotten 6 good clutches from them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!