Poll: Stop Breeding Sulcatas - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I agree. Taken at face value, this poll makes some good points and I think that as a community it is important to discuss trends.
However, the OP has made a number of bizarre posts that operate as disruptions. I am wondering if this is a PETA person.
, , and !! I would also like to add, he, might just be some "animal rights activist"....:

Regarding, the OP's bizarre statements, I think he was just suggesting how to make some truly captive born and bred Tiliqua sp. !!!

Old 08-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
nlmiller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Frog View Post
I think that sulcatas are very much overproduced, if you read the classifieds some breeders are offering many100's of hatchlings

Our next national problem might be many released split scute sulcatas destroying the deserts of south Arizona.
That's a good point Ed. I'm surprised that released/escaped Sulcatas haven't become a problem yet given how easily they breed.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
nlmiller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs_With_Wolves View Post
I say yes. I went to the Reptile Gardens in South Dakota and they have so many sulcatas. One of the keepers said most were pets who got too big.
Sulcatas in South Dakota are two things I would have never thought to put together.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #14
Runs_With_Wolves
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlmiller1 View Post
Sulcatas in South Dakota are two things I would have never thought to put together.
I have a sulcata up here in Montana and there is a breeder in northern Idaho.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
nlmiller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs_With_Wolves View Post
I have a sulcata up here in Montana and there is a breeder in northern Idaho.
I'm guessing that you have to keep yours primarily indoors right? Interesting about the breeder in ID. They must have quite a bit of indoor space dedicated.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #16
evergladesboy
Well, people are not that smart, and you cannot fix that. I have sold thousands of sulcata. Did they all go to good homes? Of course not. But i have had many people email me picture of my babies, years later, and bragging how they are part of the family.

Life isnt perfect

I think there are too many human babies being produced and not enough good homes for them.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
TylerStewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlmiller1 View Post
That's a good point Ed. I'm surprised that released/escaped Sulcatas haven't become a problem yet given how easily they breed.
Are we being serious that sulcatas being released in the next national problem? I thought that was a joke.... They likely wouldn't survive a winter here in Las Vegas without artificial heat (I have had them die when they were down in a burrow and I couldn't get them out to heat them). Other than the Southernmost parts of the country, it is much too cold. Even in a burrow, if the daytime high isn't in the 70s, it would be too cold for them in the winter.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #18
nlmiller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerStewart View Post
Are we being serious that sulcatas being released in the next national problem? I thought that was a joke.... They likely wouldn't survive a winter here in Las Vegas without artificial heat (I have had them die when they were down in a burrow and I couldn't get them out to heat them). Other than the Southernmost parts of the country, it is much too cold. Even in a burrow, if the daytime high isn't in the 70s, it would be too cold for them in the winter.
The "next national problem" is a bit too dramatic. I'm aware of several large breeders in AZ who allow them to burrow all through the winter using just additional hay. I'm sure the same could be said for breeders in FL.

We've digressed a bit, Tyler. What are your thoughts on tens of thousands of Sulcatas bred each year?

Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #19
nlmiller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergladesboy View Post
Well, people are not that smart, and you cannot fix that. I have sold thousands of sulcata. Did they all go to good homes? Of course not. But i have had many people email me picture of my babies, years later, and bragging how they are part of the family.

Life isnt perfect

I think there are too many human babies being produced and not enough good homes for them.
Thanks, Michael for your input. I've made multiple requests to the following Sulcata Breeders; Ballands Tortoise Ranch, Arizona Sulcata, 5150cham, and SuperMalATA seeking their thoughts on this issue. So far, they seem to be avoiding.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:17 AM   #20
rbetz-Tortstork
I was asked to voice my opinion on this matter, and i want to disclose thats all it is. I’m not telling people what they can and can’t do. I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer for this specific topic. There are opinions that can be made, which will be poo poo’d by someone with an opposite opinion. For large breeders that are successful, it’s a business. Breeding is a way of life and a way of feeding your family, it’s tough to not have that species available. To call a spade a spade, it’s a good source of income and if someone denies that, then they don’t rely on sulcatas to pay a mortgage, etc. I consider breeding and selling sulcatas similar to giving someone advice when they ask for it. Once you give a person some advice, it’s their responsibility to act on it. If they choose not to, that is on them. I don’t like to assume, but in this situation, i would like to assume that sulcata breeders make buyers aware of how big these animals get, and the commitment that goes into raising them. I know i do. At the same time, sulcata buyers need to take responsibility in educating themselves. Releasing them into the wild is a complete different subject that shouldn’t be ignored. The only positive thing about it, is a sulcata tortoise isn’t going to eat a child at Disney world. If anything, it would continue to add a smile to an innocent persons face, that doesn’t know the ramifications of releasing CB anything into the wild. Sulcatas are cute, pretty, hardy as hatchlings, and prolific breeders as adults, which makes them a staple in most tortoise breeders availability list. In my neutral emotional opinion, and i want to make this very clear that it’s just an opinion, not a forceful suggestion, one way to prevent this is to not breed or sell sulcatas. Look at Chris Leone, he is a successful tortoise breeder, refuses to breed sulcatas. Now he might offer some here and there if he received in a trade or something, but to my knowledge, he refuses to breed them due to how readily available they are in the market he competes in. They next question you might ask is “why does tortstork offer them as eggs?” The answer is because i think sulcatas are amazing animals. I make sure customers are well educated. If a sulcata inquiry goes past just finding out how much they are, then i make sure the buyer is well educated in what their future beholds. After that, it’s their responsibility to care for that tortoise for life. I’m also pretty understanding that life throws curve balls. S*it happens, plans change, and sometimes you have to move in a different direction. Releasing them into the wild isn’t the right action to take, so maybe something positive can come out of this thread. Maybe someone here owns a sulcata rehoming farm and can share how they are helping change these gorgeous animal’s lives.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!