On the hunt for eastern hognose!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Royzft
On the hunt for eastern hognose!!!

Did alot of herping this year I found so many snakes but the eastern hognose eludes me. I been doing alot of pine barrens and Pocono mountains even some Maryland areas. Still nothing. Got a few weeks left would love some spots or suggestions. Last snake off my bucket list to find and document. Anything would help. Been spending alot of time at Franklin Parker perseve. Found a beautiful Northern pine juvenile witch was amazing.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
WebSlave
I used to find them quite commonly in St. Marys County, MD, when I lived up that way. But that was a good 30 years ago. And I remember a spot I found off of the old route 301 in South Carolina where there had to be a good dozen of really dark colored ones living under a single large piece of plywood.

So they are out there. Or at least used to be.

Just look for places where you would think toads might be found.

BTW, Connie and I found a baby hognose in St. Marys County many years ago that was very brilliantly colored in yellows, oranges, and reds. Very pretty looking critter. So we brought that one home with us and raised it up. Darn thing turned jet black as an adult. Never would have expected that.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Royzft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I used to find them quite commonly in St. Marys County, MD, when I lived up that way. But that was a good 30 years ago. And I remember a spot I found off of the old route 301 in South Carolina where there had to be a good dozen of really dark colored ones living under a single large piece of plywood.

So they are out there. Or at least used to be.

Just look for places where you would think toads might be found.

BTW, Connie and I found a baby hognose in St. Marys County many years ago that was very brilliantly colored in yellows, oranges, and reds. Very pretty looking critter. So we brought that one home with us and raised it up. Darn thing turned jet black as an adult. Never would have expected that.
Awsome thanks I actually was told about that area for scarlet milks. Appreciate your help

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
WebSlave
I don't believe you will find any scarlet king snakes in St. Marys County, but possibly coastal plains milk snakes, if you are lucky.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Royzft
That's what i ment sorry. Hey it's worth a 3 hour ride. I may take a run this weekend. What the heck

Old 09-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
WebSlave
If you are interested in coastal plains milks, I found a heck of a lot more of them in New Jersey than I did in Maryland. Wish I still had the locality maps I marked up when I lived up there, but they are long gone now.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Royzft
I need to find some areas and start looking

Old 10-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Bagnew
This is an older post but I used to find them along the old railroad bed near Cedar Run

Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
Royzft
Oh yeah? Not familiar with that I will check it out. Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!