Relocating wildlife (lots of photos) - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
valleysnakeguy
The problem with the 1-mile idea however, is that the property where they were captured is what we call a "closed community" of retired folk, it's like a country club and only the residents of the community are given access to enter.

Because of this, it was impossible to relocate them within that one, or half mile as studies would suggest. The good thing that can possibly come of this though, is that a common nearby road-herping road was chosen for the relocation of the captures rattlesnakes. And hopefully, they can thrive.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
If you have to choose between relocating or letting the property owner kill it, I say relocate. At the same time, try to educate about snakes and why the snakes come there, and what sort of snakes they might be able to bring in(like kingsnakes or other nonvenomous species)to discourage more rattlers from moving in perhaps? If nothing else, bringing in nonvenomous with the property owner's permission will start the process of "There are good snakes" from the old mentality of "Kill all snakes".
Pretty much what I have been saying. Relocating is ineffective without education.

It's not my opinion on the one mile mark but that's what research and studies have shown. In the one paper, which was a dissertation by the way, 50 foot was all that was needed for a safe move.

Most snakes, especially rattlesnakes, avoid the area where a conflict has occurred.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
iasc300
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleysnakeguy View Post
The problem with the 1-mile idea however, is that the property where they were captured is what we call a "closed community" of retired folk, it's like a country club and only the residents of the community are given access to enter.

Because of this, it was impossible to relocate them within that one, or half mile as studies would suggest. The good thing that can possibly come of this though, is that a common nearby road-herping road was chosen for the relocation of the captures rattlesnakes. And hopefully, they can thrive.
Agreed Prince you have to do what you have to do. We are approaching on native habitats all over the world and have been for years and unfortanatly the animals have to be moved. If you cant do it within a mile then you have to do it where ever you can. Thats the facts, right or wrong thats what has to be done. And again I agree with both of your standpoints. And I dont think Tim is telling you thats what you have to do but giving insite on some facts hes learned through is experiances and old age lol. But you have to release them where you can and where its safe both both people and snakes

Old 07-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
valleysnakeguy
And I very much welcome all criticism, even if I don't like it. But, I grew up old school and taught to "respect my elders" and so on, so I can take a punch. =)

Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #25
danthebugman
Nice pics, looks like a fun time also . Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
sFlsniper
thanks for sharring that! You have a nice camera and great skills!

this is my favorite shot:

Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #27
valleysnakeguy
Thank you very much! Stay tuned for more photos of the SoCal reptile show!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #28
DaveyFig
I think that the effort is commendable, but also have a concern. Even if there wasn't research that pointed to a certain death for relocated rattlesnakes, I would think twice about moving them. Of course, I don't have the knowledge that other have, but would think that there are probably diseases, or at least pathogens that are as locale specific as the snakes they infect. Wouldn't relocating these animals to an area they shouldn't be also bring with them the pathogens that they may have built up an immunity to, exposing the local community to unnecessary risks? That could not only kill the relocated animals, but those that are where they should be.Just a thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!