Early klauberi activity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
lepidusklauberi
Early klauberi activity

I walked into the klauberi room this morning and caught a pair of Black Range copulating. From what I observed it lasted nearly 7 hours, but it could have started before I first saw them.

John Blume
www.klauberi.com
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
Are the klauberi normally spring breeders?
I haven't kept that subspecies, I work with the lepidus myself, but mine usually copulate in the fall primarily. I have seen occasional copulation in the spring but I always considered that "late" since it was outside of the most common period.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
lepidusklauberi
Clay -

Yes, klauberi are fall breeders, but it's not uncommon for them to hook up in Spring. Some believe that this means the female is not gravid and will not go this year. I rely heavily on Solenoglyph, who has tremendous amounts of klauberi breeding successes, invaluable klauberi knowledge, and an unselfish attitude in sharing klauberi husbandry techniques.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I was wondering that if due to their more montane natural habitat that they might be more inclined to be spring breeders. I do plan to add klauberi to my group in the future and am always glad to gain any new knowledge of them, especially with the relative scarcity of it.

You definitely have some outstanding specimens and I've enjoyed your posts.
To date I have only successfully reproduced the lepidus once so I do not consider myself to be "successful" with the species just yet. I've only been keeping them about five years though, a couple of which due to other issues breeding wasn't attempted.
This past season I nearly lost one of my adult females to retained slugs, but fortunately we were able to determine the problem in time and were able to save her.

I'd be very interested to see more posts from you, including your method of housing etc. I've found it to be unfortunately rare to locate other individuals with a specific interest in this group who have knowledge they are willing to share. Most of what little I have accomplished to date has just been by means of trial and error trying to figure out what works on my own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!