What do you house your males in? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
Randall Turner
What do you house your males in?

I'm wanting to expand how many animals I'm going to be growing and working with (just a handful currently) so I'm contemplating changing things up, moving males from enclosures into racks. Not sure though if that is what I want to do really or not.

If I go with racks for males I was thinking about building a rack around the FB90 tub (They are 26 1/2" x 33 1/4" x 7") So not a terribly small size but they aren't huge either. I could also use Iris VE 175 tubs (Christmas tree boxes) that are approximately 52"x21"x14" (I have 11 of them sitting unused at the moment, kinda hoarding them when I see some clearanced).

Old 03-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
TIBOR PAPP
Hi Randy..I keep breeder males together in 16' by12" x 2'..remove to feed of course.
raise up males 28 qt in rack

Old 03-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
bcr229
Babies/juvies in racks.

Young adults in racks with Hefty 52-qt under-bed tubs. You can DIY easily with a lid-on design using a plastic shelving unit, just cut the vertical supports to length so the lid is held in place by the shelf above it. Mine uses 11" wide heat tape covered with a piece of very thin acrylic so it's protected from the tubs sliding.

My adults are in T8's though they would fit fine in the VE-175's, and there are commercial shelving units where you could make a DIY rack easily.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Randall Turner
Thanks Tibor and Melinda for the responses.

If I decide to use the VE175 tubs, I've actually modified the tops to have a hinged door on them (only 3 so far). The nice thing about this is the hinged lid is the same height as the rim of the tub lid, so would slide nicely into a rack.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
bcr229
That's pretty slick.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
elena
I house adult male in an ARS rack that is about 50" long and 24" wide. It was really expensive but I feel it was worth it because the thing is just so well made. It allows me to fit 6 adult boa constrictors in one stack.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
Randall Turner
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I house adult male in an ARS rack that is about 50" long and 24" wide. It was really expensive but I feel it was worth it because the thing is just so well made. It allows me to fit 6 adult boa constrictors in one stack.
I hope to eventually get some ARS racks down the road, but it'll be one of those things where some neos being sold will help me purchase them.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #8
elena
It's totally worth it once you have the money. I'm never going back to the way I used to keep large constrictors.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
AmorphTheus
Right now 48x24x12" or 48x30x18" AP and ProLine cages. I'd prefer larger, but I think I'm going to end up making the switch to FB racking systems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!