Transporting Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
filez41
Transporting Eggs

Hey Everyone, I have kind of a weird question.
I saw a video of NERD down in Dayton where Kevin had some babies still in the egg. How would one transport eggs a long distance? Would the bouncing of a car or truck disturb them or harm their growth? I'm partially asking out of curiosity, but partially asking because I might have to move some this summer if my girls don't hurry up and lay.
I was thinking the best thing to do would be slap them in a hovabator and plug it into the car dash and just drive carefully.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
LadyOhh
I've done it, and basically as long as you cushion any jarring or movement that may happen and keep temps up, there shouldn't be a problem.

It also depends on the development of the eggs. Freshly laid ones will react much more poorly to movement than those of about to hatch status.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
filez41
That sounds perfect, what did you do to keep the temps up?
I can think of a few things like heat packs, but those seem very unreliable, or a hovabator, or just strap a heating element with a thermostat to the tub they're in. I guess as long as you keep the temps in the ideal range it shouldn't matter too much.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
LadyOhh
I only travelled a short distance, and I actually only used a well insulated foam cooler with no additional heat.

Since the eggs were in an enclosed box with the hatching substrate, the temps stayed relatively even.

I traveled for around 20 miles up hills and down hills, and over speed bumps, and still the eggs hatched alright.

There were eggs that were a month old to two weeks old..

Just to give you an idea.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
filez41
oh, ok. Very cool, thanks so much!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!