Tampa Show - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 03-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
bcherps
Tampa Show

Reply to Tampa Show

I have moved this posting from another section under advisement of the webslave. So if you read it under business, there is nothing new here.

I had a very bad experience at the Tampa Show. I had animals stolen, very weak sales, negative reactions to and from Mr. Cueto's staff.

I know that several other vendors had animals stolen also. I also felt that the vendor plushes like pipe/drape, free lunch, restriction of super wholesaler/price slasher was pushed much more heavily in the advertisements then was actually seen on the vendor level.

I also was promised an 8X8 booth, but since I was on the end my 8X8 space was the same 8X8 space as the first table in the row. Mr. Cueto's staff provided me with a free table to compensate. I was informed that I was given the space becuase of a cancellation not because I was sold a bum spot.

I emailed my issues to Mr. Cueto and received a very thourough response, however, most of it was personal attacks. Mr. Cueto basically said I was a liar, nieve, and a whiner.

I am sure that several vendors and spectators had a great show, but I will never vend or attend that show again.

I am not trying to disparage Mr. Cueto or sway anyone away from Mr. Cueto or his shows, this is simply my experience.

I am personally going to avoid his functions from now on.

Thank you to everyone that expressed concern at the show about my animals. I would like to extend the same apologies to anyone who was robbed themselves.

Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Ben,

I am sorry to hear you had animals stolen at the show. it is a terrible thing when it happens but that is not Tony's fault by any stretch of the imagination. Each Vendor is responsible for their own security at their own tables. I have had animals stolen at shows before and now use a screen to cover any deli containers or containers that are easily removed. My other cages have the doors toward the back and any door to the front is taped shut. I feel the attendance was down a little this show compared to last March and September and the customers were not buying higher dollar items but is was still a very good show. The low sales you had are not Tony's fault either, he has spent alot of money promoting the show but with he economy the way it is and the threat of the impending war people are not spending money like in months past. All a promoter can do it promote the show the best they can, make it look the best they can, get the best vendors they can and hope for the rest. If someone's sales are down there is nobody to blame except the public and or the vendor. By the Vendor I mean maybe the vendor did not have in stock what the customers wanted. The majority of my sales were all under $50. this should tell you something. the attendees were not spending the cash.
The tables on the end are a little awkward as they are normally sold to a person that gets the entire end cap. As far as the Drapes, and such behind the tables and the free lunch's it is a nice change compared to all the other promoters out there that ONLY care about the money. Tony invested a lot of money to make each and every table look better and more professional I think it does wonders to the show. It makes the entire show look cleaner and more professional. I am very happy that Tony purchased the drapes and such and to be honest Tony's shows are some of the best shows out there and by FAR the best shows in the state of Florida. I can understand someone not wanting to do a show again because they did not have great sales but I highly suggest trying again before you make up your final decision. Just tell Tony next time you don't want to be on the end cap. or right next to it and I am sure you will be happier with the table.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
bcherps
reply to rk

I know it is not Mr. Cueto fault my animals were stolen. It is the fault of the people who took my animals. My animals were in sliding tray displays, and they were taken between 7:45 pm Friday and 7:45 am saturday, so the public was not involved. It was either another vendor or one of Mr. Cueto's staff.
I also know that sales are not Mr. Cueto's problems, however I was told in the marketing pitch that super wholesalers and super vendors were not allowed, however how do I sell a captive bred ball python I have sat on over the winter against an import for $10. How do I sell a captive bred green tree python for $175. These are just a few of the species I saw at well below standard wholesale. I know you cannot agree to set prices, however I was told I would not have to compete against these guys. It was one of the major factors it deciding to do this show. I am from an area of the country where tables are $50 not $140. I know several people did well at the show and probably loved it. However, I feel that for the price I paid I expected much more. I can also see having a bad show now and again. WHen I emailed my complaints to Mr. Cueto his reply was almost 100% personal attack, this is why I have decided to voice my opinion and my experiences.

As it is now I have told Mr. Cueto I never want to vend anything he promotes and he has informed me I am never allowed to vend at anything he promotes.

Maybe you are right and Mr. Cueto is the best promoter in all the land, but I have no desire to offer him my business anymore.
I wish everybody else who decides to do this show the best of luck. I know that my personal boycott of Mr. Cueto's shows will never cause a ripple in his world but it is the principle of it to me. I would rather drive 12 hours one way to Hamburg or fly to Maine and New Hampshire to participate in thier shows than to stay here and be trodden upon.

Ben Cole

Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #4
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Do you have photo's of the stolen animals, or can you recall what they looked like clearly enough to give a description we can use to watch for these animals? Any distinguishing markings? Whomever took your animals may try to retail them, and a lot of us cruise the classifieds daily. (I do, I never miss a day looking at classifieds!)

Another note~ I've not been a vendor at a reptile show, but I have been a vendor at some Ren Faires. While we trusted our fellow vendors while we were present, we were unwilling to allow temptation to get the better of someone and cost us money. We brought sleeping bags and camped out under our tables. Should be easier at a reptile show, they are usually indoors. ~Ren Faires are almost always outside, and I usually worked the Anchorage, Alaska "Three Barons Faire" ~ I spent more than one night freezing and trying to huddle under a 4'X2' table as a rain shield!!

Old 03-17-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
I tried to attach the pictures from the web in the original post but I couldn't. The link is http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=32&de=68365

Maybe someone knows how to do it.

If I understood Ben right although the two ball pythons are normal-looking they are heterozygous for a certain trait. That's what makes them valuable. In my opinion the individual who stole them probably wants to raise them for himself. Why will he go through the trouble of stealing two ball pythons that he will have to sell w/o papers as normals when normal-looking ball pythons were selling according to Ben for $10 a piece at the show?

Good luck Ben!

Old 03-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Ben,

Again I am sorry that you had animals stolen specially during those hours. Personally I do not leave anything at my table that is exceptionally valuable no matter what show it is. I also stay at the show during the hours until the last minute to ensure I am one of the last to leave. It is a sad day that your animals were stolen. Also I did not see anyone selling Ball Pythons for $10ea specially since the wholesale price on them is higher than that, nor did I see c.b. baby Chondro selling for $175ea. I pretty much looked at everyone's tables and did not see anyone's prices that were way too low. I always go around and price check all weekend to make sure someone is not undercutting my prices by much. I am sorry that you feel you must leave his shows and I think it is a bad thing for someone to leave on a bad note like this but everyone must do what they feel is the best thing for themselves. I have known Tony for a while and would never think he would say do anything like a personal attack on another person. If you would like to forward the e-mails between you and he I would be glad to read them and see what transpired in the situation. Also there is a possibility that Tony might post on here as I know he reads the BOI.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:29 PM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
There are a few distungiushing marks, but I'm afraid your right, even if I saw those two ball pythons in an add I would have to have a picture of them on my desk top to make the identification. I will still try to keep an eye out. I check the Classifieds for balls everyday (But somehow I missed the "Have you seen me" in the classifieds so I guess I don't look as often as I thought).........I'll keep looking though.

Such a bummer. Sorry to hear about the loss.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
WebSlave
I have to agree with Rob about Tony Cueto.

I have been doing Tony's shows for quite a while now and have never seen him get mouthy or have harsh words to anyone. He's probably one of the easiest to get along with people I have met. Both him and Alex do everything they can to make the shows work for the vendors and are always will to help and listen to suggestions. Not to say that Tony couldn't have lost his cool, but I would be real surprised to see it. And I would certainly wand to see both sides of the conversation.

I heard that Tom Marino has a bunch of animals ripped off at the show as well. And it was in the same timeframe. I suspect that security needs to be tightened up substantially when most of the vendors are out of the building.

Rich Z.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
bc_reptiles
Ben:

I don't know how things are in FL, but here in TX we have some people who promote "captive bred only" shows.

Sure, there is a chance that someone will "sneak" in an import. It's really nice to be able to sell your animals for what they are worth. It's really hard to compete with imported and WC animals. I don't have anything against WC, I just choose not to attend and vend at show where they are being sold!

Just my thoughts,
Brian Miller
BC Reptiles

Old 03-18-2003, 07:12 AM   #10
turtle world
I never posted on this board even I read it quite often.

I have to aggree with Rob, Tony and Rich.

I am very sorry to hear you got animals stolen, this
happend to me also sometime back at a other show,
so I chanced my display, after to doors are open to the venders
no promotor can have any security anymore, somebody
has to be on the table or all the animals have to be secured.

As of Tony being rude, he always was very nice to me and
he sounds like somebody who wants to accomedate everbody.
I would like to see the emails.

As of the show, I felt Saturday was a great day, many
people where buying and I think it was a very good show.

Tony trys his best to promote his shows and bring people in,
then it is your part how we display our animals and what
prices we take.

I also did not see super cheap prices, in all the years
I learned there are customers which buy WC cheaper
animals and other want CB and only look around for
quality CB animals for the best price, which is fine with me.

George Ullman

Turtle World

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!