New Pennsylvania Super Shows! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #21
Goombas Reptiles
Now all we need is a multi-city shuttle service lol

Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
mikeyt
Scott, You say that you know of several venomous vendors that do not plan on attending the show. Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason that you know of? Other prior commitments, or just not gonna support this show.

Just curious.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 AM   #23
DIESELMACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
Scott, You say that you know of several venomous vendors that do not plan on attending the show. Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason that you know of? Other prior commitments, or just not gonna support this show.

Just curious.
One vendor I am personal friends with and work with also(which the list is not current or accurate as we are on it and are not signed up for any of the shows) and three others I am in contact with on a daily basis and they are on it and not attending either..the post was not meant as a stab or negative gesture...the fact is that venomous sales depend on the crowd and many of the new venues may not bring that crowd unless advertised as such or at least a showing of some of the venomous vendors actually attending..as bad as the other venue is which I agree,it is known and has a following thats reliable,also closer for alot of us from the west.just as the carlisle show..the crowd is just not there..other than the hamburg show the pittsburgh/cheswick show is the only other that has a good venomous following and crowd thats worth the time. So no real reason other than the risk for such a long drive ect.. and not knowing what to expect.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #24
DanRC30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELMACK View Post
One vendor I am personal friends with and work with also(which the list is not current or accurate as we are on it and are not signed up for any of the shows) and three others I am in contact with on a daily basis and they are on it and not attending either..
Thanks for your comments Dieselmack.

I don't keep track of who is coming and who isn't. I just update the website accordingly and I get weekly updates from Marty. If we removed and replaced everyone that attends the show every time, it'd be an incredible amount of work since most vendors can be counted on and they sign up at the last minute. Vendors even show up 'the day of' to try to get a table.

This is a double-edged sword. Those who don't wish to risk the drive, don't support the new/improved format. And when the crowds come and see a lacking of venomous vendors, those people may decide to not attend the next show(s). Those vendors who do support the show will only come if the crowds are good. If the crowd is light (which we do not anticipate due to the amount of advertising going on), then those vendors may not want to risk signing up again. So it is a double-edged sword.

As far as advertising goes, these convention centers have their own team of marketers and are advertising the show on their own for us. Did the owners of the fieldhouse do that? I don't know... I highly doubt it.

Carlisle is not Philly. Not by a long shot. The Philly area is an enormously populated city. This is why there are huge convention centers in that area... to house all of the people. Let's face it, the crowds have been light at Hamburg as well. I've seen it.

We already have a huge response from the vendors and all comments have been positive. They can't wait to get out of the fieldhouse. Those vendors who balk on this show will be missing out.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #25
mikeyt
Scott, I do happen to agree with you on many aspects. The venomous sales as well as all other sales do depend on the crowd showing up, Getting the crowd to come means also getting the vendors to come.

Carlisle has some potential, but got off on the wrong foot when it started, and is not much better off now under the new promoter. I think they will either have to step it up or step down.

Hamburg is definitely well known and has been a staple in the reptile market for many years with a dedicated following. But it has also been well known by both vendors and buyers alike as a show that has outgrown its facility in many more ways then one. As a buyer I have attended many, many hamburg shows over the past years and have always heard the same complaints from vendors and patrons thru general conversation.

People attend hamburg because they have no where else to go, so it seems to me that the old saying "if you build it, they will come" comes into play here. I mean, all that is going on here is a current established show (that has already existed for many years) is moving to a bigger, better venue, adding new vendors and many new assets that will benefit both vendors and patrons. Why would no one support this? Makes no sense to me.

Those who choose not to go, no longer need to complain.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #26
DIESELMACK
I agree completely and am behind the change...as for the updating of the vendors,that is understandable. I hope all falls into place and turnout is good,I will more than likely be there with a few others and make the trip just to check things out.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #27
dragonlvr64
I personally think it is important to update the list of vendors as much as possible. There are some vendors that I would make a trip to see or at least make a longer trip. I think if someone is looking for something in particular and that list is not updated to show the current vendors attending you can possibly lose a bit of people that way too.

If I go to the show to see a certain vendor and find out the list was not updated, that might put a bad taste in my mouth.

Would Marty take a volunteer to keep the list as current as feasibly possible.
I know last minute things come up, but maybe a certain time frame before the show, say two days, or a week or whatever. Then on the list itself maybe a notation of list being current up to such and such a date? This is part of the advertising a vendor needs to help draw his own crowd to the show.
Here again, just my opinion. Don't want to upset anyone

Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #28
mikeyt
As a buyer I pass up alot of the vendors and tables at Hamburg because it is to crowded and you cant get to them easily. I would probably spend more when I go, but if I cant clearly get to a table and see what a vendor has to offer, im not stopping. And then if I cant get a chance to talk to the vendor about my purchase I am definitely passing it by.

So I am definintely looking forward to the extra space at the new show. Some vendors may make a few sales from me at this show.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
DanRC30
That's great Mikey!

I see by this discussion that some vendors are afraid of taking a chance on an established show that's in a new location. However, one thing I feel I should add to this is that Marty ran a show at the Valley Forge Convention center in Philly in 2006, and just like now, some vendors were skeptical. But what happened was about 2,000 people showed up and since the vendor attendance was a little lighter than normal, those that were selling make a killing that day. And that was a one-time, 2-day show. Also, a bad storm from a Hurricane rolled in and he still had 2,000 people show up! Imagine what this show will be like since its not a one-time event... a show that will be at the same location time and time again, with no Hurricane! Trust me, the people will be there and the vendors who are skeptical and want to "play it safe", just might find themselves one step behind all of the vendors that do show up to sell. Just some food for thought.

Additionally, I'm updating the vendors list tonight, so feel free to check it out! www.NorthernBerksReptileShow.com and www.EastCoastReptileSuperExpos.com are both working now.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #30
eagles20jon
i think that this move is long over due with the condition of the old field house getting worse and getting dirtier every time that it is used. it never gets cleaned by the owning group so i would love to see a bigger show than it already is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!