New Pennsylvania Super Shows! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #31
mikeyt
So I went to Hamburg this weekend. Where were all the people. No crowd. I could actually get into the aisles and see what vendors had to offer. With the exception of all the vendors that had there garbage in the middle of the aisles. Congrats to all the vendors who made sales to me that I could never buy from before because I couldnt get to you.

Also, just a note. What in the hell is up with all the garbage for sale there this last time. Example, pocket books, squirt guns, busted up tanks and cages and more. It looked like a damn flea market.

Whats the deal with all of the dogs and cats for sale? Last time I looked this was a reptile show not freakin Pet Co.

Anyone else wanna comment.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #32
Goombas Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
So I went to Hamburg this weekend. Where were all the people. No crowd. I could actually get into the aisles and see what vendors had to offer. With the exception of all the vendors that had there garbage in the middle of the aisles. Congrats to all the vendors who made sales to me that I could never buy from before because I couldnt get to you.

Also, just a note. What in the hell is up with all the garbage for sale there this last time. Example, pocket books, squirt guns, busted up tanks and cages and more. It looked like a damn flea market.

Whats the deal with all of the dogs and cats for sale? Last time I looked this was a reptile show not freakin Pet Co.

Anyone else wanna comment.
Ha yeah, I noticed all the weird stuff too. It definitely had an odd feeling this time around. I'm wondering if now that the new shows have been announced if people are weaning off of the fieldhouse. I got there at 8am and was only about 20 people back in line from the door. Even by 9 the line wasn't terribly long. Granted they were calling for snow, but still. Also with there now being a show every month, I think each show may suffer a bit because there is no "urgency" to be there to get things. I know personally that I load up on supplies at each show because they have to last me until the next one. I'm sure there are others who do the same thing.
Was it just me or did prices seem to go up a bit? Even from the last october show. The fall/winter shows used to be great to get cheaper animals because breeders wanted to clear out their extraneous stock to focus on the current breeding season. I havent seen the reduced prices this year yet.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #33
dragonlvr64
There were chickens in the aisle about 8:30am. Never saw that before! I loved being able to get up to the tables and see everything. Talk to the vendors! I was able to spend quite some time with Tom from TND Dragons to purchase a bearded. I never would have had the opportunity in prior shows to be able to see all the different reptiles up for sale, let alone get up to talk to the vendors and be able to ask questions,ect... I bought quite a lot too!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #34
mikeyt
I dont think prices changed all that much on the tables this time around, but vendors were definitely willing to negotiate. my friend bought a bumblee bee that was marked $750 for $450, and I bought quite a few ball morphs for reduced prices so I think if you were seriously buying vendors were willing to budge.

I dont know if the snow held that many people back, I have seen alot worse weather there and it is still packed. Not sure if the promise of the new show would have taken that kind of effect on attendance this early in the game, however, in talking to many of the vendors and people while I was in line there is quite a buzz about this new show, and many who plan on attending.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #35
MikeCurtin
One of the things I also noticed about the Hamburg venue was the price/quality of animals. I've only vended the show a few times, but have been going there for a while. Many of the other vendors have been going there primarily to move some of their cheaper stuff and make room. My lower end stuff has generally sold better than the higher end stuff.

I have sold some stuff there, so I'm not knocking it, but a larger venue couldn't hurt. It's catch 22. When the place is packed, people can't get to your table to see what you've got without getting shoved out of the way. When it's slow, it's really hard to make any money.

All in all, I plan on doing both, time permitting. I just spoke to Marty and am in for the Jan. 16th show in Reading, and I plan on calling Denise to set things up for either the next Hamburg show, or the one right after.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #36
eagles20jon
it was very packed in the morning when I went but it was a very good show the only thing was it was still dirty so the new bigger building will help take care of that

Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #37
mikeyt
There was definitely a strange vibe about the show this time. There was definitely alot less people there this time around. Vendors do seem to go there to get rid of some of their cheaper stuff, but look at what Hamburg has become. Years ago it was an up an coming show and was actually nice to attend, but now it is like a combination road side flea market and Pa Farm sh

Old 12-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #38
MikeCurtin
Everyone remember that most people will be violating the Lacey Act by selling at any of these shows if S373 passes. Join USARK, donate, and most of all CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #39
mikeyt
I have been checking the new website for the show and I still see that the vendor listing is still not current. I contacted two of the vendors looking for specific animals and they have told me that they have not signed up for the show. How am I to know who is gonna be there if the list isnt right? The show is only 4 weeks away, it should be updated.

just a suggestion

Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #40
Jeff Linkchorst
finally This is over due. Hamburg field house is a dump!!!!! I can't wait.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!