New Pennsylvania Super Shows! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #41
DanRC30
It's nearly impossible to keep 100% up to date on the vendors list... especially with the change in location. We're doing our best.

Don't forget to go to www.EastCoastReptileSuperExpos.com and sign up on our facebook page by clicking on the link. Tell all of your friends about it and spread the word!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #42
TripleMoonsExotic
Why exactly is it nearly impossible to provide a more accurate list for 2010? I could take a list like that and have it organized and updated on a site in 15-30 minutes depending on its size. The first show is what, 4 weeks away?

Either way, I'm looking forward to the show. It'll be the first show I've gone to since the original Carlisle promoter canceled her show. Hopefully I can schedule my workload to have a day off that weekend.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #43
DanRC30
Simply put, Marty is in charge of the show and all dealings with it. He also has his primary business to run and I'm sure he'd like a minute or two to maybe sit down and have a meal every now and then or have a few minutes of free time. In other words, he's very busy. It's all about what's a priority and the vendor list takes a back seat when it comes to actually running the show and other business dealings. If you've never organized an event of this size before, then you can't understand. It takes time to go through all of the vendors to see who's coming and who's not. If keeping the up to date list accurate on a daily basis was the only thing he had to do, then it would be simple. He also doesn't want to overburden me with daily changes as I have other business to attend to as well. Not to mention that a few vendors sign up, then they can't make it, then they sign up again, and then they have a conflict, and then they settled that conflict and can go again and so on and so forth... sometimes it happens just like that. You'd be amazed at what can happen as we get closer to the final date.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #44
mikeyt
I am all for this new show and cant wait for it to get here, totally excited, and I hope that all hamburg vendors take a good long look at what these new venues could mean for them in the long run, and what they could offer in the future when the economy does turn around. I mean, you cant change the economy, and it doesnt matter whether you bring in 500 or 5000 people thru the door you cant make them buy. It is what it is. But if nothing else it could be a much less stressful event setting up and a much more enjoyable venue for both vendor and buyers alike. Hamburg vendors have been doing Mart'ys shows for years, it is only moving to a nicer location.

Now to address the updated vendor list. Dan, I understand what you are saying, but at the same time this is a new show venue, that will not only be competing with Hamburg, but will also be dependent upon many of those vendors to make it work. I am sure that Marty is well aware of what it takes to run and promote a show, and the time involved in making it work. At a time when you need to be convincing vendors and buyers alike that your show is the best around, I am sure that neither want to hear about anything taking a backseat. The vendor list is just as important as other aspects of the show.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #45
DanRC30
Mike,
The vendors most certainly do not take a backseat whatsoever, nor does the list when it comes to adding attendees to the list. Let me be clear... When a vendor signs up for the show, they are added to the list very quickly. It's the vendor's name REMOVAL part is what will take a back seat because some end up signing up late and Marty knows which one's typically wait and which ones are early. Here's an example: about a week or so ago Marty asked me to remove several names from the list due to dead links or whatever. The very next day, several new signups came in and one of those was a signup from one of the vendor's I just deleted the day before! So, it's a bit of a balancing act. The only way to keep an absolutely accurate list would be to delete all of the vendors after each show and then add them as they sign up. This will not make the vendors happy and it will also create a lot of work when most of the vendors sign up for every show anyway... and many sign up at the last minute, which makes running things even more difficult. Maybe one day we'll have to delete all vendors after each show and add them as they sign up... who knows.

As this show progresses throughout the year, the vendor's list will settle down again and be very accurate because the majority of the same vendors will attend the show every time. And once they see how nice these new venues are, they'll want to sign up early to get "prime" real estate!

I'm glad you're looking forward to the show... I am too. The best parts for me are more room, and the air conditioning. (Clean bathrooms are a bonus too.)

Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #46
MikeCurtin
Hey, Dan...about the air conditioning, what kind of climate control is planned for the winter shows? Should vendors bring heat for their animals, or will it be heated as well?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #47
DanRC30
The convention center's all have climate control systems which are tailored to the comfort of humans. This means heat and A/C controls depending ont he current climate conditions. Most vendors bring supplemental heat for their herps at the shows anyway, so I would suggest doing that as well depending on what you have.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #48
mikeyt
Who said the Hamburg fieldhouse is a dump? Oh, Jeff.

I cant believe you dont like standing in line for 2 hours plus in the heat, rain, freezing cold, and snow to finally get inside and be cramped, bumped and pushed all over the place like a rampid pinball machine gone wild, in the abundantly spacious aisleways, all while trying to view whats on a table.

And lets not forget those summer shows where it is 90 degrees outside, and 120 degrees inside with the heat running. But you're safe, they do offer a wading pool for those who wish to cool down, oh no, thats the bathroom. LOL.

I cant believe you want to leave all that behind ! LOL, LOL

Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #49
Goombas Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRC30 View Post
Mike,
The vendors most certainly do not take a backseat whatsoever, nor does the list when it comes to adding attendees to the list. Let me be clear... When a vendor signs up for the show, they are added to the list very quickly. It's the vendor's name REMOVAL part is what will take a back seat because some end up signing up late and Marty knows which one's typically wait and which ones are early. Here's an example: about a week or so ago Marty asked me to remove several names from the list due to dead links or whatever. The very next day, several new signups came in and one of those was a signup from one of the vendor's I just deleted the day before! So, it's a bit of a balancing act. The only way to keep an absolutely accurate list would be to delete all of the vendors after each show and then add them as they sign up. This will not make the vendors happy and it will also create a lot of work when most of the vendors sign up for every show anyway... and many sign up at the last minute, which makes running things even more difficult. Maybe one day we'll have to delete all vendors after each show and add them as they sign up... who knows.

As this show progresses throughout the year, the vendor's list will settle down again and be very accurate because the majority of the same vendors will attend the show every time. And once they see how nice these new venues are, they'll want to sign up early to get "prime" real estate!

I'm glad you're looking forward to the show... I am too. The best parts for me are more room, and the air conditioning. (Clean bathrooms are a bonus too.)

I'm a bit confused so please bear with me. I have been trying to get a table at the last few shows but no matter when I inquire, they all seem to be taken up. Even the website usually always says there are no spaces available. If I read this post correctly, there are spots held for vendors that "normally" rent spaces but might not have necessarily signed up yet so they remain on the vendor list? Also, I have noticed a few times that there are vendors at the shows that are not on the list. Are they last minute additions? How would somebody be able to be notified if there were spaces available last minute? With all the new venues, I would really like to get in at some point.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #50
dragonlvr64
If you are interested, contact Marty. I am sure there is room for the Jan 16th show!

Greater Reading Expo Center
Reading PA
January 16, 2010

http://www.northernberksreptileshow.com/index.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!