When is your snake considered "empty" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
mgoblue347
When is your snake considered "empty"

I was wondering after feeding your bp how many days after would their weights be indicative of what they actually weight? Would you wait until they have dedicated, or is there something else you go by?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Focal
The closest I can come to being "empty" is right after a shed when they dump everything or if they have been off feed for more than a month. I don't think you can get an accurate empty weight if the snake is eating more often than every two weeks, just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
MrBig
I take my weights before feeding, regardless of defecation. The last meal has been digested and it gives me a set time to weigh them. I agree that you will rarely get a true empty weight on a snake eating regularly.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
AGoodwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
I take my weights before feeding, regardless of defecation. The last meal has been digested and it gives me a set time to weigh them. I agree that you will rarely get a true empty weight on a snake eating regularly.
Likewise, I try to weigh just before feeding. I realize it may not be entirely accurate, but by keeping it consistent, I can at least get a feel for overall weight gain. If the snake has is not eating, I still try to weigh regularly to keep track of potential weight loss. I am not currently breeding, and therefore my weights are only for measure of health and growth, and do not need to be play a part of determining monetary value.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
stevek123
I agree with Focal, on getting the best wts after they shed and feticate too. It's a good low wt balance. Personally, wts during off feed to me are more like "fasting" and really are lower than average empty wts. But that's just my take on it.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
R. Eventide
If you really want to get an accurate "empty" weight, then right after shedding/defecating is the best way to go. Having just shed means they probably haven't eaten recently, and they don't have any extra poop weight.

But if you just want to get an accurate account of how the snake's growing, then do like Amanda says and be consistent as to when you weigh them. I weigh mine about once a month, and since I feed weekly, I try to weigh them the night before feeding day so they've had time to digest the last week's meal as much as possible before the next one.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
mgoblue347
Thank you all for the insight

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!