Greater Nashville Reptile Show?!?! Warning / Potential problems. - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #81
DAND
Damn, the place was packed.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #82
Sherry Howell
Yeah, it was so packed it was hard to fight your way through the crowd. It was that way all Saturday and all Sunday.

Thanks for the words, Michael. We just keep getting calls about iguanas. I'm about out of room until I place some. I wish I had a bigger house.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #83
audrypayne
I can't afford any more iguanas. Mine will easily clean out their jumbo food bowls several times a day. I'm seriously considering getting another fridge. Mine stays so packed with mustard greens, collared greens, turnip greens, fruits, squashes, and carrots that I don't have much room for the household groceries.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #84
EbayReptiles
Man, what a fun show! I loved meeting the other three or so venders there. This was the first show i have ever attended where it was alright to leave you booth, unsupervised, for hours on end! Theft not an issue, considering there were more people working the booths than customers. Oh, and about kelly (I choose not to capitolize that) and that whole counting money thing...I wonder how much was really made ... supposedly Roark's paycheck bounced about as high as thier expectations for the show. oh.....and lies, according to Premium Cricket, who hosted thier website, there were not 6000 tickets pre-sold, but 2 (not 2,000 or 200...but 2[two])! I called the shiesters a week before the show, where they said that 8 or so tables where still availabls, the rest taken by a total of 39 vendors, but they were still waiting on people from Memphis to claim the rest. I also recieved a call the day prior to ther show...kelly wanted to try to borrow $1570 for insurance on the building, which she claimed to pay back! What do they think, we're smokin' crack? Wow, that seems sooooo professional! I bet the show operated without any insurance the whole weekend, too bad one of those heathen kids running around with out shirts or shoes didn't fall and hurt themselves. I would have laughed if e2a had to go to court for something like that. I don't know of any vendors that even so much as broke even! I have been to bad shows, but never one played up like this!!!! The only plus side is that there was plently probe set K Y to relieve the fact that we were all getting screwed!!

www.ebayfish.com

Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #85
rujonesin
I think the kids you are referring to were theirs. It was really heartbreaking to see their baby crying from lack of attention and watching one go an entire day without a diaper change. It was pretty easy to tell as that was all it was wearing. I really feel for the kids. I have to admit it was pretty funny watching them catch crickets and throw them on people as they walked by.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:43 AM   #86
HISSREPTILES
Ok i have sat back long enough without saying a word! My name is DENNIS MOORE owner of "HISS REPTILES" and "THE LAND OF ODDZ" I have had business dealings with TROY and KELLY since SEPT 04 which left a verry bad taste in my mouth not to mention a hole in my pocket and damaged reputation! I moved my store location next door to them in Smyrna in NOVEMBER 04. They seemed like nice people trying to get a small business off the ground and i thought i could help them as well as myself by relieving my wholesale reptile inventory from my "hippy gift shop" I tried to teach troy as much as i could and was appaulled at the fact that he was telling every body he owned half of my store and we were partners NOT TRUE! Not to mention he is also using my dads business name "SNAKES ALIVE SHOWS" troy and kelly ripped off many "consignment" animals from customers,reptile auction,and many other people. They used their store to stock inventory promising to sell animals for people and not paying them! as for the children they lived for the most part in the pet shop.baby under the counter with a filthy bottle and diaper crying for attention the store was a mess also i recieved many complaints from customers about the condition of the children and animals they hired help to try and keep things clean but everybody wound up being a babysitter! we verbally had our differences in march 05 the pet shop had been closed due to kelly having another baby! animals were left locked inside! the landlord would not let anyone in! the electricity was shut off the fish died the freezer thawed and stunk the place to high heaven! needless to say my store wasnt doing so hot [location sucked also] I closed down! I tried for some time to get the smyrna expo to have a reptile show i do educational programs but Richard at the expo had some reservations about it! I was dumbfounded to hear troy and kelly pulled it off i recieved an ivitation via email to headline a reptile program there! I guess his way of smoothing things out i didnt believe it was going to happen anyway {another scam} needless to say i did not answer. some weeks go by and i hear more about THE SHOW i checked into it and found it true! i was mad at myself for not getting in on it! my wife told me i would be making a mistake trusting them again she was right! I am deeply sorry for all of you who got scamed i wish i could have been of some help to all at least giving a heads up on them but i really believed they had turned around again for what its worth im sorry.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 AM   #87
HISSREPTILES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old dog old tricks
Wow, some things don't change I am from near Troy's home town in California. I hate to admit it, but we were friends years ago, before I really got to know him. I actually stumbled upon this thread as I was "googling him" to see what he was doing as i heard a rumor that he had a recording contract with a country music recording studio out there in TN. I would like to say I'm surprised by this, but that statement would be as false as the things he reportedly stated about the show. Saw the web site too as well as a write up in the Tennessean.com
Link

BTW if ya need a pic there is one there of both of them. I have never met Kellie nor do I have anything to say about her as I believe statemets of character need to be made based on personal experience. However, I could go on for hours about TW. Perhaps it's best that I don't as it appears all you good people have plenty of your own to reflect on.. I regret that I didn't do the search earlier. I might have been able to save some of you the trouble that was caused, or at least made you all more informed about his history. I really had hopes that this time he had turned things around. He's a very personable guy, and was quite successful in things that he didn't hork up with his (I'm sure now patented form of) BS. Sadly, it was a rare occasion indeed, when his BS didn't get in the way.

Well I guess its safe to say that this is still his best move.
troy also told me he was LAPD and an agent for home land security i also feel sorry for his dad larry i am sure he is getting the brunt of it due to the fact his kung fu studio is still in town troy and kelly and their homeless friends have taken over his house!

Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #88
audrypayne
I have a friend that took lots of pictures of the show. I have requested a copy of these. I'll post them as soon as I receive them.
Cricket

Old 07-08-2005, 10:17 AM   #89
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
Here's some of the info requested but I'm not giving you names. You'll have to actually read the thread to find out that info because if you had actually read the thread you would not agree with paying thieves and liars.

Strange you used the words "freely admitted" when that's the exact wording another person used when they said they didn't pay for their table.

Fortunately, I refused to pay in advance and then stopped payment on the check I wrote Saturday. I am freely admitting that I did this here, because I have plenty of witnesses that this event was a scam from the beginning and they were basically trying to rob us.
Are you a journalist Karen. Your selective use and careful editing of quotes would seem to indicate that you are.

I am not sure how to include multiple quotes in a reply so I will cut and paste the ENTIRE paragraph that Karen is refering to above.

"Fortunately, I refused to pay in advance and then stopped payment on the check I wrote Saturday after my "encounter" with them and my departure. I am freely admitting that I did this here, because I have plenty of witnesses that this event was a scam from the beginning and they were basically trying to rob us. I later sent them an email telling them I would remove the hold on the check because I made a deal in good faith and am a man of my word, but I think y'all will forgive me for going back on it in this case - I sure don't feel guilty. Once I realized the extent to which they had premeditated the scam I made sure I had no role in lining their pockets (other than the admission of a dozen or so attendees who came specifically to buy from me)."

it was this line:

"I later sent them an email telling them I would remove the hold on the check because I made a deal in good faith and am a man of my word"

that indicated to me that the poster had indeed paid for the table. Of course, the following line would seem to indicate that he had in fact not released the hold and thus in fact did not pay for the table but since it was unclear to me I did not include him in my original post.

"but I think y'all will forgive me for going back on it in this case - I sure don't feel guilty. Once I realized the extent to which they had premeditated the scam I made sure I had no role in lining their pockets"

You could probably make any speech appear to be saying the opposite using selective quotations and deletions. Making sure you have the entire quote is important in conveying a complete thought or comment

[/quote]It has been noted that they left Sunday way early so in theory there could still be people who didn't pay just because they didn't have a chance before the crooks left.

I started packing up at 2:00 Sunday, and they were already gone. As for the other post above concerning boasnkc, it's hard to pay for your tables if the promoters have already left.[/quote]

Its hard to pay when the people your supposed to pay are not around. I hardly think this is an admission of intentionally not paying for a table. For these people It is important to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that had intentions of paying.

This will be my last post in this thread. It is pretty clear that kellie and troy are worthless pieces of crap. I guess there are two ways to look at it, "paying thieves and liars" as Karen likes to refer to it which I never said I agreed with, or honoring your commitments up to the point where you know you are being taken advantage of (or possibly even past that point as some apparently have done.) I too would have been upset with the way the situation presented itself. I can not say that I would have followed up on my entire commitment and returned for the Sunday portion of the show the way that Sherry did (thats a business ethic that I do respect Sherry) although in retrospect you are probably wondering if you did the right thing, but I certainly would have paid for my table on Saturday. The time to walk away from a bad situation is as soon as you realize it is happening.

Steve

Old 07-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #90
audrypayne
Most people(including myself), stayed mostly because we had already paid for at least two nights in a hotel. K&T kept promising things were going to get better. I only stayed to give it an honest chance. None of us wanted to waste our time & money doing a worthless show, but we did want to at least make back our expenses.
If nothing else, I had a great time with my friends, and made a lot of new friends in the process. We goofed off & messed around with other vendors, trying to make the best of a horrible situation. Like we have all stated earlier, nothing else to do since no buyers were in the building. I guess we should have the next vendor get-together at my house. No table charge & no admission cost. You won't even have to stress your animals with packing them up.
Cricket

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread