How do you check your incubater - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you montior your eggs incubating temp?
I check only the incubators ambient temp 11 40.74%
I check only the eggs ambient temp 5 18.52%
I check both the eggs ambient temp and the incubators ambient temp 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Xavier
How do you check your incubater

I'm curious to know how everyone is checking thier incubators temp, I found out last year that the ambient temp of my incubators was nearly always 1-2 degrees but at times as high as 3-4 degrees above that of the temp for the substrate that of the egg containers. My egg containers have lids with 4 very small whole in each lid (1/32nd - 1/16th of an inch). So ever since finding this out I've keep my incubators at 2 degrees above what I want my eggs to be incubating at. So how do you check your eggs incubating temp?

Old 04-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
groovygeckos
Thanks for posting this. I have actually just went by what the thermo inside the `bator says. Makes sense though.

I have thought of making a 'dummy' egg container, to put the probe in. Then I can always see what the temps are inside one, without opening to check.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
BalloonzForU
I started checking both at the end of last year, just to see the difference. I now keep a deli cup with moist vermiculite with a thermometer inside it, in the incubator.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Gregg M
I check both out Xavier..... There is usually a 1 to 2 degree difference from the egg container to the incubator..... The incubator temp is higher..... It might depend on the type of thermostat you are using..... If you are using a thermostat that shuts down instead of gradualy lowering the temp there may be a small temp spike in the incubator temp but not much change in the egg container because it is enclosed....

Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
I have thought of making a 'dummy' egg container, to put the probe in.
That's how I do it... and also have a mercury thermometer taped right next to the probe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!