question regarding feeding pinkies to leos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
techgirl
question regarding feeding pinkies to leos

is there any wt range on feeding pinks to leos? has any of yours just not wanted to eat them? how long do you leave them in before you take them out? do you still need to dust them? anything else i should know?
does anyone know if this applies to beardies as well. thanks for your help. i'm debating whether i should give them one as a treat or just hold off.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
cornsnakekid92
Mine got one!

My breeder got one today! once she say it twitch it was done for. It took about 5 seconds for mine to notice it but i put it rite in front of her. i had not dust one it.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
PaulSage
Jessica, some of mine will eat them, others won't. I don't offer them to the geckos that are under 40-45 grams or so though. It might be okay, but I primarily use the pinkies for the leos that are breeding. One of my breeder males doesn't want anything to do with insects when he's in with a female, but he can't pass up a pinky mouse!

With the dragons, I'll give a pinky to pretty much any dragon over 75 grams. Recently I switched to giving the dragons frozen-thawed pinkies only off the end of tongs, and that seems to be going well. They make less mess than the live ones when they eat them.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
perefalcon
Aaliyah likes pinkies, she takes a while to bother with it, but once she bites and it squeaks it's gone, it was interesting to see her take it though

Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Gregg M
I still feel that if you vary your leos diet and properly supplement them, there is no need to ever feed pinkies.... There was only one or two times I have ever fed a pinkie to any of my leos.... They are really not "set up" to feed on mammalian prey.... Some of the parts may be too harsh and difficult to digest..... This is just my preference though.....

Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
nydrgnldy
Gregg, That is also my opinion. I have never fed pinkies to any of my lizards.Not beardies or leos. I don't feel they need it. As you said if they are given both a varied diet and supplemented well they really don't need it.I think they are just t difficult to digest. The bone in the sku;; of even a pinkie is very difficult for them to break down and digest.
Robin

Old 04-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
brandy101010
I have tried feeding pinkies to all of my geckos of age a few different times and none of them show any interest in them at all. I don't think it is needed but I don't think it would hurt them as a once in awhile thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!