More input wanted... - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #41
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrypayne
Eric, for the name of the SC promoter, check your p.m. I do not wish to make his name public.
Curious as to why you don't want to inform people of what show and who promotes it. Don't you think everyone should know so they can decide for themselves ?

If it was Tony, there would have no hesitation at all.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #42
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric adrignola
Add me to that list - I had thought he was running it as well. I knew the
upper works was involved, but I thought Roark was the promoter.
Thats the ONLY reason I took a chance on a that show.
IMHO - I think that was their plan.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #43
audrypayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
Curious as to why you don't want to inform people of what show and who promotes it. Don't you think everyone should know so they can decide for themselves ?

UpperWorks Marketing is owned by Marie Constitinou. She is married to John's brother Robert. I was not going to name names because he is not the only one that does it. However, most promoters do have healthier looking animals than him. I like John. I really do. But he needs to get his priorities straight.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #44
audrypayne
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
And no, if it were Tony then I wouldn't have hesitated. Tony lied to everyone, falsely advertised, and was just down-right dishonest on all aspects of show promoting.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #45
MohrSnakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I have had people say to me "so and so has it cheaper" and I reply "well, I breed these and guarantee these are eating and healthy but feel free to purchase from them if you would like."
I get the same thing and repeat almost the same thing.

As far as the promoter selling animals, it does not bother me much as long as the animals are HEALTHY. Besides, a promoter that constantly undercuts other vendors and takes the prime location is not going to attract that many future vendors and it will become increasingly more difficult to put on a show by relying on only their own table fees!

Disclaimer: The above statement is not targeting any specific promoter. In fact, I did not even vend at the SC show that is in question. My comments are merely general comments in regards to ALL shows as the original question dictates.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #46
DAND
Let's keep this thread on subject please.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #47
john 5
I would like to apologize to everyone for the placement of my tables. That was not the plan, my tables were set to be put in the back of the room, but had to be changed at the last minute. I had that space put aside for a prominate vender who was unable to come at the last minute. (family emergency) And it was easier for me to just put our business there and take the heat from my wife, than change the entire floor plan. This was a mistake and will never happen again. When I was promoting I was working as an employee of UpperWorks and when I am vendor I am working as an employee of Mr. John's Farm.

About dropping prices you are wrong, I checked prices to make sure we were not undercutting anyone. We sell wholesale to some of the venders there and did not want to hurt them by selling too low. I even contacted some venders to see what they were charging for certain stuff so we did not hurt them with lower prices. If we hurt anyone with low prices we are sorry, we did not price anything low to hurt anyone. If we were lower it is because we paid less for the animals.

About any bad animals. I did break a rule I have - not to buy imported animals right before a show. I was so busy the week before, I felt like we did not have enough for show- so I ordered a shipment to come in that Friday night. I should never of done that. I always hand-pick imported animals if I need some. I should have looked at them better Sat morning and gotten them off the table. That will never happen again. Any show in the future I help promote I will have my wife complete her business duties by letting her handle the business of animals being sold as the vendor. Some confusion on the roles that weekend - apologies from both of us.

About the issue over electric with HomeGrown-
I was upset that Jim would not let Dale Mitchell use the same outlet because he does not like him. Letting Dale Mitchell plug into the same outlet would not have hurt him. Jim told me he did not like Dale because of his pricing, but if I gave him 1/2 of his elec cost back he would let him. I felt this was petty and said so. I got Dale elec from somewhere else and we still offered the refund for the elec to Home Grown.

Marie takes these issues very serious and will do her best to make sure I do my best not to repeat these mistakes.

I do have a request, please if anyone sees that I have an animal on my table that I should not, please let me know asap.

And yes if I was Tony my name would have been out there right away and that is wrong. When I read this thread I did feel like I was thrown under the bus by a couple of my friends and I wish that they would have called me about these issues earlier (its May almost June show was in March).

Either way I would anwser them the same and do the best to fix them. I hold no ill will against anyone. And enjoy vending with each and every one of you.

I really do not like selling at shows when I am part of the promoting team. Our business was set up for us to be vendors and my wife and children are continuing that. Until the shows really do well I do need to sell. And if you feel my prices are too low please feel free to question me. I can tell you this my prices are lower when I do other promoters shows.

I encourage feedback on promoting issues. The teams Marie and my wife have set up are working extremely hard to ensure that all vendors are happy with all aspects of shows and all vendors are happy with their own sales at the end of the weekend.
Jodi and John

Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #48
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by john 5
About the issue over electric with HomeGrown-
I was upset that Jim would not let Dale Mitchell use the same outlet because he does not like him. Letting Dale Mitchell plug into the same outlet would not have hurt him. Jim told me he did not like Dale because of his pricing, but if I gave him 1/2 of his elec cost back he would let him. I felt this was petty and said so. I got Dale elec from somewhere else and we still offered the refund for the elec to Home Grown.
Jodi and John
How easily you forget.
I never said a word about his prices, It really doesn't matter what they were.
We don't sell the same stuff. He sells mostly imports and wild caught.
You cant even compare his stuff with mine, I sell quality CB animals not garbage.

As far as the electric goes, I let just about everyone around that weekend share either my electric or my cords or power strips. And I don't appreciate it when I come back to my table and theres some plugged into my power w/o the courtesy of asking first. Not to mention the hazard of the cord stretched out across the floor.

Don't twist your mistakes around on me. If you set the table layout right none of that would have happened.

And you didn't offer half the money back for the electric , your brother did. At least he had the decency to offer it, I refused it.
you don't need to come down on me because I choose not to share my electric with him or anyone else. Maybe if you did it properly I would have said go ahead. But to just plug in w/o asking me first...screw that.
and then to top it off you cop an attitude about it, argue w/ me and tell me its nonsense.

I even helped you people set up the power cords Friday night because they were left hanging in the isle where the customers could have walked right into them.

Get your facts straight before you start making comments about me.

Heres something the promoters can do to help better the shows...make sure the vender's body oder is not so offensive that customers complain.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #49
john 5
To correct a mis-statement I misunderstood the problem with HomeGrown and Dale Mitchell, I stand corrected and apologize for any misgivings. In the future I will check my facts before I post.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #50
homegrownherps
Sorry for being off topic .... But I had to defend myself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!