More input wanted... - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #61
norsmis
I have seen and gained from this too. I like to stay until the sometimes bitter end. I have seen people pay to come in the show 10 minutes before it closed and those people usually know what they are looking for and if you have it, you just made a sell.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #62
homegrownherps
I have never left a show early with the exception of the Daytona show when Hurricane Charley destroyed my home, neighborhood, shoot - the whole county.

I have over heard people talking when they see vendors packing up early. They were under the impression the show was closing, which cause them to make a purchase in a hurry.
Al thought some might gain from other vendors packing up early and heading out. It shouldn't be done.
I would prefer a full looking show than make a few more bucks. And if i were on the other side of the table a noticed the show was closing around me, I wouldn't like it at all. Hell, I'm a vendor and would rather they stuck it out.
I thought most of weren't in this for "the money".

when you vend at a shows its like a contract, leaving early is in fact breaking that contract.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:29 AM   #63
norsmis
Don't get me wrong Jim, I agree with you. I hate it when vendors shut down early. I have sat at shows with 1 or 2 snakes left on my table. I see it as advertising as I always put business cards out on my table and even if I don't make any money, I am getting my name and face out there. Besides, I am happy with just making enough money to cover my expenses as I usually end up buying as much as I sell! I usually end up just shooting the breeze with the vendors around me or people that stop by in a situation like that which I love to do.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #64
DAND
I too agree Jim, leaving early is just wrong. I've had promoters come up to me and thank me for not leaving early. They notice I'm one of the last to leave. I've done shows where one month I do well and the following month I sit there and play 411 but sell nothing and I'm still one of the last to leave.

I've watched shows go under and if you don't have any customers or vendors you don't have a show. If one or both are not happy there is a good chance it will spread to others they know and then the participation drops. Without the participation there is no show.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #65
audrypayne
Exactly. When people pay money to get through the door at a reptile show, there should definitely be enough vendors there to make it worth the trip. I heard a lot of people complaining at the Greenville show last year because it just wasn't worth the time, gas, or money for them to come. $12 to get in & nothing to see. I'll admit that I left one hour early yesterday. But the general public were all allowed free admission later in the afternoon. At least some promoters have the decency not to charge people after some of the vendors have left. And from my own personal opinion, yes people will buy more from you if there is little left to choose from, but then they just settle for something instead of getting what they really wanted. I'd prefer for people to buy exactly what they want. The animal will receive much better care from the new owner.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #66
KathyLove
I have never left early, BUT - I sure have been tempted to! The last 2 or 3 hours on Sunday of a 2 day show are always REALLY slow for us. I rarely make more than a sale or two at that time (many times no sale at all the last couple of hours), and even Daytona is slow after 3 p.m. on Sunday, unless you are interested in big markdowns for bargain hunters, which I am not.

Knowing this, why can't promoters close early on Sunday, at least by 4 p.m., maybe earlier for a smaller show? A few promoters have done this, and many non-reptile shows and expos close at 4 pm on Sunday. Unless it is a really small show, most vendors come from out of town and have a long drive home. I doubt any sales would be lost - the bargain hunters would just start looking an hour or two earlier.

If the show closed earlier on the 2nd day, I would hope that fewer vendors would feel the need to clear out early. If they are leaving because of too much congestion at closing time, maybe the promoter could think of a way to ease that problem, possibly having volunteer help with dollies to move people out quickly.

In order to promote staying until the end. maybe it would be worthwhile for the promoter to send somebody around to the vendors during the last half hour of the show with some $25 off coupons for the next show table rents, or some other small inducement. It could be coupled with a $25 penalty on table rent at the next show if you didn't stay - if that would be worth the paperwork of keeping track of it. And if the promoter is not having any problems keeping their tables filled as it is.

Just a few ideas that may or may not work at various shows.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #67
audrypayne
Penalty for leaving early & reward for staying. That's a good idea, Kathy. However, for some of the large companies that vend, the $50 wouldn't make much of a difference to them. For someone like me, $50 is a lot of money.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #68
KathyLove
True, it is not a lot to some. but when added to an earlier closing time, maybe it would be enough to convince most vendors that it is important to stay.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #69
homegrownherps
I have been tempted to start packing up an hour or two early myself. But never have. I don't think its fair to customers, and I don't think its fair towards the vender's that stay. I especially hate when the vender's nearest me pack up and leave. Makes it look so empty.

As for a reward ?????
I don't think their should be a reward for something they are supposed to be doing in the first place. When you agree to vend at a show the hours are no secret.
There should be a penalty for those that do not abide by the rules though.

And I believe one show promoter states that packing up early will get them banned from one show. But I never seen it enforced.

I agree that day two of a weekend show show end earlier. Sunday after 1:00 is usually very slow.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #70
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrypayne
Penalty for leaving early & reward for staying. That's a good idea, Kathy. However, for some of the large companies that vend, the $50 wouldn't make much of a difference to them. For someone like me, $50 is a lot of money.

I may be wrong , but I see more of the smaller vender's packing up and leaving early.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!