Would you attend a yearly herp show in Minneapolis? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

View Poll Results: Would you like a yearly herp show in MN?
Yes, I would like to see a yearly show in Minneapolis or Saint Paul 18 85.71%
I'm willing to pay a reasonable priced ticket to attend 13 61.90%
I usually spend in excess of $100 yearly in herp related purchases. 14 66.67%
If possible I would like to see this happen before the end of the year. 9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #21
ms_ramie22
Um, yeah Cathy, when you live in a town of 400 people, Minneapolis can be quite scary!!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #22
The BoidSmith
It would be nice if we did it as a joint effort of the Fauna members; it would be a nice get-together. I'm not shooting for a Daytona-type show, but in all honesty I don't see why we can't have one of the caliber of Tinley ParK. We can have the folks from MN, SD, NE, IA, and WI there. I agree with the concept of having it in the "outskirts" of Minneapolis. That's why I think that HW 494 (by the Mall of America) is a good spot, because of the easy access and the amenities around it.

Regards.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #23
kare
There are many larger hotels with convention centers near the Mall of
America. There is no way I could see getting things completed for this year. But if we can, we should start making a plan for next year. Before any hotels are contacted we need an idea of date and time of show, what amenities we will need, etc.

The Twin Cities are pretty easy to get around. Minneapolis is the west side, St. Paul the east. My ex father-in-law told it this way: " Think of the Twin Cities as a large football. 694 is the top side of the ball from point to point, 494 the bottom side and I94 is the lacing in the middle. You'll always run into one of those 3."

Old 10-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #24
The BoidSmith
Cathy,

I forgot to answer your question. No, I never heard of the one in Mankato, if not I would have gone for sure.

Kare, I don't have a problem with October 07' as was proposed. I would like to see it happen before then, but I recognize it would be difficult.

Regards,

Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #25
Cat_72
I think it would be a great idea to try to get a show going near Minneapolis, and I agree that the outskirts or 'burbs would definitely be the way to go. A gathering of Fauna folk would be a fun plus as well! Like I said, count me in for anything I can do....

Perhaps we could even try for spring of 07?

We blabbered on about the Mankato show for quite awhile before it happened, Dan....sorry you didn't hear about it. Last I heard, they were going to try to do another in the spring as well.

And well Kare....a giant football is fine, but when you are looking for something somewhere in the middle of that football, and just keep bouncing off the sides, it doesn't help people like me much, lmao.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #26
Bill & Amy
Daytona is usually mid month in August correct? How about the end of August? I think most the other shows start in September. Plus that would give people time to hatch out etc.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #27
The BoidSmith
That's a very good idea Bill. Besides it would give us the opportunity to advertise the MN show in Daytona.

Regards

Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #28
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
That's a very good idea Bill. Besides it would give us the opportunity to advertise the MN show in Daytona.

Regards
My mom always said my head was good for more than just a hat rack!!! Well, sometimes anyways.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #29
The BoidSmith
As long as we are bouncing idea back and forth, should we make it a "strictly herp" show? What if we went for something inclusive of everything exotic? Would that attract a greater audience and potential new clients. Has it been done before? If it was me I would really like to see other species there as well. But maybe some vendors might consider it a "distraction" and a source of competition.

Regards.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #30
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
As long as we are bouncing idea back and forth, should we make it a "strictly herp" show? What if we went for something inclusive of everything exotic? Would that attract a greater audience and potential new clients. Has it been done before? If it was me I would really like to see other species there as well. But maybe some vendors might consider it a "distraction" and a source of competition.

Regards.
Exotic pet show would bring in even more of a customer base. The only thing that I would found out about is anything that may be illegal in the Minnesota/Twin Cities (I think I would not have venomous). Otherwise the show last year also had tarantulas if I rememeber correctly. We will really have to look into several spaces in the area for size and requirements, the spot the show was held last year might be a little small unless they have larger rooms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!