Would you attend a yearly herp show in Minneapolis? - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

View Poll Results: Would you like a yearly herp show in MN?
Yes, I would like to see a yearly show in Minneapolis or Saint Paul 18 85.71%
I'm willing to pay a reasonable priced ticket to attend 13 61.90%
I usually spend in excess of $100 yearly in herp related purchases. 14 66.67%
If possible I would like to see this happen before the end of the year. 9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #71
Monte
It's my opinion that if you are going to have a successful show - it had better be in or near the Twin Cities - just off a major highway - like the 494/94 area.

You want traffic - in order to attract the vendors....

Old 11-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #72
Otter_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte
It's my opinion that if you are going to have a successful show - it had better be in or near the Twin Cities - just off a major highway - like the 494/94 area.

You want traffic - in order to attract the vendors....
In that case then I am in the same boat as Dan and Cat being that I am 2 and half hours from the cities. I may still poke around up here and in St. Cloud (good colllege town) and see what I can find out.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #73
Monte
Yeah - St. Cloud could work - lots of herpers up there as I recall. I also think we could get a couple larger herpers who won't show in the cities because it would cross over to some of their pet store clients.

But what do I know - you guys are more into the shows than I am...

Old 11-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #74
The BoidSmith
Call me crazy if you will, but to me the Twin Cities deserves a two-day event. Location: Roseville area in any of the hotels close to HW 36 and HW 35.

Why?

1. Easy access.
2. Dates: Saturday and Sunday September 1st and 2nd, 2007.
3. Reason: Minnesota State Fair 10 minutes away. Total attendance in 2006: 1,680,579 people.

By no means I'm suggesting competition with that event but just piggyback in that huge audience (families, teens, children). The fair starts the previous weekend we have one whole week to advertise in that event for the local folks. Can anyone imagine if only 0.1% of those that attend the State Fair decide out of curiosity to visit the reptile show?

Regards.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:39 PM   #75
Otter_23
That could work the only thing is how many people that go to fair would have enough energy to go to the show? Although it could be a nice alternative to those that don't want to fight crowds at the fair. During the late spring ot early fall we have enourmous amounts of traffic coming through this area. One of those weekends maybe when Moondance jam is going on or the drag race nationals. You would be surprised at the amount of traffic up here in the summer. Only problem is I believe the nationals is around the second week of august and moondance is second week of July (which wouldn't leave a lot of time for babies). We also have the ice fishing contest up here (largest in the world) which is mid January. Heck you will all have to come up some weekend and check it out.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #76
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte
Yeah - St. Cloud could work - lots of herpers up there as I recall. I also think we could get a couple larger herpers who won't show in the cities because it would cross over to some of their pet store clients.

But what do I know - you guys are more into the shows than I am...
I'm not sure what you mean by "cross over to some of their pet store clients"?

I think we'd be better off staying right in/near the cities as opposed to going out to St. Cloud....there may be many herpers there, but there are also a lot of herpers in the other directions, and keeping it centralized, plus having the already larger population of the cities, would be the best bet. But then, that's JMO.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #77
Monte
That's fine. There are some herpers who won't show because they supply local pet shops in the TC's area, and they don't want to hurt their clients.

That's cool though- it would be fun. I hope we getterdone.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #78
The BoidSmith
Quote:
That could work the only thing is how many people that go to fair would have enough energy to go to the show? Although it could be a nice alternative to those that don't want to fight crowds at the fair.
Yes, I recognize that people come out of the fair exhausted; been there done that . Although knowing me there's no doubt I would have enough energy (or save some) to swing by a reptile show even on the same day. If there's enough enthusiasm (or pressure from part of the family) a family can leave the fair for a couple of hours and then come back. It's really very close as you probably already know.

On the other hand what my thoughts were to capitalize on the State Fair as a means of advertisement. Families that go to the State Fair the previous week might learn from the reptile show there (if we spend enough money in fliers, or static advertisement; which can just be signs outside of the fair!), and then attend the herp show the following weekend. The point is that there will be a lot o people going through those gates that would not learn about it otherwise.

The same goes for someone from out of the cities that decides to come over to the State Fair. If they learn about it ahead of time they might decide to swing by the Reptile Show first and then go to the fair (not likely but not impossible; wouldn't any of you do it?).

What I'm trying to do is use the State Fair to create awareness of the show. It's not always that you have an event of that magnitude that's oftentimes attended by the entire family. If only 500 people of that huge crowd learn about it and decide it's worth to go there another day, then it's a big success. I can figure this conversation in my mind: ..."Dad, mom, look! There's a reptile show going on next weekend in Roseville! Can we please go?!..."

Regards.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:30 AM   #79
Scott Nellis
Talking a date

You want a date...here's a GOOD date and here's why....October 7th, 2007. No shows are planned for that date (in the Midwest). The Omaha show is the weekend before and the NARBC in Chicago the weekend after. Larry's Mankato show is BEFORE the others...if he has one in 2007...it would probably be September 9th, 2007.

October 7th is late enough for vendors to have their 07 hatchlings well established and eating.

A date during the State Fair was discussed earlier...bad idea in my humble opinion for a number of reasons. Yes, you have TONS of people going to the fair....and they are GOING TO THE FAIR...not a reptile show. The second weekend of the fair is Labor day weekend...last chance to go to the cabin, lake, or whatever. The RenFest is ALSO going on those same weekends. That's where you'll find a lot of the MN herp society members...at the RenFest. You want a weekend with NO competition from other events. Sure, advertise the heck out a reptile show at these events (if you're even allowed to)...but have the show afterwards.

A two day show would be nice, but hey...how about we do a one day show on Sunday and see who shows up? Larry had 4 last minute vendor cancelations at the Mankato show this year. Anyone want to sign a contract with a hotel/venue for two days and have a meager turnout...vendors and customers. I know some vendors that would NEVER come back if the show flopped. They'd pack up and leave that Saturday and then what do you tell the few customers on Sunday? Much better to start small and build from there. Do a great one day show so the word gets out and builds momentum for the next year and the next, until there isn't enough room for vendors and customers to move around...then go to a bigger venue and a two day show.

As for vendors not showing for fear of offending their pet store conections...well, yes, they might not show...but then again, they might. It depends on what they have left to sell and what they wholesale to the pet stores. They could have some high end reptiles (or somewhat more difficult to care for) that they wouldn't sell to pet stores that they would sell at a reptile show.

If no one takes the lead, I'll pick up the ball and start doing some serious inquiries around February (when I have some vacation time to DO all the running around and phone calling). I have some connections, I know some vendors personally, I know the people who put on the Des Moines, Omaha, and KC shows and can try to get their advice, and I've vended at those shows on and off for over 7 years. Also, I live in the Twin Cities and know the freeway system VERY well...lol.

Scott Nellis

Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #80
northstarboasandmore
Well if you guys get a show going and I have any babies to sell you guys can count me in as a vendor!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!