So I want to breed my leopards... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Jazeira
Question So I want to breed my leopards...

I have two leopard geckos, a male and a female and I want to breed them.

The problem is that... it's not working.

Perhaps I have a "cold male?"

Jack (my male) is very very laid back and sweet. When introduced to the female he shakes his tail, licks her a little, then nothing... I left Gloopy (female) in his cage all night once and still nothing.

It's getting into winter now, so I probably won't try again until spring, but should I try leaving Gloopy in his cage for an extended period of time next time or do I need to get another male if I really want to breed them?

Maybe Jack prefer to be a bachelor?

Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Stephies_Leos
It's possible that the female is not ready to breed yet. I wouldn't force it. When spring comes around you can try again. Make sure you are prepared for the eggs and hatchlings when they come ! She lays 2 eggs every 2-3 weeks 10 or more times so you will need to be prepared for those babies and have a plan for what you are going to do with them.
Good luck !

Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Jazeira
Thanks. She is two years old though, so she's old enough... I think she's fine. It's the male I think who has problems...

I'm prepared to have the babies though.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Jazeira
Any other thoughts?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
acpart
You're right that it's getting toward winter and breeding season may be over for them. Do you know whether or not the female is ovulating? Mine stop by about August. I have found that some males are anxious to breed and some don't seem to want to. I think your best bet is to separate them till about mid January. When you re-introduce them, leave them together for at least several days if not for longer. I have had a male who never really tried to mate while I was watching but the female did become gravid and the eggs hatched. Maybe they just wanted some privacy. Try to see if the female is ovulating. If she is and nothing happens in a few weeks, separate them again for a week and re-introduce them. This is no guarantee, but it should increase your chances.

Aliza

Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
Jazeira
They are already separated and always have been. Not putting them together again 'til spring. I guess I'll just put them together for a long period when spring sets in.

How do I tell if she is ovulating though?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
acpart
You'll probably find the information including pictures if you search the forum. In general, ovulation looks like 2 whitish pink circles in mid to lower abdomen, sort of like pencil erasers in size and shape. I just freed up space to remove my last male from the females and I don't think he's even tried to do anything about mating since mid-July.

Aliza

Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Jazeira
Ok. Thank you. I'll look into that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!