New Owner with LOTS of questions! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Minimom
Oh, forgot to say that the light fixture is Exoterra brand.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
Minimom
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I posted "changing to sand" before I read the last post from Cat 72 so paper towel is the way we will go now. Wow, so much information to absorb. It really makes me wonder why the pet stores sell things that are harmful to our pets and are so misinformed about so many things.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Cat_72
You are so right, Angel....the vast majority of the pet shops have no clue how to PROPERLY care for herps, but they like the $$$$ that selling all of the accessories they "need" with them. If they would just stock the RIGHT accessories, lol.

Most of the employess at the pet stores are just going by their store-provided training, which usually is sadly lacking or completely incorrect information.

I will say though, it's always refreshing to see a new Beardie owner going to such lengths to make sure they are doing things right for their new critter, kudos to you for being such a responsible owner!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
Minimom
We bought a different light fixture, a 10 UVB long light and a ceramic round light fixture with a basking light, repcal calcium & the repcal herptivite. We will change his cage in a little while and replace the carpet with paper towels and take out the moss. I also bought two more thermometers, the adhesive kind, and a hammock (Alex's idea).

we bought yellow squash and strawberries along with what says is "wild organic greens" on the package so I'll see if I can figure out which ones are NOT lettuce.

Thank you guys so much. After we clean out the cage we'll take pictures of the little fellow!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
Minimom
So, the herpivite and calcium are to dust the crickets with on the times per week you stated above? I didn't realize that this stuff was to dust the crickets and I was wondering how you get it into the lizard.

Also I read that on the squash, I should cook it a little first or is it okay to just chop it up small like I'll do the strawberries?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Great job, in getting everything all taken care of so quickly. I am sorry for all of the trouble. As stated, it is frustrating to go to a petstore & have them sell you stuff you shouldn't use!
The paper towels would be a better choice right now, for sure.
You can just grate or thinly slice the squash raw in fine slices for him & the strawberries can be fed several times a week, no problem.
The calcium & vitamins can be dusted onto the feeders. The calcium should be used 5 times weekly & the vitamins used 1-2 times weekly.
He should be offered feeders 2-3 times per day & offer greens & veggies daily, even if he doesn't eat it right away. Gradually, he will.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #17
Cat_72
Just make sure the strawberries are a small portion of the daily ration, a few bits sprinked on top of the salad. Different beardies all have different preferences, of course, but almost all of mine go completely crazy over strawberries...they also seem to really like the red and yellow bell peppers. Sometimes that bit of brighter color on their salad is enough to entice them into eating their greens (just like adding cheese sauce to get your kids to eat their broccoli I suppose, lol).

Looking forward to seeing pics of the lil guy.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
Minimom
Hey guys, today he lost a portion of his skin, hopefully he is moulting? (sorry, I've had birds in the past and can't remember the correct word to use - LOL) Is this normal for him to do this already? We noticed a small part of his back flaking up today and then in his hammock a pinky finger sized piece. Does this mean he is growing or should I be concerned?

Here is his enclosure:

here is Gizzard (sorry pic quality isn't very good)

My 14-year-old is in love with Gizzard as well so if all goes well with him and we know we are doing everything we need to, I'll probably be purchasing another Dragon soon. The 14-year-old has always wanted a chameleon, anyone have any experience with those?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #19
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Gizzard is a cutie.
The setup looks pretty good, too. The shedding is normal, & it means he is growing so there is no problems there!
Chameleons are pretty difficult to care for as a beginner. They require specialized watering systems, & care. What type were you thinking of?

Tracie

Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #20
Cat_72
Oh my gosh, he is a tiny guy yet!! What a cutie!

One question, where do you have his "basking area" set up in his tank? It looks like the only raised area in there is that small piece of wood in the middle of the tank?

The best way to set up a basking area with the proper temps of 100-110, while still maintaining proper ambient temps, is to have something such as a rock (which will also radiate the heat) raised up closer to the basking light on one end of the tank (the "warm end"), allowing the temps to gradually drop toward the other end (the "cool end"). The basking temp needs to be measured directly on the spot where he will be laying, and the cool end temps should be monitored as well. What are you getting for temps readings?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!