Gargoyle gecko enclosure advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
wbieker5
Gargoyle gecko enclosure advice

I got a baby gargoyle gecko a little over a week ago. I am keeping him in this tub until he gets larger. He has not eaten much and I haven't found any poop. He is being fed CGD and has a water dish behind the cork bark. I have been misting whenever the humidity dips below 50 or 60 usually 2 light misting a day. He seems to have some sort of necrosis on his tail. Please any advice is welcome.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Old 10-27-2016, 03:18 AM   #2
Pasodama
The enclosure is not bad for a temporary home. Adding a fake leafy vine, over the open area, (& maybe even an extra little hide) would not be a bad idea. Babies, especially, like to feel pretty secure.
I, myself, like to have a bit more holes, in a tub, (than what it appears you have) but opinions could differ.

Cannot quite diagnose the cause of the bend in tail (could be due to one of a few things). However, the necrosis is very like due to having had a stuck shed, at end of tail, which ended up constricting blood flow. This is, of course, not reversible. It shouldn't affect the gecko's overall health and the end of the tail may just drop off.

Baby geckos don't eat a whole lot. This can make it seem that they are not eating.
Although, maybe adding another food dish, on opposite side of enclosure than the other food dish, could help.
Gargoyle geckos are not as avid an insect eater, as Cresties, etc., but you could try feeding appropriate sized crickets, or roaches, a couple/few days per week (in addition to the CGD). If eaten, great. If ignored, after some attempts, you could just bypass offering insects for awhile (or altogether if you wish).

Poops, of babies, will be quite small (usually one tiny "pellet" at any given BM) and can, very easily, be hidden in the bark, etc. (or "smooshed", at some point, when still "soft"). This could be the case here.
However, if you go over everything with a "fine toothed comb", and cannot find any, at all, you may want to revisit the question, as to "why", sometime shortly.
Although, if the gecko is behaving normally, there may not be a problem.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:28 AM   #3
Pasodama
Forgot to ask, what temps is your gargoyle baby being kept at?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
wbieker5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Forgot to ask, what temps is your gargoyle baby being kept at?

I'm keeping him at around 70-72 degrees with humidity ranging from 50-80%

Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Pasodama
I would keep 72 degrees as the lowest for daytime. Somewhere from 72 to 76 (or up to 78), for day temps, is okay.
Night temps can be a little lower, at 67 to 72 degrees, without a problem.

Make sure you allow the enclosure to dry out between mistings. In fact, the only time that humidity should rise to the level of 80%, to 100%, would be just after misting. Otherwise, humidity is okay at around 50% to 60%.

BTW Congrats on your new gecko!
Gargoyle geckos are awesome.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
wbieker5
Thanks for the advice. Its such a exciting species to own!

Old 11-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
TARDIS13
Welcome to the addiction! Auriculatus is one of the most interactive and currious of the rhacodactylus group. Your going to love it. And keep the in mind humid not wet. Just like pasodama was saying, humidity in the 60% range will be a nice happy place for your animal, otherwise you'll get all kinds of pesky molding and bacteria growth going on. Especially on the cork. So keep an eye on that, if mold does develop on the cork you can clean it off and bake it in the oven. Good luck! If you have any more questions feel free to ask your in a good place for that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!