PayPal fees - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
MrTPlush
I don't really advocate asking after a price has been agreed upon, but offering your item at $13 so you can make $10 then yes...yes I do. If that 3% is built in to your asking price and you don't outright ask for them to add 3% there is nothing wrong.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTPlush View Post
I don't really advocate asking after a price has been agreed upon, but offering your item at $13 so you can make $10 then yes...yes I do. If that 3% is built in to your asking price and you don't outright ask for them to add 3% there is nothing wrong.
Got you! Yes that I do agree with as if people ask upfront a price that they have already factored in some amount to cover PayPal fees then buyer knows the price to buy this animal is X not X×X. Buyer does not need to know seller has factored in a fee in selling price already.
What i have the problem with is when there is an advertised price, we agree, THEN they say, oh btw you need to add on 3% to cover PayPal fees...that is WRONG!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
What i have the problem with is when there is an advertised price, we agree, THEN they say, oh btw you need to add on 3% to cover PayPal fees...that is WRONG!
Wrong, cheap, and against Paypal's terms of service. If you, as a seller, really want that sale, eat the 3% for the credit card processing service Paypal is providing [i]you[/] to make that sale!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
MrTPlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Wrong, cheap, and against Paypal's terms of service. If you, as a seller, really want that sale, eat the 3% for the credit card processing service Paypal is providing [i]you[/] to make that sale!
I think you are making something out of nothing. Unless you actually ask the buyer to pay the fees I don't even think that is against the PayPal TOS. How are they paying for fees then? The buyer is paying that price for just the item as far as they know. If you ask more money to try and offset fees and someone buys it at that price seems pretty acceptable.

I guess I just fail to see the issue here. Do you ask everyone you deal with if they are including a bump in their asking price to cover fees to get a certain amount?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #15
MrTPlush
Whoops! My bad for some reason I thought that reply was quoting what I had said. Proceed on...

Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #16
snowgyre
It's pretty clear in PayPal's terms of service that sellers are not supposed to charge buyers that fee. If a seller is willing to violate PayPal's terms of service to try to make a quick buck, I question their ethics and business practices for the entire transaction, and I will back out of a purchase. It's about standing up for your rights as a buyer.

That said, in extenuating circumstances I will pay a good seller the 3% fee as a thank you (especially if they cut me a good deal), but if the seller explicitly asks for it, they've lost the sale. Suddenly that 3% doesn't seem to be such a big financial bite for a seller to take when we're talking about lost revenue if buyers actually used the protections PayPal provides them.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
That said, in extenuating circumstances I will pay a good seller the 3% fee as a thank you (especially if they cut me a good deal), but if the seller explicitly asks for it, they've lost the sale. Suddenly that 3% doesn't seem to be such a big financial bite for a seller to take when we're talking about lost revenue if buyers actually used the protections PayPal provides them.
I agree and have done the same in the past

Old 04-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
Just last night I lost out on what was imo a smoking deal but I refused to send the money( $2475) by friends&family or pay the 3% fee.
Sort of annoyed me to miss it but the only way we are going to fix this trend is by NOT complying with these seller demands that are actually against PayPal TOS.

I wonder if these sellers were reported to Paypal if it would make any difference?
Report the transaction, and include the request/demand for that payment method...especially if it shows them refusing to sell without it'

Old 04-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #19
hhmoore
Figuring out associated costs, and having them factored into the advertised price, is expected. No need to state "fees included"...and that statement could conceivably be a problem with PayPal.
Posting "gift or +_%" is a cue for most people to simply close the ad - or at least it use to be. (Ithink the social media sales have allowed that practice to grow significantly.)
Asking for gift or +_% when it wasn't posted is a total move, and generally makes the seller a by default. (Occasionally, the seller genuinely doesn't know the above, and is just doing what he sees others doing)

I won't make payments that way on principle...and the same principles dictate that I don't accept them. I have had people send gift payments or add extra for the fees, and I have refunded every such payment.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Herps Alive!
Quote:
It's pretty clear in PayPal's terms of service that sellers are not supposed to charge buyers that fee. If a seller is willing to violate PayPal's terms of service to try to make a quick buck, I question their ethics and business practices for the entire transaction, and I will back out of a purchase. It's about standing up for your rights as a buyer.

gets his 3% from the buyer (which, btw, I agree is wrong...cost of doing business). As a non-profit, we get a lower rate from PayPal, but many people choose to make donations as sending money to family and friends. If they ask which, we make clear that we cannot ask them to that, as it is a violation of the PayPal TOS. Rehoming fees must be sent as goods and services.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!