I got BIT...... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
BalloonzForU
I got BIT......

By the Crestie Bug! I keep 23 Leopard geckos (I should say they keep me), so I'm not new to geckos.

Cresties have their own cuteness that I just love. I have not bought one yet, however I'm eyeing one, and want to get him before someone else does. Don't find many of them by me. I got to hold him today, and he was just the sweetest thing. I was also shocked at the feel of their skin, very different from my Leos'. I don't know if it's a male or female, not planning on breeding, just as a pet, so the sex doesn't matter, except when naming.

So far the information I've found is:

Temps 70-80F
Humidity 80, mist viv daily
Lots of Climbing material (foilage)
Moist Hide
Food: Fruit Baby food, but I have not found out what fruits they preffer, or if any are not good for them. Some live foods, like crickets, waxworms (as treats), butterworms. No mealies too hard for them to eat.
Substrates: moss

What else am I missing? Anything major or even minor that I should keep in mind. Oh and if they drop a tail, does it grow back. I've seen them with dropped tails, but I have not seen one to my knowledge with a regenerated tail.

Thank you for any help you may have.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
nicolai
calcium and vitamins are a must, you can check the calcium sacs to see if they are getting enough. they love crickets, and wax worms. i give them a shallow drinking dish as well as misting the cages every morning. If you use the baby food get some of the crested gecko diet powder to mix in with it. t-rex makes the brand name one and a few breeders on here sell thier own make of it as well.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
GeckoStud
No if they drop their tails that's it they won't grow back. But it really isn't a hindrance to them as the don't store fat in their tail like leos do. As for bedding moss should be fine but i use Cypress mulch which seems to keep humidity really well. I was actually thinking of putting some moss in for a flare of eye candy though. As for viv type get tall one good for arboreal guys. I got that new exo-terra tall viv with the front and top opening and a bunch of other nice features.

O and as for babyfood flavors you could try pear, apricot, mango, mixed fruit, banana, etc. Just experiment to see what it likes. Mine for example doesn't really like apricot but loves the Chiquita banana. Have fun with the little guy/girl

O yeah i think i may have a pic of her tank i could show you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mocha's tank.JPG (57.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg mocha tank 2.JPG (53.2 KB, 91 views)

Old 02-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonzForU
No mealies too hard for them to eat.
Can I ask where you heard this? I kow a lot of breeders that feed their cresteds mealies, including me.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Palex134
i'd just like to say I have kept a few leos before. I find cresteds so much cooler. I breed cresteds now and they are easily the best gecko I have worked with. They are so cute. You will love them!

Old 02-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
CrazyRhacos
you can give them chicken or turkey baby food too.you can feed the T-rex crested gecko diet EXCLUSIVELY..and nothing else..or you can give them the clarks diet along wiht crickets 2 times a week..they can eat mealies..ive even given mine the big june bugs..

adn you say your not going to breed them..but im sure you will...hope this helps..
Oh heres a pic of my old enclosure i had my 1.2 in.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
USAGECKOS
I just got some of the Clarks' Frugivorous Geckos Diet, I am feeding my Cresteds and Gargoyle that about 4 times a week. And, I feed all my crested mealworms twice a week. They will all eat the mealworms, but my babies aren't crazy about them, but my juvies to adults, LOVE the mealworms. I just bought some Phoenix worms, I hear they are great for Cresteds and if you feed them the Phoenix worms you don't have to supplement them. I will see how they like them and let you all know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!