Bad Guy Exotic Serpents/Dave Chan - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Canadian Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Canadian Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the Canadian herp industry. YOUR FULL NAME is required for each message you post.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
Anonymous
Exotic Serpents/Dave Chan

I used to respect this guy and he tutored me when I first got into breeding.

His tutoring almost led me to bankruptcy as he told me to "only sell this snake for the price I tell you", and would then sell an almost identical snake for a third of what I had to sell it for, while the person next to me would sell it for even less.

That is not what my complaint is about. I knew his reputation but thought I was smart enough to get around it.

It has come to my attention that Dave Chan has started contacting vendors in BC with the soul aim to get them to boycott the BCRC shows and attend his own shows.

He is deliberately trying to badmouth the BC Reptile Club and turn people against them by spreading lies about fighting within the board and accusing them of destroying the reptile community in BC.

The board of directors at the BC Reptile Club are volunteers trying to educate the public and government.

The president and secretary/treasurer recently stepped down making the show they put on in September was done by people with not a lot of experience in hosting shows.

He is claiming that this was because of fighting within the board of directors. The vice president stepped up to president and is the husband of the former secretary/treasurer. I highly doubt he would have stepped up if members of the board forced his wife to quit.

I can only assume that the stress of coping with people like Dave Chan trying to destroy the club and the community is the reason they walked away.

Dave Chan is the only person trying to destroy the reptile community in BC and he is doing it to make a profit, and will destroy a non-profit to do so.

I beg everyone in BC to stand by the BC Reptile Club and allow them to continue doing there shows, there way.

If Dave Chan fails to make a profit from these shows they will disappear after one or two shows and then we will have nothing in BC.

This will not effect Dave Chan as he will continue to make money from breeding and attending shows outside of BC. This will effect small breeders in the BC community and leave them with nowhere to go.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

His tutoring almost led me to bankruptcy as he told me to "only sell this snake for the price I tell you", and would then sell an almost identical snake for a third of what I had to sell it for, while the person next to me would sell it for even less.
If I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it? Following ridiculous advice takes two people, and if they are both adults they are both at fault.

Quote:

It has come to my attention that Dave Chan has started contacting vendors in BC with the soul aim to get them to boycott the BCRC shows and attend his own shows.

He is deliberately trying to badmouth the BC Reptile Club and turn people against them by spreading lies about fighting within the board and accusing them of destroying the reptile community in BC.
Do you have some proof? Emails? So far it sounds like high school or one of those infamous fb brawls.
Have you notified Dave Chan of this thread about him?

Quote:

I can only assume that the stress of coping with people like Dave Chan trying to destroy the club and the community is the reason they walked away.
If one person allegedly making a lot of noise was too much for them, then maybe they needed to step down. The business world is not all milk and cookies.
Of course, they may have stepped down for a totally different reason. Why don't you contact them and ask them to post here instead of assuming the reasons for their decisions?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
K9dr
Hi anonymous. There are quite a few accusations you have put forth I agree with Lucille that that you need to be able to provide some eveidence to support your claim. Pending such I think we should wait to hear from other representatives of the Bc reptile club and their views

Old 11-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
ExoticSerpents
Exotic Serpents - David Chan's Reply

This post was brought to my attention from a Board of Director of BC Retile Club and here's my reply.

You say you used to be tutored by me in the breeding of snakes, I think you are sadly mistaken. Base on your profile "Anonymous" - Robert Jones of Edmonton AB ... I DON'T KNOW YOU AT ALL!

You say you knew my reputation and that you were smart enough to get around it. Just exactly what does that mean? As far as I know and have heard, my company has been in very good standing with the reptile community and as for my businesses, I have never had a complaint. If you are that smart, how is it that you almost allowed someone to take you into bankruptcy? Your writings only prove that you are a very ignorant person and that if you knew me at all, you would have been man enough to talk to me face to face rather than hiding behind a key board or a fake profile and spewing out misinformation. I can take the good with the bad, I am blunt to a fault, so I see no reason why if you say you were tutored by me then you should know that I am very approachable with anything.

In the 23 years that I have been involved with the reptile industry and of all the people that we have mentored, only 2 have stepped out of the business. One was due to the fact that his job required him to travel too much in order for him to take care of the snakes and the other was a couple who could not handle the fact that everyone was attacking them for the prices they were asking for the snakes, therefore they stepped out of the business. Also, just so you know, I bought back every single animal from them at the same retail price I sold it to them for. I did not want them to lose money on their investment due to the fact they could not handle the type of insults and stress they were getting over the internet. Isn't the internet great?

I do know that I have advised other breeders that have complained about not being able to make money at shows or that if this is a viable business, due to others low balling their animals to make a sale. I have told people to not worry about others prices, just charge what is market value. As for the comment of me selling animals under market prices is totally false, show me one client that has gotten a better deal than what was marked on the price tag. If he is a good customer, they may get at most 10% discount on the animal. I would be willing to open up my books for the last 23 years to you to prove what all animals I have sold and none of them were sold as you stated.

In fact, before most clients buy from me, I always tell them that we are probably more expensive than most breeders due to the fact we offer 24/7 service free of charge, we invest in top line F3 genetics and we give a 2 year conditional warranty for all animals that we produce to be free of all and any genetic defects within the animal.

My wife and I have taken many calls late around 1:00 a.m. due to the fact their boa just gave birth and did not know what to do. My wife and I would be there within the hour to help them get everything cleaned up and sorted out. This is the type of service our clients get when dealing with us.

If you came so close to bankruptcy, that just shows your ignorance to financing or over breeding to the point you could not keep up with the cost of breeding these animals in the first place. Bankruptcy is your responsibility, not mine!

I fail to see the point of you criticizing me for my actions when it comes to the BCRC. You have no clue as to what you are talking about. The reason for the previous president and vice president stepping down has nothing to do with what I have done or spoken to them about. In fact, I have never spoken to the former president of the BCRC and the former secretary/treasurer stepped down for personal reasons.

I wanted a meeting with the former president to discuss a troubling issue at the Spring 2016 BCRC Reptile Show, but he resigned, therefore no meeting ever happened. The problem was that one of the breeders had sold a pair of animals diagnosed with IBD. It was brought to my attention by the purchaser of those animals and that she was pissed off that all of her snakes was quarantined by a veterinarian for a period of 1 year in which she was not allowed to breed any animals, nor bring in any new animals or sell any of her animals, yet the breeder with animals diagnosed with IBD, was allowed to vend.

An investigation into these animals by Dr. Adrian Walton, confirmed IBD problem and it was suggested to the former president of the BCRC that this breeder should be banned from doing the shows for 1 year. The former president flexed his seniority and allowed the vendor to do the show, due to the fact they were close friends. This bad judgment, was the only reason I stepped in. By allowing a breeder to sell animals with IBD at the show put all breeders' animals at high risk of contaminating others animals with the incurable virus. Perhaps you don't care about this situation, but just so you know, there are many breeders who invested good money into their breeding stock, the last thing they need is for any of their snakes at the show to catch the virus and be taken back to infect their whole collection.

The most important thing that I wanted the BCRC to know is that they are personally liable if they are not an incorporated non - profit organization. Even if they were incorporated as a limited corporation, BCRC would be liable for their negligence. Hell, if every breeder who attended the show and their animals caught IBD, it would be an open & shut case in the courts. They would be liable for at least over a million dollars in damages, possibly several million.

What I wanted BCRC to know is that there are rules to be enforced whether they'd be friends or enemies. It is the mandate of the BCRC to create a positive and healthy environment for all hobbyists and breeders. There should be no special treatment of any one vendor. If you don't understand that, then you are definitely not the type of person I would ever have lifted a hand to mentor. It is obvious that you have no clue as to what you are writing about, that I am looking to put the BCRC out of business.

I have spoken to several vendors and they can tell you flat out that you are wrong. My business plan for the new shows, if I were to put them on, would be a profit sharing show, whereby 60% of profits would be retained in our company and the other 40% of the net profits would be split among all vendors. Why would I do that? The reason being is that it is the vendors who make the shows a success, so why should they not share in the success of the shows?

I have been in business for well over 38 years, doing manufacturing, restaurant business, import exports, financial and business consultant and managing funds and over that time, I have never ever been told that I was greedy, in fact most would say that I was very generous as they all got profit sharing or dividends for their loyal service within my businesses.
I also run a snake breeding fund where investors can invest their monies and get good returns on their investment. I have yet to hear from one dissatisfied investor over the years that I have ran this fund.

The main thing that I was trying to get across to BCRC, is to uphold their mandate. To be professional and take care of the reptile community, without politics or favoritism.

On October 28th, 2016, the BCRC had a AGM meeting in which I was asked attend and present the issues to them so that they could correct the issues that has been going on for the past few years. I welcome you to send a email, or call any current Board of Director of the BCRC to verify the facts. In fact, they called this AGM meeting to be the best and productive meeting they've ever had.

Attached, copy of email sent to most vendors that attended the Fall 2016 BCRC Reptile Show. People can make their own judgment as to where I am coming from and my true intentions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf EMAIL to BCRC Vendors by Exotic Serpents (Sept 2016).pdf (58.4 KB, 36 views)

Old 11-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticSerpents View Post
The main thing that I was trying to get across to BCRC, is to uphold their mandate. To be professional and take care of the reptile community, without politics or favoritism.
Sounds like a very well worded, reasonable explanation and response. It appears you are looking out for the welfare of everyone involved.

As far the OP "Robert Jones" goes:
1. I don't know him
2. This was his one and only post & visit to Fauna. After his post he has not been back.
3. His IP points to Maple Ridge - 11 hrs away from Edmonton listed in his profile.
4. He disabled his email from his contact preferences.
5. "Anonymous" in his name.
6. Lucille asked "Do you have some proof? Emails?" and nothing additional was provided.

As a reader I give him almost zero credibility from his profile alone, then to add the words "I can only assume that..." illustrates he is simply sharing his "thoughts/conspiracy" versus any actual "knowledge" of the situation.

Without any "proof"...
Score 1 for Dave Chan
Score -1 for Anonymous

Old 11-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
CTCPREDATOR
David Chan & BCRC

I must post a positive response in regards to the allegations set forth in this BOI against David Chan. I speak for myself, not for the BCRC, although I am a board member. I have known David for more than a dozen years and have always had good dealings with him both personal and business related as he is a very good customer of mine.

We just had our AGM last Friday evening and David was in attendance. He brought forth many points that will do the club well in organizing the next show and has offered to work with the club to make our next show a most successful show from many stand points. I know the board and club look forward to working with David in the very near future to bring our reptile shows up to a higher standard that will in turn benefit the reptile community as a whole.

Sincerely, Judica Schon

Old 11-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
ExoticSerpents
Exclamation Reward Offered by David Chan - Exotic Serpents

I take my personal and business reputation very seriously.

I am offering $1000.00 reward to anyone who can; identify the author; provide evidence; and be willing to testify in court as to who this person is that false claims against me on the Canadian BOI thread.

Thanks, to Robert Walker information ... This "Anonymous" - Robert Jones of Edmonton Alberta, seems to be a fake profile as the IP address is actually from Maple Ridge, BC and I certainly don't know anyone name Robert Jones.

Quote:
As far the OP "Robert Jones" goes:
1. I don't know him
2. This was his one and only post & visit to Fauna. After his post he has not been back.
3. His IP points to Maple Ridge - 11 hrs away from Edmonton listed in his profile.
4. He disabled his email from his contact preferences.
5. "Anonymous" in his name.
6. Lucille asked "Do you have some proof? Emails?" and nothing additional was provided.
My plan is to sue this person for damages and all monies gained from the law suit will be donated to the BCRC less the cost of the law suit.

I can be contacted at via email from this thread or email me at keepers@exoticserpents.com or call my office number at 604-277-8097.

Thank you,
David Chan

Old 11-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
pythons9991
Good guy-David Chan of Exotic Serpents

This is a post in support of David Chan, I first met Dave at a BCRC show back in 2011, At this time I was just getting into ball pythons. I was at the Exotic Serpents vendor table checking out their snakes, Dave introduced himself and we began talking about ball pythons, I ended up buying a ball python from Dave that day and quickly realized that Dave has a strong passion for snakes and honestly wants to share this passion with people new to the scene and was willing to go well out of his way to educate me and help me out, fast forward to 2016 and I am now successfully breeding ball pythons, Dave mentored me to help me get to where I am today, I can truly say that he has given me sound advice along the way and I have bought and will continue to buy many high quality snakes from him. After reading the original negative post about Dave one thing I can say with conviction is Dave never undercuts market pricing and like he mentioned above actually has higher prices than most other breeders due to his high level of customer service/guarantees and high quality animals. As far as Dave getting involved with the BCRC I know for a fact Dave is honestly trying to help the BCRC and has nothing but the best intentions moving forward.

Richard Broadhead
Pacific Pythons

Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Andy_G
The original post screamed BS even before any replies, but it's been made crystal clear with the replies that the intent of the OP was to make David Chan look bad for whatever personal reason. We don't need this in our hobby.

David Chan - I wish you luck in finding out who this lying coward is and moving forward with things accordingly.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
RRAES
I've known David and his wife for many years, they're both stand up people in the reptile community.
I'm also a board member on the BCRC and attended the AGM last week. David made a fabulous presentation to the board and offered to help in any way to better the club, NOT destroy it.

Since it appears the OP has a fake account, I'm wondering why this thread is even here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!