Herpin' in IL. Is this a milk, prairie king or eastern fox? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
dpfecarotta
Herpin' in IL. Is this a milk, prairie king or eastern fox?

Ok so this will be my thread for the Herping I have done, specifically and limited to my experience from early september and thereafter. I will come back and type my story in more length.

In the meantime, I have to hit the Gym. Here is a guy I found at my local state park. He was under a trash can lying on the dirt underneath. It was considerably dry underneath and i could barely tolerate fingertipping the drum cuz it was dead in the sun.

So, what do you guys think. At first i thought Eastern Fox snake, but not anymore. Here in our herpetology lab we are debating, my professor thinks its Lampropeltis Triangulum or Lampropeltis calligaster. I think its the latter. I can recall the body being "loaf-like" in cross-section terms. The scales may very well have been lightly keeled. I was so excited that I took a bunch of pictures but never slowed down to actually take down observations for identifying. I was focused on picturing the animal and then returning it ASAP as to minimize energy loss and whatnot.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Tim Cole
That's a Prairie King.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
dodgedart
Prairie King.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
LampropeltisCollector
Yup Lampropeltis calligaster calligaster it is! nice snake!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
mxracer4life
Definitely a Prairie king. Catch em all the time down here in Southern IL. Further down south they tend to be more Grey and washed out.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Beardiefreak26
where in southern Illinois do you guys catch this beautiful snakes all i can ever find is red sided garters and three lined garters and a few black rat snakes and i live in Edwards county right by Evansville Indiana

Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
GreenTreePython13
Like the others said, Prairie King

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiefreak26 View Post
where in southern Illinois do you guys catch this beautiful snakes all i can ever find is red sided garters and three lined garters and a few black rat snakes and i live in Edwards county right by Evansville Indiana
I find them more around marsh type areas or around lakes/ponds. I know they are common in large fields as well. Very hard to find, tend to burrown under vegetation and such. I do a lot of fishing, and always seem to find them around ponds/lakes. While keeping one under observation a couple years ago, it would only eat small frogs, lizards or snakes, never would take a small mouse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!