killed over live? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
The Python Lab
killed over live?

Ok, I had a thread on this female before, my 100% het albino female. I had gotten her to start eating, but only rat pinks and fuzzies. Anything else that moved she was afraid of, so I made up my mind to sell her. I called a couple people and let them know she was up for sale and put an ad on my facebook for a local sale, then something told me I should try gassing a rat pup and offering it to her. I had to leave it on the bottom of the tub because she wouldn't take it off tongs, but she did take it. Today, two days later, I did the same with a weanling rat and within an hour she took it as well. Has anyone had a snake that preferred pre killed over live or that was too skittish to eat live?( P.S. She used to take live, no idea why she refuses now )

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
crissabella
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenspets View Post
Ok, I had a thread on this female before, my 100% het albino female. I had gotten her to start eating, but only rat pinks and fuzzies. Anything else that moved she was afraid of, so I made up my mind to sell her. I called a couple people and let them know she was up for sale and put an ad on my facebook for a local sale, then something told me I should try gassing a rat pup and offering it to her. I had to leave it on the bottom of the tub because she wouldn't take it off tongs, but she did take it. Today, two days later, I did the same with a weanling rat and within an hour she took it as well. Has anyone had a snake that preferred pre killed over live or that was too skittish to eat live?( P.S. She used to take live, no idea why she refuses now )
When you were feeding it live, and she took it, was there any incidents where the prey item could have injured the snake when the snake went to strike and then constrict?
This is the only thing i can think of, that the snake somehow may have gotten an injury, and that made her skittish of any live prey that was offered to her.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
axeman
I have a female that took small rats without any troubles. One day I opened her tub while she was eating. She spit out the rat and would not eat very well for me after that. I think she has had only 3 meals in 3 months. Tried ASF's and she has had 3 meals in 3 weeks. I didn't want to feed ASF's but I have a pastel that will only eat ASF's so what is 1 more. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
The Python Lab
Yeah I have 2 females that will only eat mice. Luckily when they eat they eat 5-6 mice each feeding. As long as this one continues to eat pre killed ill be happy to feed her them. Next meal I am going to try maybe a small - med rat and see how that goes. She was 809g before the last 2 meals.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
AdamR
I have an albino that does the same thing. She will take live but if it comes too close to her at any point she won't eat after that, but if I stun the prey or simply kill it then she usually will take it. No bites from any prey that I've seen so I don't know why she's so scared. She's just a big wuss!!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Utta
When I saw this, I was expecting a story with a sad pic at the end. Relived that's not what it is lol.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
The Python Lab
I'm feeling good. 3 meals in 4 days. She went from a rat pup to a weaned rat to a small rat today. She's the first to eat live then refuse them for pre killed. But if she keeps eating pre killed like this I will have my shot at albinos sometime this season. * crosses fingers *

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!