question... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
pogonadragon
question...

Ok, I hope I'm not asking something someone has already asked. And I hope I don't seem like a dummy, but here goes. Do balls pythons constrict? I was potentially going to get a corn snake, but that fell through I think. I don't really know if I'd get a ball python, but wanted to look into it in case (I know nothing about these guys)...
Thanks.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
CornNut
Ball pythons constrict their prey like most other non venomous snakes.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #3
darkbloodwyvern
sure do

my male will constrict like nobody's bussiness... for five minutes... until he realizes, "hey, i think it's dead!" I feed F/T it's so cute, i've never had usch a cautious constrictor before

Old 12-03-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Dr Owens
A pretty good rule of thumb is that a snake will either use venom or constriction to kill it's food.

Oh yeah...and ball pythons are not venomous.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens
A pretty good rule of thumb is that a snake will either use venom or constriction to kill it's food.
I'll have to point that rule out to some kingsnakes I have kept...they seemed to prefer compression over constriction. (was pretty funny to watch them immobilize 3-4 mice by pressing them against the walls of their container, while eating another)

Old 12-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Scott Ashton
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens

Oh yeah...and ball pythons are not venomous.

Hmmm........

I've never seen my cobra constrict anything...............does that mean????

Uh oh..............................................

Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Dr Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavemycoinpurse
Hmmm........

I've never seen my cobra constrict anything...............does that mean????

Uh oh..............................................
Uhhhh...yeah...it means stop giving it little kisses!

Old 12-05-2005, 03:09 AM   #8
pogonadragon
OK, thanks everyone! I would like a snake and wanted to know... and yes, I do research before I acquire anything to make sure I know how to properly care for my animals...
Also, I'm wondering what kind of a "grip" they get when they constrict? And do they tend to mistake a hand for food?

Thanks... sorry if my questions seem silly, but I don't know how to eloquently word them and was just kind of wondering...

Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Scott Ashton
Angelica:

The grip isn't so strong that you couldn't break it yourself, although that's probably little consolation to their prey.

My female really doesn't appear to put the death grip on the f/t rats that I feed her, its more like she is just holding them in order to get them in her pie hole.

As far as mistaking your hand for pray, as long as you aren't holding the prey or haven't been handling prey without washing your hands - there should not be a problem. I liken it to this - I have a dog who loves me to death and wouldn't bite me for any reason except.......if i got my hand between him and his food. He loves me, but he loves food more.

-Scott

Old 12-05-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
darkbloodwyvern
eager feeders

i have not been bitten by my male, or known anyone chomped by their bp, but they feed by either dropping the prey (F/T) into a tall box and letting them snag it, or grabbing the prey with hemostats. i love the stats, because i can wiggle the mice around so that they look like they are alive. he will usually strike faster this way. However, be sure to do a few things when feeding. i feed Frozen and Thawed rodents, so some of this may not be neccessary if you fee prekilled or stunned. i personally recommend FT is at all possible.
Don't use your hands to feed. use tongs or hemostats.
Most animals react in fear towards an unknown object that is coming towards them. when you wiggle the FT, move it side to side in front of the snake, or away from it. They will respond to the "running away" motion as a chase, but since many snakes are head-shy, they may be afraid of the food item if you move it towards their head quickly, because it may be percieved as an attack.
Be careful where you put the prey, i know some snakes are so eager, they strike and hit their own bodies in thier eagerness to feed, and it seems to make them momentarily hesitant to strike again after realizing they are chomping their tail
Afterwards, they may have a feeding response if you don't let them calm down and realize they aren't getting more food. I don't know exactly how long to let them be, but i give all my snakes about five to fifteen minutes after they finish swallowing to "cool down" so that they don't bite me mistaking me for prey. It may not be necessary, but i try to take as many precautions as possible. It helps if they are eating the right amount of food per meal, they are much calmer after a medium-large meal (appropriate for their size of course, not too big) than a "snack". besides, one feeding per week means fewer poops per week which is a benefit for most... good luck, they are cool animals!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!